BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 4, 2012 11:09 am  #1

the Symmetry and Balance of BBC Sherlock

The first scene

The last scene

Everything about this show is beautifully orchestrated.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 4, 2012 12:26 pm  #2

Re: the Symmetry and Balance of BBC Sherlock

Awesome! Coincidence or done on purpose? And how the heck did you notice that - how many times have you watched it, lol?!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 4, 2012 12:31 pm  #3

Do NOT ask embarrassing questions like that! I usually pop it on when I feel like having a 'nana nap', lol. Of course it makes it hard to fall asleep then, but oh well.
But I do recall Moftiss chatting about McGuigan using symmetry when he directs so I often look for it myself now, no matter who directed that particular show. Mostly the symmetry is in the actual shot, but sometimes it's subtler like the symmetry of Sherlock and Irene both dressing 'for battle' and using blood as their 'make up'.

I have no way of telling if it is on purpose, but I'd like to think so.

Last edited by kazza474 (March 4, 2012 12:31 pm)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 4, 2012 1:19 pm  #4

kazza474 wrote:

like the symmetry of Sherlock and Irene both dressing 'for battle' and using blood as their 'make up'.

I like that sequence!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 4, 2012 10:09 pm  #5

The other thing about the Reichenbach Fall episode is that it starts with John and his counsellor and then revolves around again towards the end of the episode to them again. John cannot speak aloud what his counsellor knows he needs to say for his own well-being. This is then what he says at Sherlocks graveside, which brings the episode full circle. Whereas in the first scene John manages to splutter out the works that his friend Sherlock Holmes is dead, in the very final scene and final shot it is clear that, whilst John thinks he is dead, but still cannot really believe it, Sherlock is not dead at all.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera