BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2014 7:13 pm  #1

Mistakes?

I was wondering if you had noticed some mistakes in the episode?

Continuity ones, incoherences... even the slightest ones? (I'm not saying everything has to be perfect and all, but I'm like that, I like noticing details while watching a movie/show, it's not in a critical way, just for fun)

Someone already mentioned the fact that Sherlock seems to heal very quickly from the torture (see "Beating and aftermath" topic). Any others?

There's one I noticed, tell me if I'm wrong:

When John is shaving, Mary is sitting in bed, quoting an article from John's blog and it goes like this:

"Don't read that!"
"The famous blog, finally!"

Well, to me, it implies she's just discovered the blog. The story takes place at the beginning of November, yet I remembered having read comments by Mary on the blog before.

Have a look for yourself: http://johnwatsonblog.co.uk/comments/marymorstan

She posted her first comment in April, so it's not like the blog's new to her, is it?

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 4, 2014 7:19 pm)

Just like old times...

January 4, 2014 7:19 pm  #2

Re: Mistakes?

I don't know if there is any direct connection between the blog writer and the Sherlock team. They filmed it in March/April, long before the blog entries started again. So this could simply be a mistake by the blog writer who might not have known the episode. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 7:35 pm  #3

There's something I noticed on the first viewing.
The disappering car from the tube train.
As you know, the trains are exactly as long as the platforms.
The camera the guy with the Peruvian hat got the footage from is fixed to the wall at the very end of the platform. After the car has disappeared, there's no gap at the end of the train to be seen.
It's not likely the driver has stopped the train exactly a car length earlier to give the camera at the end of the platform the impression the train was still whole.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (January 4, 2014 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 4, 2014 7:51 pm  #4

Swanpride wrote:

I actually checked if I would have been able to spot the missing car...and yes, I would have been, if I paid attention. The camera angle nearly conceals it, but on the second you can see that there is something missing at the end.

And since when are trains exactly as long as the platforms? They are as long as they need to be, in my experience. Or is it different in Britain? Here we have sometimes two tube trains behind each other on the same platform, which will drive in different directions later on.

No, in London the tube trains are exactly as long as the platforms - different to our trains in Germany.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 4, 2014 7:57 pm  #5

Not sure about the time line, in Many Happy Returns, John does not have a mustache but he has a very full mustache by The Empty Hearse.

January 4, 2014 8:06 pm  #6

When Mrs Hudson starts speaking to the boys after putting the tea on the table she  passes by the skull poster whilst speaking. A moment later when she responds to them with  'both of you' she passes by the poster again.

January 4, 2014 8:21 pm  #7

Well, according to the newspaper, Lestrade looked at at the end of 'Many happy returns' it would have taken place at the beginning of Novembre 2012 (the football match Schalke vs. Arsenal was on 11/6/12). But that doesn't fit to the date of the associated blog post also (10/5). Well, I suppose the producers just didn't pay much attention if the dates are fitting completly because only some nitpickers like us notice  .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 4, 2014 8:23 pm  #8

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Not sure about the time line, in Many Happy Returns, John does not have a mustache but he has a very full mustache by The Empty Hearse.

Do we know how much time passes between these episodes? There must be at least six months in between, the time Mary says she has endured John's scratchy moustache. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2014 8:32 pm  #9

SusiGo wrote:

Regina Alexandra wrote:

Do we know how much time passes between these episodes? There must be at least six months in between, the time Mary says she has endured John's scratchy moustache. 

Yeah, John and Mary have been together 6 months by TEH but they weren't together in Many Happy Returns, were they? Or maybe they were. Perhaps John was moustache-less when he met Mary then decided to grow one?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2014 8:47 pm  #10

Yeah, still according to the blog (though Susi may be right: those who make the blog may not consult the writers and vice versa, even if I still think Mofftiss must keep an eye on it), I'd say that they started dating at the end of April or a bit later (on April 20, Mary says "let's go for a drink later." and Harry says "who's Mary?")

Just like old times...

January 5, 2014 11:19 am  #11

I never thought that it was the first time she discovered the blog. I think she intended to remind John on what he had written once about Sherlock to help them come together again ("I´ll talk him round"). So this means she had knowledge about the blog before and picked out the respective chapter.

January 5, 2014 11:58 am  #12

anjaH_alias wrote:

I never thought that it was the first time she discovered the blog. I think she intended to remind John on what he had written once about Sherlock to help them come together again ("I´ll talk him round"). So this means she had knowledge about the blog before and picked out the respective chapter.

That was also my impression.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 12:12 pm  #13

Final Probelm dsicussed the blood on pavement issue here. http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/72216672034/lazarus-solution-continuity-issue-blood-on-the
If the third explantion is the real one, this could be a mistake. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John : Intelligent, fine. Let's give smart ass a wide berth.
Sherlock :  I'll just be myself.

January 5, 2014 12:27 pm  #14

Maybe this is the 'liar' part?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 1:49 pm  #15

God, why do so many people believe that we will get another theory 'the real one'. We won't. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

January 5, 2014 2:46 pm  #16

Well,it's not a mistake and am no one to judge,but Colonel Sebastian Moran was written in a high profile by Conan Doyle. Before the episode was released,I was expecting to see how they showed Moran. Holmes describes him as the 'second most dangerous man in London'. He didn't quite seem so. Although his plan was elaborate and brutal,the actor didn't add much to the character. Seemed more like Lord Moron. Well,he wasn't that bad. 
Also,I believe that it is Charles Augustus Milverton/Magnussen at the end,regardless of who he is,why is he watching the same footage over multiple number of projectors?

Last edited by ruthinks (January 5, 2014 3:22 pm)

January 5, 2014 3:59 pm  #17

Sanaz, good that you posted the link to the finalproblem.tumblr. The observations about the missing blood puddle under the corpse, which was very visible and had a very peculiar shape in TRF, is a good catch. It's hard to believe in such a gross continuity error. The lady, who owns this tumblr is very observant and one of the saner analyzers. While I don't share many of her conclusions, she very good in detecting illogical things and discrepancies. I'm more confident now, that we will see another solution.
Mary Me, Hi from Germany. Bear with us 'conspiracy theorists', lol! This is fiction and fun for many. And it would be good story telling, if Mofftiss have another ace in the sleeve, at least IMO. If nothing more comes forward, we will admit to having been wrong. Until then, let us theorize and point out weirdnesses and mistakes. The lady from finalproblem tumbrl put a hashtag on all TEH doubting posts, so that all, who are not interested in speculating anymore, can avoid it.

January 5, 2014 4:13 pm  #18

But can we please all accept that Moriarty is dead?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2014 4:18 pm  #19

besleybean, yes we can. Or, at least I can.

January 5, 2014 4:20 pm  #20

It's just that I honestly think poor Mark will explode, if one more persan asks him AGAIN!

Board footera