BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2014 9:47 pm  #1

So that "clue everyone has missed". Do we know what that is?

?

(I do realise there is an strong argument for us not actually having heard the true in Sherlock's explaination to Anderson)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

January 2, 2014 9:57 pm  #2

Re: So that "clue everyone has missed". Do we know what that is?

I still think that the clue is that the whole plan was started by Mycroft and Sherlock. The story doesn´t begin with Moriarty´s Tower-break in and the trial, as we might think while watching the film for the first time. Or at least I did. No, the two brothers tried to elicit Moriarty out of his web. This is explained in the  Anderson-Theory, and if I remember right, Moffat gave that sentence very early, two days after the first airing of TRF. At this time most of the theories were just circling around how Sherlock survived the fall. But that we have to look with total different eyes on the whole story was not described. Or they have missed it under the flood of armpit-, truck- or faked blood-theories.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 9:59 pm)

January 2, 2014 10:14 pm  #3

but...I think that was suggested, wasn't it, that sherlock was in on it from the start and that it was all planned?

I am sure either Mofatt or Gatiss has made a similar statement more recently about no one getting it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"

January 2, 2014 10:18 pm  #4

No, I at least haven´t heard anything about a recent comment. The article once about "the clue which everybody missed" was published short after the airing of TRF.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 10:19 pm)

January 2, 2014 10:39 pm  #5

I think they meant that there was a dead guy out there that looked like Sherlock.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 2, 2014 10:41 pm  #6

Which also was referred to in the Anderson-solution....

January 2, 2014 10:43 pm  #7

sj4iy wrote:

I think they meant that there was a dead guy out there that looked like Sherlock.

actually, yeah, that works. I don't remember seeing that anywhere and I remember going "duh, of course" when Sherlock said it.

January 2, 2014 11:06 pm  #8

beekeeper wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

actually, yeah, that works. I don't remember seeing that anywhere and I remember going "duh, of course" when Sherlock said it.

I'm sure I've seen that somewhere. Although it might have been that the kidnapper was wearing a mask that looked like Sherlock. To be honest, I think that's a bit more likely. What are the chances of being able to find someone who looked enough like Sherlock to be able to pull it off? How would they find him? Seems a bit far fetched.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 3, 2014 1:13 am  #9

I read somewhere that every single person in the world has a doppelganger somewhere else...not sure how true that is...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 3, 2014 2:42 am  #10

Unless Steven Moffat ever cares to elaborate on that remark, I don't think we will ever find out. Perhaps someone can arrange a "holiday" to that torture chamber in Serbia for the co-creators.

Last edited by Regina Alexandra (January 3, 2014 2:43 am)

January 3, 2014 11:59 am  #11

I thought, when I watched it, the clue was the screaming girl and the double. I always thought that was a bit of a loose end, but the mask just seemed too ridiculous to me. 

January 3, 2014 12:33 pm  #12

another clue that I hadn't heard anyone mention was the fact that Mycroft had a sniper on Moriarty's sniper and intervened and that is why Moriarty's sniper packed up and went

"What Life? I've been away"

'"Shut up John! I don't want everyone knowing I'm still alive"

January 3, 2014 2:06 pm  #13

I think the fact with the masked kidnapper was too obvious to be the key..Moriarty used the mask for confusing Donovan and Lestrade - to lessen their trust to Sherlock and to start his medial "downfall"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

January 3, 2014 8:55 pm  #14

yk, I am starting to wonder if it hasn't been revealed which makes me think maybe Sherlock wasn't telling the truth to Anderson after all....

January 3, 2014 9:20 pm  #15

I don't remember their actual phrasing but I'm convinced now that the out of character moment was for MYCROFT. 

January 4, 2014 3:01 am  #16

Guys, I admit I haven't read all of this thread but you need to remember that Moffatt made this comment only a few days after the episode airs. Since then we've had TWO YEARS of further theorising. There is no longer a clue that was missed; we found it, whatever it was. We can't not have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 4, 2014 9:28 am  #17

TBH I think most theories were actually suggested in the first few days anyway. I can't think of any that I read a little later and thought, wow, thats new. 

Except the identical corpse. I'd read the mask theory, but the identical corpse, no. I think I might have read that a lot more recently but what I remember everyone was saying back in the days after was that someone had worn a mark.

January 4, 2014 1:48 pm  #18

Hello guys..maybe this is off topic...but did anyone figure out the reason behind Sherlock's tears in The Reichenbach Hall? I saw the Empty Hearse ystrday in India..found the entire show amazing but couldnt find any reasoning behind the 'tears'..anyone have any clue? Honestly, i had found Sherlock's crying really 'out -of-character' thing..what could be the reason he cried..? Doesn't make sense if he did it only to make the entire thing realistic in front of John..as John coudn't have seen those tears from such a long distance...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

January 4, 2014 2:02 pm  #19

Sherlockita wrote:

Hello guys..maybe this is off topic...but did anyone figure out the reason behind Sherlock's tears in The Reichenbach Hall? I saw the Empty Hearse ystrday in India..found the entire show amazing but couldnt find any reasoning behind the 'tears'..anyone have any clue? Honestly, i had found Sherlock's crying really 'out -of-character' thing..what could be the reason he cried..? Doesn't make sense if he did it only to make the entire thing realistic in front of John..as John coudn't have seen those tears from such a long distance...

I always imagined his tears and the whole apology "i am a fake" thing to be for the benefit of any of Moriarty's men who might have been listening in and that he couldn't be certain that the whole thing wasn't being watched more closely or even filmed - Moriarty had already put cameras in their flat so he knew he was capable of doing something like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2014 2:07 pm  #20

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Sherlockita wrote:

I always imagined his tears and the whole apology "i am a fake" thing to be for the benefit of any of Moriarty's men who might have been listening in and that he couldn't be certain that the whole thing wasn't being watched more closely or even filmed - Moriarty had already put cameras in their flat so he knew he was capable of doing something like that.

Yes..that makes sense! Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

Board footera