BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2014 4:45 pm  #81

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

Definitely Moriarty is dead and I don't know if we will get any more Fall explanation, I hope that's it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2014 5:16 pm  #82

Whether the explanations so far were all Anderson's fantasies or not, it really doesn't
matter to me. Just as I choose not to take seriously the how and why behind the
ridiculous dreamlike Irene-saving scene at the end of A Scandal in Belgravia,  time to enjoy and just move on.

January 2, 2014 6:37 pm  #83

But it's such a cop out if they NEVER explain it. Like, the biggest cop out in the history of television.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2014 6:40 pm  #84

Which is what some people feared...maybe it will come up much later.
I still wonder if Sherlock will ever tell John about Irene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2014 6:42 pm  #85

I would have been perfectly happy with that theory and that explanation IF HE'D TOLD IT TO JOHN. It's only the fact that he told it to Anderson and the rest of the circumstances around the scene that made me doubt it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 2, 2014 6:43 pm  #86

Keep in mind Anderson IS a forensic scientist.  He's not a fast as Holmes, not a brilliant, not as observant, but he uses the same methods Holmes does,  It will just take him longer to work out the solution, and he'll probably have it long before Watson figures it out.

January 2, 2014 7:02 pm  #87

i don't mind the fact that he told Anderson, I think that scene is absoloutley brilliant, but its where the scene came in and how Anderson is 'disappointed' and starts going mental that causes uncertainty. i thought the show as a whole was amazingly clever and I don't think the writers would have left in uncertainty by accident... there has to be a reason why they did it... either let us decide ourselves or hopefully that we get the 'real' or a more in depth confident explaination of what happened

"What Life? I've been away"

'"Shut up John! I don't want everyone knowing I'm still alive"

January 2, 2014 7:24 pm  #88

Theory No 3 is a perfectly workable solution... but, besides having many holes, it's also the most boring one, at least IMO. Also Mofftiss kept saying, when we all speculated, that we were missing something, and no one had hit at the right solution. But the one, we were presented with yesterday was out there (with technical variations) right from the start. Has anyone noticed btw, that No 3 is simply the way, it was filmed? Keep the street clear with set people, let Sherlock jump on a huge pillow, throw a corpse or dummy down, so you can film the crash. Substitute the set workers with the homeless network and explain the missing pulse with the squash ball, and you have Theory No 3. Which could perfectly be, what Mofftis had in mind, when they conceived this, and when the avalange of theories flooded the net, they had to add a few ironical twists in order to keep everybody happy and guessing on forever. But, frankly, I expected, and still expect more from those brilliant writers. And, somehow I cannot believe, that they gave everything away in the first episode of the third season. At the moment I think, that ALL theories, which were presented so far, contain a kernel of the right solution, since each theory seem to explain something, but not everything. But then again, it's only evolving fiction. Maybe, they choose to cop out, because it just became to big to handle. In which case, we simply have to enjoy season 3 on it's own merit and forget the promises 'Reichenbach Fall' seemed to make. But I'm still hoping for a more satisfying explanation.

January 2, 2014 7:26 pm  #89

sherlocked wrote:

Theory No 3 is a perfectly workable solution... but, besides having many holes, it's also the most boring one, at least IMO. Also Mofftiss kept saying, when we all speculated, that we were missing something, and no one had hit at the right solution. But the one, we were presented with yesterday was out there (with technical variations) right from the start. Has anyone noticed btw, that No 3 is simply the way, it was filmed? Keep the street clear with set people, let Sherlock jump on a huge pillow, throw a corpse or dummy down, so you can film the crash. Substitute the set workers with the homeless network and explain the missing pulse with the squash ball, and you have Theory No 3. Which could perfectly be, what Mofftis had in mind, when they conceived this, and when the avalange of theories flooded the net, they had to add a few ironical twists in order to keep everybody happy and guessing on forever. But, frankly, I expected, and still expect more from those brilliant writers. And, somehow I cannot believe, that they gave everything away in the first episode of the third season. At the moment I think, that ALL theories, which were presented so far, contain a kernel of the right solution, since each theory seem to explain something, but not everything. But then again, it's only evolving fiction. Maybe, they choose to cop out, because it just became to big to handle. In which case, we simply have to enjoy season 3 on it's own merit and forget the promises 'Reichenbach Fall' seemed to make. But I'm still hoping for a more satisfying explanation.

I completely agree with all of the above. Yay.

January 2, 2014 7:33 pm  #90

sherlocked wrote:

I agree, if the third theory is true I think Anderson's reaction is how the writers thought fans would react, they planned how he was going to survive before starting the second series and they didnt expect such a reaction from the Reichenbach fall, therefore Anderson's reaction could show how the writers thought everyone would react, if they hadn't left the clues in the Reichenbach fall, they couldn't change how he had faked it. Again, the writers had said that everyone had missed something, yet in the explaination the clues people had picked up on were in it and nothing anyone missed was in the explanation which could mean that isnt the right theory.

Sherlock says "you know my methods" he left the fact he was still alive for two years, maybe hes going to leave it a while before he tells the truth.

Either way Moffat and Gatiss know how it has really happened and hopefully we will be more conifedent in that too. they are clever writers and there is no doubt that they wont leave us disappointed at the end... all in all i think fans will enjoy the rest of th eseries regardless of wether they know how sherlock faked it or not ( but liek everyone else I hope the answer becomes more clear this series!) (and i really want moriary back eventhough that probably wont happen!)

January 2, 2014 7:37 pm  #91

No more Moriarty.

January 2, 2014 7:40 pm  #92

Read this online, prehaps we may be lucky or they are just playing with us...

Holmes explains his escape from the Reichenbach Falls to Watson in The Empty House, but refuses to do so in the TV version. In a recent interview, Steven Moffat and writer Mark Gatiss hinted that even the explanation Sherlock tells Anderson at the end is probably fictional. Gatiss remarked enigmatically, ‘It’s a very plausible solution.’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/02/sherlock-series-3-episode-1-the-empty-hearse-vs-the-empty-house-11-references-you-may-have-missed-4246955/ (source)

i'm stilling willing to accept that the third theory is correct if we don't hear otherwise, its still clever even if it doesnt quite fit with how i would imagine Sherlock to do it ;)

January 2, 2014 8:14 pm  #93

What Sherlock did tell Anderson might be the truth but while watching it I got the impression this scene was not real... That it was Anderson who thought he's talking to Sherlock, he only imagined this. I started thinking like that after Sherlock suddenly disappeared as if he wasn't in that room in reality, and Anderson started laughing... xd

The Road goes ever on and on...

January 2, 2014 8:21 pm  #94

swanpride, I always dismissed huge pillows, firefighter devices, etc, because I thought of the snipers and their view. And I actually saw in 'Reichenbach Fall', that something with the shown angles of the view, the sniper had out of the building, didn't add up. I even thought, there were two snipers because of that. I just didn't think, that one of them might be 'on the side of the angels', lol! So, this part of theory 3 adds up nicely with 'Reichenbach Falls'. But I find the large blue air bag and the conveniently available lookalike body (though there was a hint of an existing lookalike in 'RF') still hard to swallow.I don't think, this solution is elegant at all, but that is just my opinion. Maybe, Anderson's reaction (disappointment) is supposed to mirror our reaction. Not a bad idea at all! Maybe, they don't want to prove fans right or wrong and leave it open. But there are indeed quotes out there, which give me hope for more explanations to come forward in future episodes.

January 2, 2014 8:30 pm  #95

As I said earlier.... The right answer will have no flaws!

January 2, 2014 8:35 pm  #96

Well, I see it like this:

Most people who had a different idea will think he's lying; most people who thought something similar will think he's telling the truth.  Personally, I think it matches too well with everything we've seen to be a fiction, so I will go for truth.  However, I also just want to be rid of the conspiracy theories and move on at this point.  It was fun for 2 years, but now it's time for the next crimes.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

January 2, 2014 8:57 pm  #97

sj4iy wrote:

Well, I see it like this:

Most people who had a different idea will think he's lying; most people who thought something similar will think he's telling the truth. Personally, I think it matches too well with everything we've seen to be a fiction, so I will go for truth. However, I also just want to be rid of the conspiracy theories and move on at this point. It was fun for 2 years, but now it's time for the next crimes.

I see what you mean, but I just don't understand how we can move on with so many unanswered questions and loose ends. It will always be at the back of my mind and I still maintain it would be pretty poor writing if they just copped out of giving us a proper decent answer, even if it is the same theory, just confirmed in a less ambiguous fashion.

January 2, 2014 9:34 pm  #98

I don't see why they would spend about 10 minutes explaining a theory, if it wasn't the correct one? I don't think they will come back to it. I think the explanation is the truth, but he is not telling it to Anderson, but he could be tellling it to John on the train, but it jsut flashes to Anderson thinking the same thing. i know that idea is a bit too far, but i'm just waiting to enjoy the rest of the series (even if this will still be playing in the back of my mind, but I suppose thats what Moffat and Gatiss wanted) , and hope that they might bring the topic up again, if not then I'll assume it was the truth, and if they do bring it up again hopefully it will be explained in a clearer scenario or with a different explaination

Last edited by KKKKK (January 2, 2014 9:34 pm)

January 2, 2014 9:48 pm  #99

KKKKK wrote:

I don't see why they would spend about 10 minutes explaining a theory, if it wasn't the correct one? I don't think they will come back to it. I think the explanation is the truth, but he is not telling it to Anderson, but he could be tellling it to John on the train, but it jsut flashes to Anderson thinking the same thing. i know that idea is a bit too far, but i'm just waiting to enjoy the rest of the series (even if this will still be playing in the back of my mind, but I suppose thats what Moffat and Gatiss wanted) , and hope that they might bring the topic up again, if not then I'll assume it was the truth, and if they do bring it up again hopefully it will be explained in a clearer scenario or with a different explaination

Exactly, same here. What a waste of time if this is all wrong , the other two theories are much shorter. And for me it has no flaws and I got all the information I needed. Ta. And, again, I think the idea, that Anderson of all people nailed it in the end - after two years being busy with Sherlock´s resurrection (and being right with this idea as well) - has a very clever twist. It works inside the story, but also he is a mirror for the fandom outside of Sherlock and experiences all stages and forms of theories through the years. And it´s so funny that he thinks in the end the theory has flaws - look what happens here! Genius in my eyes and more than elegant.

January 2, 2014 10:03 pm  #100

The first one had James Bond quality

Board footera