BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2014 1:11 pm  #41

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

anjaH_alias wrote:

I also don´t think that Sherlock was really at Anderson´s flat. But I think Anderson, in his obsession, nailed it finally (like he nailed that Sherlock´s still alive, like several of the fandom more or less nailed it in their theories after some time). And this was the (funny, elegant, extraordinary) way to tell us how Sherlock survived the fall. Through the eyes of his former favourite victim, who´s confused and full of shame. Better than doing it how everybody expects it to be, e.g. through a long and maybe sentimental explanation to John.

I think I like that idea - the scene is not real but the explanation is.  And this would also explain the name thing. He imagines how the former freak/now hero shows his appreciation by calling him Phillip. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 2, 2014 1:11 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2014 1:15 pm  #42

I'm still confused whether what Sherlock told Anderson is true, so I'm glad I'm not the only one! for some reason I want to believe it at this moment in time, because it will really annoy me if I haven't been told the answer. i think if what sherlock told Anderson was fake or at least partly true, then the actual answer will be revealed at the end of the series or they just won't tell us at all (but im hoping they wont be that cruel) the only thing I'm holding on to is that they didn't really mention much about what happened to Moriarty afterwards, if sherlock had to finish of his network over two years, it seems to me that (and i hope) moriarty may still be alive. afterall sherlock needs moriarty or he is nothing.

"What Life? I've been away"

'"Shut up John! I don't want everyone knowing I'm still alive"

January 2, 2014 1:16 pm  #43

Isn't that a little far-fetched? There isn't really anything that would point to Sherlock not really being there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

January 2, 2014 1:18 pm  #44

I think this scene is about vorgiveness on several levels. Sherlock is a wise man.

January 2, 2014 1:21 pm  #45

The scene was just too weird.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2014 1:21 pm  #46

Why would he call him by his first name when he can't even remember Lestrade's first name half the time? Why would he go to Anderson?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 2, 2014 1:23 pm  #47

SusiGo wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

I also don´t think that Sherlock was really at Anderson´s flat. But I think Anderson, in his obsession, nailed it finally (like he nailed that Sherlock´s still alive, like several of the fandom more or less nailed it in their theories after some time). And this was the (funny, elegant, extraordinary) way to tell us how Sherlock survived the fall. Through the eyes of his former favourite victim, who´s confused and full of shame. Better than doing it how everybody expects it to be, e.g. through a long and maybe sentimental explanation to John.

I think I like that idea - the scene is not real but the explanation is.  And this would also explain the name thing. He imagines how the former freak/now hero shows his appreciation by calling him Phillip. 

That´s exactly what I think. And yes, he calls him "Philip" in his vision because Anderson wants to get appreciated by Sherlock. And he wants to be forgiven, so he imagines Sherlock coming to him of all people. And even realizes the unlikeability later himself. What does not mean that he is wrong in his theory.
I like that idea and I can connect it perfectly with the word "elegant".  I honestly doubt that we get a fourth explanation in future. But this we will probably see on Sunday night.

January 2, 2014 1:25 pm  #48

Exactly my questions, Boss. I think that the explanation itself makes sense. We are shown the process from John's and Sherlock's perspective and IMO there are no real discrepancies. But the scene is really weird and might well be Anderson's imagination. 
Nevertheless I am not really comfortable with how it is inserted into the train scene. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2014 1:29 pm  #49

But there is a discrepency. As I've said, if Mycroft could get rid of one of the snipers, why couldn't he get rid of all of them? Also, they could've done without the corpse, yet Sherlock suggested that Molly's part in the plan made it all possible.

January 2, 2014 1:32 pm  #50

The needed the corpse to bridge the period of time between Sherlock landing on the airbag, the air-bag being put away and Sherlock being placed and made up. In TRF we/John see "Sherlock" lying on the pavement before John is run down by the bike. 

January 2, 2014 1:33 pm  #51

Holmes explains his escape from the Reichenbach Falls to Watson in The Empty House, but refuses to do so in the TV version. In a recent interview, Steven Moffat and writer Mark Gatiss hinted that even the explanation Sherlock tells Anderson at the end is probably fictional. Gatiss remarked enigmatically, ‘It’s a very plausible solution.’

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/02/sherlock-series-3-episode-1-the-empty-hearse-vs-the-empty-house-11-references-you-may-have-missed-4246955/ (source)

January 2, 2014 1:40 pm  #52

SusiGo wrote:

The needed the corpse to bridge the period of time between Sherlock landing on the airbag, the air-bag being put away and Sherlock being placed and made up. In TRF we/John see "Sherlock" lying on the pavement before John is run down by the bike. 

Hmmm... I suppose. I thought that if most of the makeup was done while he was lying down, why not all of it?

Plus, what about Mycroft? Again, if it was so simple to get rid of the snipers, it would have avoided the whole mess.

January 2, 2014 1:45 pm  #53

mujie wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Hmmm... I suppose. I thought that if most of the makeup was done while he was lying down, why not all of it?

Plus, what about Mycroft? Again, if it was so simple to get rid of the snipers, it would have avoided the whole mess.

''Hmmm... I suppose. I thought that if most of the makeup was done while he was lying down, why not all of it?'' - mujie

when i looked back at the actual Reichnbach fall in series 2 the doctor who supposidly puts the fake blood on sherlock when he is lying down, seems only to run over to sherlock and check his pulse in his neck, he doesnt appear to be doing anything else, so i think i agree with you on that one

January 2, 2014 1:47 pm  #54

You do realise...this is exactly what they wanted, right? For us lot to be sat around debating whether or not we'd been shown the real thing, whether they'd show another version at some point in the future or whether that would be it. Quite clever of them to do that, regardless of what you think about the theory.

January 2, 2014 2:01 pm  #55

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Having thought about this more overnight, I'm convinced that the entire scene with Anderson was lies.

The most obvious clue in all this, is the fact that Sherlock CALLS ANDERSON BY HIS FIRST NAME.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE DO THAT? He can't even remember Lestrade's first name, someone he's worked with for many years and whom he has a certain amount of respect for. He's always, always, called him Anderson. Why would that suddenly change now? I think it's more like Anderson's personal fantasy that Sherlock would call him by his first name because now he's Sherlock's number one fanboy.

Then there was the fact that Sherlock basically just disappeared and it was a bit of a weird jump cut that looked like funny editing - or on purpose editing.

Then there was the fact that the entire scene was just stuck rather awkwardly in between the middle of the dramatic train scene.

The whole thing made NO SENSE.

Why would Sherlock go to Anderson? Why would he sit and be recorded for an interview for his ridiculous, idiotic fan club group by a man he spent his entire time with Scotland Yard deriding and making fun of? WHY? Why would he tell Anderson and not John?

This is Anderson's fantasy.

Anderson would love to be able to turn around and tell Sherlock Holmes that how he did it wasn't particularly clever or exciting.

You totally convinced me with this. I was already wondering WHY would he go to Anderson of all people to tell him? It just doesn't make any sense.

A bit disappointing.

The Game is On!

January 2, 2014 2:04 pm  #56

Anyone else considering that the very title 'The Empty Hearse' could be a clue?

Anderson's theory involves a lookalike being in the coffin!

January 2, 2014 2:05 pm  #57

mujie wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

It´s not about the makeup - Short before the bicycle "accident" John gets the chance to lure the lying corpse. And this can´t be real Sherlock for obvious reasons. So for a short moment they needed a body. If not the pavement had been empty .
The makeup was planted during John´s knockout, not before.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 2:07 pm)

January 2, 2014 2:07 pm  #58

anjaH_alias wrote:

mujie wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

It´s not about the makeup - Short before the bicycle "accident" John gets a glance of the lying corpse. And this can´t be real Sherlock for obvious reasons. So for a short moment they needed a body.

but if John could see the 'body' he would also be able to see the air-bag. which for obvious readons Sherlock would have not got off of.

Last edited by shylock (January 2, 2014 2:07 pm)

January 2, 2014 2:08 pm  #59

shylock wrote:

Anyone else considering that the very title 'The Empty Hearse' could be a clue?

Anderson's theory involves a lookalike being in the coffin!

this is another thing I keep wondering about: why the title? Anderson's fanclub is called The Empty Hearse, but this alone can't be the reason why they called the whole episode like this (and I also know that there is a reference to "The Empty House" canon story, but again: this alone can't be the reason for a title) and of course there is sub-text that Sherlock's hearse was actually empty. But compared to the other episodes I can't see (yet) a lot in the episode related to the title.

The Game is On!

January 2, 2014 2:09 pm  #60

shylock wrote:

anjaH_alias wrote:

mujie wrote:

It´s not about the makeup - Short before the bicycle "accident" John gets a glance of the lying corpse. And this can´t be real Sherlock for obvious reasons. So for a short moment they needed a body.

but if John could see the 'body' he would also be able to see the air-bag. which for obvious readons Sherlock would have not got off of.

No, the little building is quite long. We get John´s perspective clearly to be seen from the camera  POV - he could see the body, but not the airbag.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (January 2, 2014 2:09 pm)

Board footera