BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2012 5:46 pm  #1

A Holmes Fan's Mistrust of Elementary: An Open Apology to CBS

http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2012/05/sherlock-holmes-fans-mistrust-elementary-an-open-apology-to-cbs-lyndsay-faye

"...plots out rather nicely just what Holmes fans don’t (whether they know it or not yet) like about CBS’s Elementary along with an open apology that’s anything but! This article is a case study in how one engages the insipid though heavily promoted philistine world’s attempt at - let’s be frank now - cashing in on that “whole Sherlock Holmes thing .

Baker St Babes

My gratitude to The Baker St. Babes for saying it better than I could.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 24, 2012 5:56 pm  #2

Re: A Holmes Fan's Mistrust of Elementary: An Open Apology to CBS

Wow! Cuts to the literary heart of the matter with no anaesthetic doesn't she.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 24, 2012 6:14 pm  #3

*Regarding “elementary : you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Zing!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 25, 2012 12:27 am  #4

I know! I love the reflections back to Princess Bride in these shows.

Last edited by Wholocked (May 25, 2012 12:28 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

June 11, 2012 11:10 pm  #5

Oh, oh, oh!!!  (Sorry, Kazza!)  Just read Lyndsey Faye's article.  The name was familiar...then I saw her bio line at the bottom: She wrote The Gods of Gotham.  I just finished reading that about a month ago.  It was amazing...fantastic...brilliant.  For those who aren't familiar with it, it's about the beginnings of the New York City police force in the mid-1800s.  But it's also a mystery and so replete with period details that a reader really feels s/he is there.  I didn't know she had a blog but I am now going to read her other posts about Sherlock.  So nice to know she's a fan!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 12, 2012 6:12 am  #6

She also wrote "Dust and Shadow", a fine Holmes/Watson pastiche about the hunt for Jack the Ripper which I liked very much. Excellent article.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera