BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2014 10:29 pm  #1

The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

I thought that was left slightly ambiguous although the theory he told Anderson was the most normal and most likely of all the outlandish, hilarious theories throughout the episode...there was that moment where Anderson doubted that Sherlock had told him the whole truth, thereby making the audience doubt it too.

What do you think? Do we still not know the real, true theory??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2014 10:32 pm  #2

Re: The theory he told Anderson - The actual answer??

Or is Anderson nuts?

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

January 1, 2014 10:37 pm  #3

I think that that was how Sherlock actually did it.  I think Anderson is like the fans that won't want to accept that it really was that simple after two years of outlandish theories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2014 10:39 pm  #4

*can't stop giggling over the SherlockxMoriarty theory* XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 1, 2014 10:48 pm  #5

OK. I honestly don't mind if that's how Sherlock really did it, because it was pretty close to my own theory (apart from I was never a fan of the rubber ball, haha).

I just always imagined that the true reveal would come from Sherlock telling John how he did it. And there was that moment, when John asked him as they were about to go out and face the press. There was like...five minutes left to spare, and I honestly thought Sherlock was about to tell him then.

January 1, 2014 10:50 pm  #6

Couldn't be the truth because it shows one of the 'accomplices' (the girl on the corner) who was the 'fan' who came up with the Shirlock/Moriati love trist theory.

January 1, 2014 10:51 pm  #7

shylock wrote:

Couldn't be the truth because it shows one of the 'accomplices' (the girl on the corner) who was the 'fan' who came up with the Shirlock/Moriati love trist theory.

Seriously? Do you have a screen cap?

January 1, 2014 10:53 pm  #8

Nope! just recognised her. pretty distinctive really....big eyes!

Don't have sreen cap apability, perhaps someone might just watch it through again (as if!) and check.

Last edited by shylock (January 1, 2014 10:55 pm)

January 1, 2014 10:55 pm  #9

Sherlock to Moriarty: "Shhhh!" XD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

January 1, 2014 10:56 pm  #10

Other people on Twitter are thinking the same thing...

January 1, 2014 10:57 pm  #11

don't have twitter either!  Too old!

January 1, 2014 11:04 pm  #12

Radio Times - We still don't know how he did it
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-01/sherlock-is-back--and-we-still-dont-know-how-he-survived-the-fall

Most interesting points relating to the Anderson theory are about halfway down and I've copied and pasted them here:

Viewers were made to wait until the very end of The Empty Hearse for the third solution, courtesy of Sherlock himself. From the inflatable crashmat hidden by a low building, to the cyclist who deliberately knocked John to the ground, buying time for Molly and members of Sherlock's "homeless network" to bloody up his “dead” body, this was indeed the version many fans had been expecting. The squash ball under the arm to mask Sherlock's pulse – a technique used on stage by Gatiss's friend Derren Brown – drew cheers at the preview screening.

But as Sherlock's explanation drew to an end, everything we'd just been told was called into question. Journalist and Empty Hearse founder Anderson pronounced Sherlock's version "a bit disappointing" – clearly a reaction Gatiss and Moffat were half-expecting/guarding against when they wrote the episode – before starting to pick holes in it. As an increasingly hysterical Anderson began to rip his plans from the wall an amused Sherlock didn't try to convince him otherwise. And when John later asked him for the explanation he remained enigmatic, teasing "You know my methods".

So was that last solution the correct one?

"That’s presuming, of course, that Sherlock Holmes would bother to tell Anderson the truth,” said Moffat. “We might still not know."

"[But] it’s a very plausible version of how he did it,” Gatiss was quick to add.

So what is going on? Are Gatiss and Moffat hedging their bets: if we like Sherlock’s solution, great, if we make fun of it or poke holes, well who says it was the right one anyway?

Or maybe the ambiguity is just part and parcel of the ultimately unknowable enigma that is Sherlock?

“I certainly am wondering at the end ‘Gosh, I wonder if I even know’,” said Benedict Cumberbatch.

And if Sherlock Holmes himself can’t work it out, what hope is there for the rest of us?

--------

*shakes fist* MOFFAAAAAAT!

January 1, 2014 11:09 pm  #13

Yes, that scene with Anderson, at that very particular moment, confused me a bit. I'd like to think this was still not the "real" version of the trickery but only one based on most of the fandom theories (the rubber ball and all) and that we'll get the real one later. But then again, it could be just that one, a "simple" and yet quite logical one.

Just like old times...

January 1, 2014 11:12 pm  #14

Nope I think that was Anderson's theory and he's gone potty. I think Moftiss realised that any solution was going to disappoint so they just left it open. Which in itself is disappointing I guess, but clever!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 1, 2014 11:15 pm  #15

be interesting to take a screen cap of the fans 'meeting room' and see how many of them formed the band of accomplices in Anderson's 'video' theory.

January 1, 2014 11:16 pm  #16

Wholocked wrote:

Nope I think that was Anderson's theory and he's gone potty. I think Moftiss realised that any solution was going to disappoint so they just left it open. Which in itself is disappointing I guess, but clever!

I think the same, not really explaining it was brilliant and disappointing at the same time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 1, 2014 11:20 pm  #17

But but but...they can't leave it like that. They have to actually tell us at some point. It would be a really big cop out and a cheat if they didn't.

January 1, 2014 11:22 pm  #18

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

But but but...they can't leave it like that. They have to actually tell us at some point. It would be a really big cop out and a cheat if they didn't.

True, but I don't think they ever will .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 1, 2014 11:24 pm  #19

The air bag would have been too slow to position and dispose of.
Quicker would have been an open backed lorry , full of citrus fruit to cushion the landing..........Lemonentry

January 1, 2014 11:32 pm  #20

They said we'd have an "elegant" solution. They said if Sherlock Holmes was to fake his death it would have to be the best fake death going. They said although people had come close, no one had guessed how he did it yet.

Well, the explanation that Sherlock gave Anderson is one of the most popular and most obvious theories amongst fans. So, why would it be that?

Board footera