BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2013 8:25 pm  #1

What did you do during the Hiatus?

It's been two years. A lot must have happened in your life. Last night I typed up a list of all of mine (all Sherlock related).

1. Started this forum!
2. Read all of the canon stories
3. Watched all of the Jeremy Brett series
4. Watched all of the Basil Rathbone series
5. Began collecting any and all Sherlock Holmes related books and DVDs
6. Watched all of the aforementioned DVDs (haven’t got round to reading the books yet)
7. Started running Sherlock walking tours – sherlockiantours.com
8. Started playing the violin
9. Started the Sherlockian Violin Society – sherlockianviolinsociety.com
10. Started a couple of other SH related websites
11. Watched a lot of films/TV shows that the Sherlock actors were involved in
12. Got into new fandoms because of recommendations from people in the Sherlock fandom
13. Got into Motown music because of Martin Freeman
14. Got into WikiLeaks  because of Benedict’s performance in the Fifth Estate
15. Started a WikiLeaks related website due to the above
16. Spent a lot of money on cosplays
17. Attended a large amount of fan meetings, conventions etc
18. Joined the Sherlock Holmes Society of London
19. Wrote my first Sherlock fan fics
20. Started doing Sherlock roleplaying which improved my writing and led me to further pursue getting paid work, which I am now doing successfully
21. Attended various Sherlock Holmes theatre plays that were being put on all over the country
22. Started volunteering at the Conan Doyle Collection in Portsmouth
23. Made a whole bunch of new friends through the fandom who I am now friends with in real life as well as just on the internet
24. Am generally a happier, more satisfied person thanks to Sherlock

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

December 31, 2013 11:55 pm  #2

Re: What did you do during the Hiatus?

That sounds overwhelming. I bred a new orchid.

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

January 1, 2014 12:06 am  #3

Wow! That's quite a list! I've pinched a couple of yours in my list ;)

1. Joined this forum!
2. Read all of the canon stories
3. Started watching the Jeremy Brett series
4. Watched a lot of films/TV shows that the Sherlock actors were involved in which more often than not I would not have otherwise watched (particularly Benedict's backlog)
5. Wrote my first Sherlock fan fics
6. Met a bunch of new people through the fandom that I now consider friends even if I haven't met them IRL
7. Discovered new areas of mutual interest with existing friends
8. Started beta-reading other's fics
9. Learned more about the English language through writing and betaing fics

How did you go with learning violin, Boss? I'll admit I've been considering it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 1, 2014 9:16 am  #4

1. Joined this forum
2. Wrote two fanfics in English 
3. Put a Sherlock sticker on my car
4. Created a Sherlock shelf in my study
5. Read lots of fanfic and pastiches
6. Met some very nice people from this forum
7. Want to a Sherlock meet-up in London

It is still early on New Year' Day so I suppose there will be more when I think about it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2014 9:27 am  #5

1. Read the canon
2. Joined the forum
3. Started to read fanfic
4. Started to write fanfic
5. Met other forum members
6.Started to read Johnlock fanfic
7. Wrote Johnlock fanfic
8. Showed Sherlock in as many classes at school as possible
9. Thereby infected at least two collegues as well as several pupils
10. Got an account at tumblr and twitter just to follow setlock
11. WAITED

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 1, 2014 9:35 am  #6

Nobody watched Sherlock??

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 1, 2014 9:36 am  #7

Watching Sherlock is like breathing. Of course you do it, all the time, you just don't write it down because it's understood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 1, 2014 9:42 am  #8

Ah, right. Of course. Stupid! There's always something.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 1, 2014 11:05 am  #9

8. Beta-ed some fanfics. 
9. Got a blue scarf.
10. Got three Sherlock T-shirts. 
11. Yes, I also watched Sherlock now and then. 
12. Watched lots of other Benedict films. 
13. Started a tumblr blog.
14. Pursued my family with constant Sherlock references. 
15. Deduced people together with my son. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2014 8:11 pm  #10

Wholocked wrote:

How did you go with learning violin, Boss? I'll admit I've been considering it!

I would describe it as difficult but rewarding. It's lots of fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2014 10:57 am  #11

Watched all the original Sherlock episodes with Jeremy Brett. Still the best Holmes.....

January 3, 2014 6:15 pm  #12

Started reading the canon, watched the entire BBC series over and over, still trying to figure out what IOU means among other little mysteries in TRF...

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

January 3, 2014 7:05 pm  #13

Well, the hiatus's been way shorter for me as I discovered Sherlock (BBC I mean) only last April. Anyway, I (apart from watching the episodes on a regular basis)

1. Wrote fanfics, mostly Johnlock but not only. Been working lately on a Mycroft centric one. I read fanfics as well. Been a fanfiction writer for about 6 years though, so it's not new to me. Just the fandom.

2. Joined this forum

3. Started to read canon (yeah, had only read a comic strip version of Baskerville as a kid, shame! lol) but not as quickly as I'd like to. So far I've only read Study in scarlet, Sign of four and I'm half way through The adventures.

4. Had discovered Martin in Ali G more than ten years ago and had then seen him in other movies, but I got to see more of his stuff. On the other hand, I had never heard of Benedict before so yeah, bought a couple of DVDs and got into his stuff too.

5. Finally learnt how to make fan videos and did a few of Sherlock and one of Third Star which I posted on Youtube.

6. Went to the Conan Doyle pub and to see Sherlock statue while on a trip in Edinburgh

7. Bought a couple of Sherlock related items: handmade dolls, a christmas tree figure, a T-shirt, a vintage metallic sign... and pre-ordered Action figures of Sherlock and John (with autographs of Martin and Ben), a mug, and the limited complete dvd box from BBC shop.

8. I've had a piano for years (though I'm far from being a virtuoso, ha ha!) and always wanted to learn the violin. Sherlock convinced me to buy one this summer, though I still haven't found time to learn how to play (I'm still trying to figure out how to tune it... AHEM...........)

9. I kept trying to find out how Sherlock had faked his death

10. I realised that I now look at people differently. I unconsciously make deductions about them, or in my every day life. I.E during the holidays, I played a game called Dixit (it's a French cards game so I don't know it exists in other countries), well, I'm not going to explain the rules but you have to vote for a card without knowing which player it belongs to and just by looking at the face expressions and at the behaviour of the other players, I could almost always tell which card was theirs and it annoyed them a great deal, lol. Of course, I don't hold a candle to Sherlock and Mycroft, but I'm glad I have developped that capacity a little.

Well, all in all, I guess I'm far too obsessed with Sherlock as whenever my 4 year old son (well, he turned 4 last week hehe) sees Sherlock or John, he points at them and says "Hey, c'est Sherlock 'On' / John 'Nasson'" (well, mind you, their names are not easy to pronounce for a little French boy who already has pronunciation issues in his own language, lol), he even recognized Sherlock on the very small icon for this forum (that little icon with no eyes/nose/mouth wich must be no more than half a centimeter in my IE favourites ) and I was very surprised the other day when he told me "Et Sherlock 'On', c'est 'Beneditt Cumberbatt' ", he must have heard me say his name a couple of times but I had no idea he remembered it. That was cute and yet a bit scary. Am I that obsessed???

Just like old times...

January 16, 2014 1:28 am  #14

Was Hiatus caused by extensive work on Hobbit by Martin & Benedict or because Writers needed a 2 year holiday?

January 16, 2014 3:25 am  #15

Finished Collecting all of the Jeremy Brett series 
Collected all of the Basil Rathbone Series
Watched Elementary (It's not a bad show IMHO)
bought Sherlock the casebook
Watched the Robert Downey Jr. Films 
Watched Star Trek Into Darkness
Re-watched (ad-nauseum) the first six SHERLOCK Episodes as well as the Pilot version of a Study in Pink as well as all associated special features
Watched the Sherlock facebook page daily for news about series three
Shared any videos of clips and/or trailers pertaining to Series 3
Created this banner for my facebook cover

and this for my profile picture

Suggested Benedict take over the reigns as another British Hero using this as the basis:

Read several of the original Canon
Bought the Complete Sherlock Holmes Encyclopedia by Jack Tracy
watched Series 3 of Sherlock on Youtube as soon as it was available before the first Episode even airs on PBS
Downloaded the ringtone edit of staying alive , put it into my parents itunes libraries uploaded it into their phones replaced my ringtone name and picture with Moriarty's
rang them up Christmas Morning (Amused the hell out of them and made my older sister facepalm)
I'm sure I did more but those were the clearest in my mind as of this writing

Last edited by Golddragon71 (January 16, 2014 3:44 am)

"I am Lost without my Blogger!"

January 16, 2014 8:15 am  #16

I played violin as a child, but I never owned one myself. It was borrowed. I can't play a single note on it anymore ;).

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

January 16, 2014 11:34 pm  #17

1. I remembered that I've always liked Sherlock Holmes. (When I was a child, we would put clues somewhere, then pretend we had forgotten about them, and then would "discover" them and spend the day rescuing each other from danger^^ But I only remember being Holmes or a victim/client, we never played John ;) I think we just generally played "detective Holmes", without caring much about the books. Magnifying glasses and the hat of course.)
2. I watched one episode a day for two or three months (I did a survey with a question "more than five"? and laughed, I think it's rather more than fifty times I've seen each...)
3. I fell in love with London all over again and visited some places featured in the series.
4. Prior to Into Darkness, I watched everything Star Trek for the first time in my life and really enjoyed it
5. I fell in love with this fandom which is grown up, funny and adorable, with great people who honestly care about quality and are generally quite clever and creative... oh, and I still don't understand how tumblr works, but I adore it ;)
7. I got to know about 1000 different ways to survive a fall from a tall building. Useful.

"It is what it is."

January 20, 2014 3:31 pm  #18

I got ill and watched some old Poirots.

"the lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside.”

January 20, 2014 4:34 pm  #19

You guys will hate me. I've been on hiatus for like a month.

Yeah, that's really it.

So I:

Went mad.
Read fanfiction (including Alone on the Water)
Watched Many Happy Returns
Found spoilers (by accident)
Bugged my family
And my friends
Wrote fanfiction
Looked at fanart
And fan videos
Read some books
Had Christmas
Did some other stuff not related to Sherlock
School
Life