BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2013 12:14 pm  #21

Re: Martin in hot water (again)

Agreed. But I would never ever make an elf joke, Harriet. What a strange idea. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2013 12:45 pm  #22

Is it perhaps because you don't like elves? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 29, 2013 1:09 pm  #23

I was just about to say the very same thing Susi... elf jokes...? Neverever would I dare...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 29, 2013 3:07 pm  #24

I love his dry wit ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 29, 2013 3:39 pm  #25

SusiGo wrote:

Agreed. But I would never ever make an elf joke, Harriet. What a strange idea. 

So, you deliberately dispriviledge elves by not including them in your jokes? How racist of you!

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 29, 2013 4:29 pm  #26

Exactly what I'm saying, kete! Susi has to change her attitude! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 29, 2013 4:43 pm  #27

And pronto - or she will have tumblrs dedicated to her elf hate. *nods*

December 29, 2013 5:00 pm  #28

And people having changed their sigs dedicated to the same issue. Right! 

December 29, 2013 5:40 pm  #29

Fine, you asked for it (and to disprove that I am an elf-hater, elfo-phobe or whatever you call that): 

http://www.jokes4us.com/holidayjokes/christmasjokes/elfegojokes.html

Why did the elf push his bed into the fireplace?
Because he wanted to sleep like a log.

Why did Santa's helper see the doctor?
Because he had a low "elf" esteem!

Who is Santa's favorite singer?
Elf-is Presley!

What do Santa's little helpers learn at school?
The elf-abet!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2013 6:05 pm  #30

LOL, you are absolved, Susi! 

December 29, 2013 6:11 pm  #31

Susi, I have relatives and close friends who are elves.  I am deeply offended on their behalf that you would mock them in such a heartless manner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 29, 2013 6:11 pm  #32

I just discovered this thread... and I'm shocked about this man.  Can't believe that I watched the first Hobbit film in English on Blu-ray this afternoon and was excited about this man again. And now... everything falls apart because he's a racist... Oh... come on...what people want to believe...

Last edited by gently69 (December 29, 2013 6:12 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 29, 2013 7:01 pm  #33

December 30, 2013 1:19 am  #34

Some people can't be happy unless they are offended at something.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 30, 2013 8:26 am  #35

Guess it's a bit late for me to try to explain myself (3 pages later) but thought I'd give it a go. I get that he's joking, I'm not pissed at the joke itself, I'm pissed at the context in which the joke was made. When Martin is asked about Martin/career/real world, he can give some very decent answers, but when he's asked about his latest job, he has a "I know you care more about my work than I do so I'll take the Mickey out of you" attitude toward the interviewer and their questions. They are a fun laugh until you consider the more than a hundred other people who have put just as much effort as Martin into the project but whose voices will never be heard coz they're just not as famous as him.

This is the reason why comedians can get away with the same or worse but Martin can't. Comedians usually run one-man-band type shows but actors are always part of an ensemble. I know he does it to stay sane and that it's healthy not to take your work too seriously but I sometimes wish that he could tone it down just a bit.

December 30, 2013 1:58 pm  #36

Personally, I hope he never tones it down too much.  It's part of who he is and part of why I adore him.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 30, 2013 6:13 pm  #37

kittykat wrote:

I love his dry wit ^^

Same here, and for those who don't get it, well, maybe just don't read his interviews if they upset you all the time.
I really don't think he is an idiot. He is protecting himself partly by making those jokes. I remember Amanda saying many times that Martin is freakishly private. I think it's his way of dealing with the media and their sometimes really annoying and nosy questions.
He was quite lovely with the people who met him on the Sherlock set and I admire that he does everything he can to stay grounded and have a normal life despite "Sherlock" and "The Hobbit" having turned him into sort of a mega-star.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Board footera