BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2013 2:17 am  #21

Re: Romance/Relationships/Emotions, Sherlock, Cont. from homophobia thread

kete wrote:

One of the biggest attractions of this show for me is its ambiguity. So, while I love to read all the speculation, I never want to know for sure. Moreover, for to actually decide yes, Sherlock was in love/no, wasn't in love, we would first have to establish what "in love" means at all. Surely it's a different thing for everyone? I see it as individual as fingerprints.

Totally agree! That is the best show you can have where everything can be interpreted differently. 

December 29, 2013 9:01 am  #22

It's also an advantage of having so few episodes, I think. I can understand viewers who finally want a decisive answer to the "will they/won't they" question when shows run with 20+ eps for many seasons. In this case the constant back and forth can get boring and one starts shouting, "Make up your mind, you lot!" at the TV. But with Sherlock it's different. Here the concept of starving the viewing public and then feeding them a few tiny morsels before starving them again works beautifully and all the unanswered questions don't get old.

Alles eine Frage des Blickwinkels.
It's all a matter of perspective.

December 30, 2013 12:58 pm  #23

Very interesting article on "the male gaze" in Sherlock: http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/71533249942/visual-pleasure-and-narrative-sherlock

which explains a lot about the m/m discussion and why some fans are so obsessed with it.

December 30, 2013 1:44 pm  #24

I've always been fond of nonsense.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 30, 2013 1:58 pm  #25

kete wrote:

Very interesting article on "the male gaze" in Sherlock: http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/71533249942/visual-pleasure-and-narrative-sherlock

which explains a lot about the m/m discussion and why some fans are so obsessed with it.

For me it especially explains (and thereby comfirms what I already always thought) that those fans have a very good reason to be so obsessed with it. It's all there, it's on the screen, you can see it (if you want to ), you don't have to make it up because it's there!
The question for me just is: what do you make of it? You can see it and then decide to just ignore it; you can see it and then decide that you don't really care; or you can see it and decide that yes, there's something there that you rather like.

The show gives you various possibilities, and it has already been said here in this thread: that's the beauty of it. If you want to see it, it works. If you don't want to see it, it also works.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 30, 2013 2:07 pm  #26

That's the beautiful thing about ambiguity: it works for everyone.

Except for those, of course, who feel they have to have it stated "IT IS EXACTLY LIKE THIS." or have to make such statements themselves.

Board footera