BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 11, 2012 6:45 pm  #1

Bridging the Gap Between Traditional Fandom and the Age of Tumblr

I'm certain that this will not appeal to everyone. I thought however it was worth posting a link. For what it is worth I applaud the sentiments expressed,

http://www.bakerstreetbabes.com/2012/06/validation-of-internet-fandom-bridging.html#more

The Validation of the Internet Fandom: Bridging the Gap Between Traditional Fandom and the Age of Tumblr

By Kristina Manente

Scintillation of Scions V

June 9, 2012

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 11, 2012 7:47 pm  #2

Re: Bridging the Gap Between Traditional Fandom and the Age of Tumblr

Very nice article, Jane. Thanks for posting. You should send an invite to the author to let her know about this forum, if she doesn't already...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 11, 2012 9:14 pm  #3

Very interesting, especially the part about the age of []Sherlock[/i] fans.  I have the impression from my short time on this board that the fans here are older.  Now I'm curious!  Is there a way to do a poll?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

June 11, 2012 9:21 pm  #4

Ooh, me me, pick me!
To do a poll you have to click on the poll button when you start a topic, it looks like loads of coloured lines and it's next to the smilies!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 12, 2012 1:08 am  #5

Loved this article. She has it exactly right. Youth and technology will be served. This show has been able to create such a buzz because it is a marvelous entity in it's own right. It is not disrespectful to the canon, it is a unique wonderful modern testament to the brilliance and timelessness of the original premise. It has brought thousands of new fans back to ACD's original stories. My Fair Lady did not cheapen George Bernard Shaw, Les Mis did not cheapen Victor Hugo. Hundreds of written masterpieces were not diminished by Hollywood tweakings. At age 56 I'm loving the tumblr world and listening to Lara Pulver tweet from her bathtub. How can it get any better?

Disguise is always a self portrait

June 12, 2012 2:58 am  #6

Molly Hooper wrote:

Ooh, me me, pick me!
To do a poll you have to click on the poll button when you start a topic, it looks like loads of coloured lines and it's next to the smilies!

Go ahead, Molls, create one. Maybe breakdown by decades (starting w/ teens, then 20s, etc.). MIght oughta say "50+" and leave it at that... 

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 12, 2012 7:18 am  #7

What, Me?!
I can't make one, someone else do it!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 12, 2012 8:56 am  #8

I can make a poll for you if you want, but... what would be the correct space for it?

Very interesting article, by the way

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 12, 2012 3:50 pm  #9

You could put it under 'other'...

June 12, 2012 5:28 pm  #10

Irene, why not PM the Boss and ask? She might have some ideas, maybe a separate membership section?

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2012 4:35 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Irene, why not PM the Boss and ask? She might have some ideas, maybe a separate membership section?

Ok, good idea. I think the most suitable place would be, perhaps, the introductions section. I'm PMing the boss

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

Board footera