BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2012 7:09 am  #1

Similarities between Sherlock and Doctor Who

There are actually quite a few!

Series 1, Episode 10 ("The Doctor Dances"). - The Doctor says "I am on fire" Sherlock style
Series 2, Episode 3 ("School Reunion") - The pool scene between the Doctor and Finch the headteacher, reminds me a lot of the Sherlock/Moriarty scene in The Great Game.

I'm sure there are a lot more but I'm only just starting to go through them all...If you guys know of any, post them here...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 6, 2012 9:07 am  #2

Re: Similarities between Sherlock and Doctor Who

There's a scene in The hungry Earth (series 5 episode 8 or 9, I can't remember exactly now) where a kid quotes Sherlock Holmes. You know, "once you have eliminated the imposible etc.". I loved that, specially the look on the Doctor's face.

Sherlock and the Doctor are very similar since Moffat is the main responsible of the writting in Doctor Who. I can't say now very specific things, but the Doctor says a lot "I'm busy", "shut up, I'm thinking" and things like that. And sometimes he makes very "sherlocky" deductions. I'll try to post some of them, I'm rewatching now series 6 so as I see one similarity I'll try to post it here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 6, 2012 9:21 am  #3

Yeah, and suddenly he realises things and goes "Oh...Ohhhh!"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 6, 2012 1:57 pm  #4

every time House shout : "idiot" to his minions.. so Sherlock.. lol

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

June 8, 2012 11:21 pm  #5

Doctor Who, Series 6, episode 13:

River: Dinner?
The Doctor: I don't have the time

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

June 9, 2012 10:52 pm  #6

Oh, I think The Doctor und Sherlock are a bit alike in some points.
Like how they get excited over something that's complicated, how they're usually the smartest person in the room, The Doctor is also quite observant and sometimes, as mentioned before, does deductions. I think they both like to impress people ;)

The deduction I found rather sherlock-ish was in "The Eleventh Hour" when the Atraxi started cooking the planet and the sun became all weird and all the people in the little village where Amy and Rory live started taking pictures of the sun with their mobile phones, all except one: Rory, who was taking pictures of Prisoner Zero.

And I guess they both kinda struggle that their "talents" don't turn them into bad guys, because they both easily could be that.
They both have their own morals. For example both of them frequently break into places and don't really care about that

But of course there is one huge difference: Sentiment.
The Doctor is so emphatic

June 10, 2012 8:03 am  #7

sherlock and the doctor talk very fast,  and I've noticed the doctor closing his fists together,  just like sherlock does.   Each person is different,  but I think that they both have similar mannerisms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 10, 2012 11:56 am  #8

I think the Eleventh Doctor and Sherlock are quite similar, but before Eleventh they were not. I suppose Moffat has a lot to do with this

Board footera