BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 9, 2013 4:55 am  #1

SPOILER CONTENT: Mind Palace Barts Rooftop Clip

Ok....so after watching the Mind Palace clip from the newly released trailer for Sherlock Season 3, is everyone still confident in their theories?

Here is the clip on youtube

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

December 9, 2013 9:29 am  #2

Re: SPOILER CONTENT: Mind Palace Barts Rooftop Clip

In fact, yes I am. And it is not the helicopter. Although there is a ladder hanging around. Sherlock is checking out the possibilities (the ones that don't work), obviously.
Interesting new perspectives from the roof. It's the first time we get to see a bit more from the window on the left side of the roof (possibly a part of the morgue?) In old times the morgue has been often built in an artrium or inside a building to prevent that people can see through the windows and see something they are not supposed to see. In TRF this part of the roof is intentionally avioded. But for a little glimpse.

December 9, 2013 9:34 am  #3

While I don't think that any of these suggested "solutions" has anything to do with how he survived (else they wouldn't show us) I am bit surprised because it seems that Sherlock starts to check the possibilities just at the moment he stands on the roof. No pre-planning?? Or maybe this scene is hours before he meets Moriarty there?

The Game is On!

December 9, 2013 2:11 pm  #4

In the trailer he says he needs to get to know London again...is it part of that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 9, 2013 4:35 pm  #5

He is definitely on Bart's rooftop.

I can't make out if it is before the meeting or after.  I actually watched RF ending and this youtube video a few times switching back and forth.  When Sherlock walks out of the stairwell and onto the roof in RF-look to the left of the screen and you can see the angular-triangular shaped roof.

Here's my take-

The first scene- looks at the ladder on the other side of the building.  I think that is where he is trying to get to.

Then he looks at all the different types of ways he can get to that ladder.  Notice how the circle with the line appears to take out the use of the crane. How he calculates the angle of the pitched roof so that he can get to the "furnace pipes".  And the ladder that appears from the sky-the first images shows a ladder right there on that side of the building...

All of this-shows me- that he physically is getting himself down without jumping...which brings me back to the question-who or what jumped off of that building...because it might not be Sherlock.

(which blows my theory out of the water:-(

December 9, 2013 7:43 pm  #6

sirlockofthesher wrote:

He is definitely on Bart's rooftop.

I can't make out if it is before the meeting or after.  I actually watched RF ending and this youtube video a few times switching back and forth.  When Sherlock walks out of the stairwell and onto the roof in RF-look to the left of the screen and you can see the angular-triangular shaped roof.

Here's my take-

The first scene- looks at the ladder on the other side of the building.  I think that is where he is trying to get to.

Then he looks at all the different types of ways he can get to that ladder.  Notice how the circle with the line appears to take out the use of the crane. How he calculates the angle of the pitched roof so that he can get to the "furnace pipes".  And the ladder that appears from the sky-the first images shows a ladder right there on that side of the building...

All of this-shows me- that he physically is getting himself down without jumping...which brings me back to the question-who or what jumped off of that building...because it might not be Sherlock.

(which blows my theory out of the water:-(

Remember the dummy hanging in the kitchen at Baker Street---Henry Fishburn, I believe? (John looks up and says "What'd you do, talk him to death?")

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

December 10, 2013 1:02 am  #7

^ I found that to be toooo obvious. Plus, the guy on the roof talking to John raises his arm...that's not a dummy.

December 10, 2013 8:58 am  #8

exctly Swanpride, that was also my thought! 

December 11, 2013 6:12 pm  #9

the first scene where they show the fire stairs leading down to ground level..all lead me to believe that he is trying to get down..

I take the ladder in the sky to indicate that on that side of the building is a ladder.  The firestairwell is one story down...he would need a ladder maybe to get to it.

It looks like he is looking for a way off the roof (other than jumping off of it:-)

Are they showing us exactly how Sherlock got down off the roof..No. They wouldn't show us that BUT they are showing us Sherlock trying to figure out HOW he got down off that roof and it is what the clip doesn't show us.  Nothing about calculating the heigth of the building for his fall or showing some sort of wire contraption or angle of ledge for him to stand in one place while his dummy stands in another..

the clip tells us a lot from what it doesn't show as well as the train of thought of what Sherlock is trying to solve. How to get his person off the top of that building without jumping off the ledge.

Which leads me to thinking? If he found a path other than jumping off that building, what exactly did I see jump off the ledge of that building?  My theory is based on a harness of some sort that slows is descent as he jumps off the building.  So why would Sherlock be looking for alterative routes of exit?

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (December 11, 2013 6:24 pm)

December 11, 2013 6:48 pm  #10

To me, all those mind palace bits seem to be taken into account by Sherlock but finally rejected.

Come on - why should they tell us the solution right now? In the trailer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 12, 2013 2:23 am  #11

I don't think they showed us the way sherlock got down..
 But I do think they showed us that Sherlock was thinking of a way that had him NOT falling off that roof?  Why look for alternate paths?

December 12, 2013 4:49 am  #12

sirlockofthesher wrote:

I don't think they showed us the way sherlock got down..
 But I do think they showed us that Sherlock was thinking of a way that had him NOT falling off that roof?  Why look for alternate paths?

Just process of elimination...Jeanette!
(But we still don't know her.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 13, 2013 1:17 am  #13

^ we shall see! 

December 16, 2013 11:52 am  #14

My take is that he was up there to check how he could get down from that roof top alive before he lured Moriarty there - because that's what he did - and it's simply a part or snippet of the scene where he finally reveals to John what he was doing that night after he'd left him out in the street in front of Kitty's house (I think it was).
By the time he was up there with Moriarty the plan was already in motion. Remember him asking Moriarty for a moment of privacy, I still think that was his moment to check on how preparations were getting on down on the pavement, it simply can't be that he started working out his plan right there at the last moment. He already knew what he was going to do when he brought Molly in.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Board footera