BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2012 4:24 pm  #1

Canon Quiz: Character Development - Ends June 15th

Hello, Sherlockians. We all here are just enraptured with the BBC modernization of Sherlock Holmes, but let's not forget our roots. For some of you, I'm afraid you haven't formally been introduced to the world's only consulting detective.

This quiz will focus mainly on Holmes and Watson from Conan Doyle's original 60 stories, with a little Moriarty thrown in. The focus here is on introducing the characters, the developing relationship, etc. We can do another quiz later with specific facts related to the cases themselves if you wish.

Rules: We'll keep it simple--Everyone answer as many as you can. I won't give hints on the forum, but you can PM me. If several people need the same help, I'll consider posting the hint. You can also PM me for "How many do I have correct?" type stuff, and I'll tell you the number correct, but not which ones.   

Answers will be posted sometime late Friday evening (EST), and the winner announced.

There are 11 questions because, well, I needed one more than 10. : )

The game is afoot...

1. Every story has a beginning. What words did Dr. Watson first hear Holmes say?

2. Ladies (especially), what colour are the eyes of our detective friend (bonus points if you tell the story in which this information is found)?

3. Each story (or nearly so) gives us a glimpse into Holmes' special deductive powers. What brilliant deduction is the very first one that, through Watson's eyes, we get to see?

4. Most of the stories have Dr. Watson as narrarator. Four of them do not. Which are they, and, for those, who relates each drama?

5. Easily, the most popular image of Sherlock Holmes is with his deerstalker hat, Inverness cape, and calabash pipe. In which canon story do we first see Holmes portrayed in this manner?

6. No one would call Dr. Watson an immoral man, but we do see hints of one particular vice in stories such as "The Dancing Men" and "Shoscombe Old Place". What weakness do these stories (and perhaps one or two others) suggest or show?

7. The best-known illustrator of the stories that appeared in The Strand magazine was a relatively unknown artist. Name the man who gave Holmes his handsome, scholarly, dignified aura.

8. All good things must come to an end. What is the last case (chronologically) that we see Holmes and Watson solving as one unit?

9. Related to Holmes retirement, Dr. Watson tells us that Holmes has removed to the Sussex Downs, and occupies himself primarily in two fields of study. What are these two fields?

10. Yikes! Almost done... Watson leaves the rooms at 221B Baker Street at one point, and then returns to live with Holmes again later. Why did he come back, and why did he originally go?

11. Moriarty, arch-nemesis of Holmes, never actually meets Dr. Watson. He gets all his information about the professor from Holmes. What is unusual about the way Holmes introduces Watson to Moriarty in the canon? I suspect this question might be hard to follow. I can't make my meaning more clear without giving away the answer. PM me if you wish, and I'll give any hints that I can.

Bonus: Hidden within the questions themselves is a clue as to what Holmes himself might think of this quiz. Can you find it? Note: If you think you know, feel free to post your answer, but please give us a ***Spoiler*** alert so as not to ruin the fun for others.

Have fun. (no exclamation point for kazza's benefit) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 9, 2012 4:40 pm  #2

Re: Canon Quiz: Character Development - Ends June 15th

Got the bonus!
I'll work on the questions now!!
P.S. It's an exclamation mark, not point

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 9, 2012 5:11 pm  #3

1. Every story has a beginning. What words did Dr. Watson first hear Holmes say?
I’ve found it?
(That's the only one I can get without some serious research!)

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 9, 2012 5:18 pm  #4

Research is a good thing, when the subject matter is so interesting...

June 9, 2012 5:24 pm  #5

Grr... wiki answers is being cryptic.
(Not that I was using it or anything!!)

I'll have to get out my kindle... *apathetic groan!*

June 9, 2012 5:36 pm  #6

I'm working on my answers now too.  GREAT  questions!!   I  think I understood your last question.   I  love this canon quiz  very well thought out.   Lucky  for me I have that big book  of all the stories...

I  know this isn't the answer to number 1,  but---"Come here , Watson,  I need you."   

Molly--- I've been meaning to ask you abt your kindle--  but I'll send you a PM  later on,  ok?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 9, 2012 5:39 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 9, 2012 5:41 pm  #7

OK! 

June 9, 2012 6:53 pm  #8

Molly Hooper wrote:

OK! 

So, is that how you've gotten so many posts? 

Only 1,231 more to go...

Last edited by Tantalus (June 9, 2012 6:54 pm)

June 9, 2012 7:07 pm  #9

I'll have you know, my posts are usually heart-felt and deep! But short sentences are also good for creating atmosphere and suspence (not that there was much of that in my last post!)
I see you're on the army now!!

1,230! ;)

June 10, 2012 2:17 am  #10

Molly Hooper wrote:

I'll have you know, my posts are usually heart-felt and deep!

I get the feeling everything you do, Molly, is heart-felt, deep, honest, etc. Are you sure you're not the real Molly? 

June 10, 2012 5:41 am  #11

Hey tantalus,  do  we post our answers here   or  PM  you?   I'd  like to wait until just the day before,  to  post mine,  would that be ok?  tricky questions,  BTW  i  LOVE  a challenge.  love this quiz too.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (June 10, 2012 5:51 am)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 10, 2012 6:38 am  #12

Tantalus wrote:

Are you sure you're not the real Molly? 

No chance! She's way more nicer than me!! You haven't seen how stroppy I can get at times!
I'd give anything to be even half as nice as she is (though she is a fictional character so that might be a bit hard!)

June 11, 2012 12:56 pm  #13

sherlockskitty wrote:

Hey tantalus,  do  we post our answers here   or  PM  you?   I'd  like to wait until just the day before,  to  post mine,  would that be ok?  tricky questions,  BTW  i  LOVE  a challenge.  love this quiz too.

Feel free to post here, or PM me if you want a count of how many you have correct. Waiting to post is fine, as well. I hope that's what everyone's doing, rather than ignoring the canon! : /

June 11, 2012 1:14 pm  #14

Oh trust me, I'm working on it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 11, 2012 1:47 pm  #15

Just stuck on one of them but I shall maintain my pursuit.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 11, 2012 2:21 pm  #16

Great quiz. There were only like 4 of them that I knew outright...I'll have to research the others. Quite the challenge...thank you.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 11, 2012 3:52 pm  #17

Oh, did I mention I'm giving away a free grass-fed steak (or a bushel of tomatoes for you veggies) to the winner. Of course, in the spirit of eating local, sustainability, etc., we don't deliver; you'll have to come pick up your prize. 

June 11, 2012 4:36 pm  #18

Not gonna work!
I only do quizzes for QUAVERS! (or Wotsits if you've got any)

June 12, 2012 3:05 am  #19

Molly Hooper wrote:

Not gonna work!
I only do quizzes for QUAVERS! (or Wotsits if you've got any)

Have you ever heard of any normal foods? You know, like pizza, hamburgers, lasagna, fruit, vegetables... 

June 12, 2012 4:12 am  #20

what is it with quavers???  I  just fouind out what they really are.   Yeah  I'm  still working on my  quiz answers...I  want to  get a nice enough score.......I  don't do steak.   tomatoes are fine.  You'll have to send them to me via Owl Post,  tho.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

Board footera