BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2013 6:16 am  #641

Re: Germany board meet up

t

Schmiezi wrote:

Everything is better in Köln than in Düsseldorf ...

(I have to say that. It's a regional thing.)

Nothing to add. LOL
I'm going to ask a few of the hotels near the fair for BBC ONE. A lot of international guests so perhaps... What would be your Schmerzgrenze (English?) for the price of the hotel room?

Last edited by gently69 (December 4, 2013 6:17 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2013 7:27 am  #642

Köln is hell for car drivers but as long as the hotel has a parking lot I am fine with it. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 4, 2013 7:29 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2013 8:44 am  #643

Right. I just wrote 2 emails to hotels near the fair and ask if they can receive BBC One. One I know from staying there myself, the other was tested by friends. Let's keep the fingers crossed.

Last edited by gently69 (December 4, 2013 8:44 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2013 12:56 pm  #644

Uhm... all they have is BBC World.
I could ask at Maritim and Hyatt but I don't think they have BBC One either. And they are much more expensive. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by gently69 (December 4, 2013 1:46 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2013 1:39 pm  #645

If we don't find one we will have to do it via Internet. So WLAN would be the alternative, I suppose. And the laptop and the projector. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2013 1:52 pm  #646

My research also did not turn up good results.
For streaming, we will not be the only ones, so that might be a problem.
I read that if a few people would open a private screening channel that problem could be solved.
But i have no clue if anyone in the UK will be on board with that.
I have sky but I am not sure if I have BBC1. Maybe I can order it additionaly and then use the mobile version to watch it.
I get back to you if I get back home from my travels and have some more info

December 4, 2013 2:17 pm  #647

Alright then. I could recommend this hotel.
http://www.nh-hotels.de/nh/de/hotels/deutschland/koln/nh-koln-city.html
Stayed there 2 times, it's not too far away from the "Kölner Altstadt" and the rooms are nice. Price for a double room will be around 146 € at this time. Well there's no W-Lan at the rooms but wired connection. Think we have to pay for this but together we should afford it. Let me know what you think.

@Maggie
You think we will have a break down then?

Last edited by gently69 (December 4, 2013 2:26 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2013 3:31 pm  #648

Wired connection might be even better than W-Lan. No risks for breakdown there, at least.
I don't remember at which hotel I stayed last time. It was an orange one directly at the main station.
It was okay to stay there one night, nothing special, though. Will search for it.

I was also thinking about arrival on Saturday already, so I could walk around in Cologne for a bit.

Edit: It was the Kommerz Hotel. 144,00 Euro a double room as far as I can see.

http://www.guennewig.de/kommerzh/zimmer.php

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 4, 2013 3:36 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 4, 2013 3:36 pm  #649

The one where also the bus station is?

(Tony Hadley)

December 4, 2013 3:41 pm  #650

Yes. The ugly one. And I was right - it's orange.

http://www.bilderbuch-koeln.de/Fotos/altstadt_nord_kommerz_hotel_hinter_dem_hauptbahnhof_von_oben_32978

The one you found looks much more inviting.

Last edited by Mattlocked (December 4, 2013 4:04 pm)

December 4, 2013 11:57 pm  #651

Mattlocked wrote:

Whoppa! That's one night, double room, right? Apparently, I underestimated hotel prices.
Any chance I can just join you as a guest for watching? ;)
I would then leave afterwards to rest my sherlocked head in a noisy crowded hostel somewhere with all the other poor students

I'm also not sure about W-Lan... just imagine it doesn't work properly... 5 minutes into the film, and then a breakdown... that would kill me for sure!! ;)

btw, the orange kommerz hotel looks like a crime scene itself... *scary but inspiring*

Last edited by Whisky (December 4, 2013 11:59 pm)

"It is what it is."

December 5, 2013 9:56 am  #652

Mattlocked wrote:

I was also thinking about arrival on Saturday already, so I could walk around in Cologne for a bit.

Perhaps we can meet then. If you like too.

Whisky wrote:

btw, the orange kommerz hotel looks like a crime scene itself... *scary but inspiring*

As far as I know they already used it for the Cologne "Tatort".

(Tony Hadley)

December 5, 2013 3:41 pm  #653

Whisky wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Whoppa! That's one night, double room, right? Apparently, I underestimated hotel prices.
Any chance I can just join you as a guest for watching? ;)
I would then leave afterwards to rest my sherlocked head in a noisy crowded hostel somewhere with all the other poor students

Let me know if you''re interested in sharing a nice cheap room at a hostel I flinched a bit at the hotel prices, too... especially since I'll already have to spend probably some hundred Euro for the train ride to Köln

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

December 5, 2013 4:30 pm  #654

@gently  Sure, that would be nice! Maybe there are others, too.

@SherlockianDE  Well, some hundred seem a bit overdone to me. But I know what you mean.
As I haven't been on holiday for years I don't mind the room prices right now.
And of course I don't remember everyone's age. Everyone around here earning some money?

December 5, 2013 4:56 pm  #655

Mattlocked wrote:

@SherlockianDE  Well, some hundred seem a bit overdone to me. But I know what you mean.

You're right of course, what I actually meant to write was a hundred, not some but still, that's a lot of money to me (I'm currently working as an intern and therefore earning very little...).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

December 5, 2013 7:16 pm  #656

Whoa, I totally forgot you actually have to pay for a night in a hotel. 
I would pay any amount of money just for Sherlock and the fun, even work for it. But I'm also going to pay for the skiing vacation, which will be indeed some hundred. Ugh, but I wouldn't miss this meeting for the world.
WHY IS LIFE SO COMPLICATED. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

December 5, 2013 8:49 pm  #657

Think we have to make a decision soon. If we want to meet in Cologne... well it's a trade fair town. I will have a look if I find any other offers.
Find an offer on hrs for the NH Hotel City. 49 €?

Last edited by gently69 (December 5, 2013 8:56 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 8:52 pm  #658

Right. Me again.
Someone suggested this hotel in Ratingen which has the BBC One channel.
http://www.city-hotel-ratingen.de/index.html
Wrote an email today and ask again to be sure about BBC one, but didn't get an answer so far. If they confirm, we can try this one. Nevertheless with the backup of a laptop and a projector.
Well it'll be hart for me... Ratingen is near Düsseldorf... and  I'm from Cologne. But for Sherlock (and Ben) I gonna do everything.
So... what do you think??? (You see... I'm really keen on this "event")

(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 9:01 pm  #659

Sounds good, gently! Let's hope they've got BBC1. Thanks for making enquiries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 6, 2013 9:04 pm  #660

No problem. GET ME SOME! (hotels with the right channel!!!)

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera