BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2013 7:27 pm  #1

Independent interview (Moftiss, Benedict, Martin) SPOILERS

Here is a new interview from the Independent:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/sherlock-series-3-benedict-cumberbatch-and-martin-freeman-provide-teasers-for-the-biggest-comeback-in-british-television-8988545.html

And a quote that gave me some food for thought:

“They don’t teach you how to deal with that,” says Cumberbatch, who undoubtedly owes his star status to Sherlock. Does he find the obsessive nature of some Sherlock fans just a little, well, too much? “I had a friend who once squeezed her rabbit too much until it started to squeal and she thought it was kind of going, ‘I love you’, when it was really saying, of course, ‘You are the reason I’m dying’,” is his slightly alarming response. “But what I love about the show is that there are lots of people who weren’t outside the hotel today equally excited to see it and are just waiting for it as a quality piece of television.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2013 7:30 pm  #2

Re: Independent interview (Moftiss, Benedict, Martin) SPOILERS

SusiGo wrote:

“But what I love about the show is that there are lots of people who weren’t outside the hotel today equally excited to see it and are just waiting for it as a quality piece of television.

When I read this some half an hour ago I was like:"Yes, he's talking about us!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 6, 2013 7:32 pm  #3

Agreed. I always hope to be a respectful fangirl. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 6, 2013 8:38 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

Agreed. I always hope to be a respectful fangirl. 

I try.  I really do try. 

And even if I sometimes get a little out of hand online, if I ever had the utter luck of meeting him in person I would never be rude or vulgar.  I love Benedict's art but I know in real life he doesn't owe me a thing.  He's wonderful in that he does sometimes go out of his way to give a little back to the fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 6, 2013 9:17 pm  #5

If I ever met him, I'd love to talk to him ^^ Especially about Cabin Pressure 

I wouldn't say no to a hug, though ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 6, 2013 10:05 pm  #6

Well, having fans hanging around outside your hotel isn't exactly a new phenomenon, it startet with the Beatles, I suppose. The thing is that nowadays with Twitter and the internet, it's not just the fans outside the hotel, it's thousands of people on the internet who immediately know what's going on in/around the hotel. And I guess that some of the fans can be quite... obsessive. And when you appear in the Jimmy Kimmel Show, reading out lyrics from an R. Kelly song the way Benedict just did, that doesn't exactly help to calm the fans down.

So. That's what one could say in defense of the fans. But then again: Yes, Benedict is an actor, he is successful, he's working in Hollywood and he's certainly glad he is able to do the jobs he is doing. But in the end it's his job, and no fan has the right to expect anything from him, and every fan should be able to respect his privacy and the fact that he hasn't signed any contract that states that he has to be available for fans 24 hours a day. Or that he always has to like and enjoy the fuss that fans or the media make about him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 6, 2013 10:31 pm  #7

I know what it means being a devoted fan. I live this for 28 years now. (Oh my god, really?)
And I got to know all kind of fans. I think Benedict can also cope with fans standing outside the hotel as long as they behave like reasonable people. Hysterical ones are a big problem. And any fan who doesn't respect privacy. I waited ages outside of venues and hotels, but never at homes and I'm too shy anyway to do something really stupid. A lot of fans don't know where to stop. Sad....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 6, 2013 11:46 pm  #8

Possible spoilers in this post based on quotes from the interview - so please skip if you are leery.

Here are the quotes I liked best in this article:

You can’t spend 90 minutes explaining how he did it,” says Gatiss. “Everybody’s very excited about it now but I guarantee everybody will forget about it as soon as it’s done because for us [the episode] was about restoring the friendship between John and Sherlock.” 

Gatiss says that there won’t be any disguises in the Conan Doyle sense: “For all the potential fun of putting on putty noses or ginger wigs, it’s actually quite spooky if you go, ‘Oh he was here all the time… he was hiding in plain sight’.” He was keen for a more emotionally challenging reunion. No Victorian stiff-upper lips here – this will be more the 21st-century variety.

“The dynamic shifts, which is really exciting,” says Cumberbatch. “There’s a bit of explanation and it’s not like the stories where Watson goes, ‘Oh, good… what’s the next case?’” Indeed, like many a close bachelor male friendship, this one is threatened by a woman.

John’s circumstances have changed in a way that you will see. He has to face the fact – as he sees it – that his friend has died. So he’s trying to have a reasonably steady and stable life.” Sounds like marriage, then? “We do have some scenes together, yeah, but she [Amanda] will be involved in some scenes I’m not in.”
   Intriguing.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 6, 2013 11:53 pm  #9

Oh yeah, I almost forgot this one:

The word-play here refers to the Conan Doyle story “His Last Bow”, which was Sherlock Holmes’s last ever adventure ([u]fear not, the TV show is returning for a fourth series)[/u]

Obviously not confirmed but quite likely I think....

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

December 7, 2013 12:43 am  #10

And there's another example of how people's comments are dissected and taken out of context to make press articles more exciting. I just read the whole actual interview with Benedict on tumblr (I'll post the link when I'm on my computer), where his comments about the fans appear in a much different light. His answers were actually just funny and nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

December 7, 2013 1:23 am  #11

^ Here is most of the quote from Benedict and you are right, when you hear the whole response it is in a completely different context....

Is there a sense that Sherlock’s fandom might love the show a bit too much? Like, they’re Lennie squeezing that puppy in Of Mice And Men?

What a great analogy. Wow. I never would have thought about it as something as dramatic as that. I had a friend who once squeezed her rabbit too much - that’s not a euphemism - [laughter] until it started to squeal, she thought it was saying  (in the voice of a rabbit, somehow) ‘I love you’, but it was really saying ‘You’re crushing my ribs and I’m dying’ [laughter].

I would never want to accuse the fans of being anything other than intelligent, thoroughly full-throttle enthusiastic and into it, but what I love about our show is that we have a really broad audience and there were lots of people who weren’t outside the hotel today who will be equally excited to see it, who will just wait for it as a quality bit of television, which is what we like to view it as.
Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/benedict-cumberbatch/28363/benedict-cumberbatch-on-sherlock-series-3-the-rooftop-fall-irene-adler-elementary-star-trek-into#ixzz2mkQtrPbq

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/benedict-cumberbatch/28363/benedict-cumberbatch-on-sherlock-series-3-the-rooftop-fall-irene-adler-elementary-star-trek-into

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (December 7, 2013 1:25 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

December 7, 2013 3:31 am  #12

sirlockofthesher wrote:

^ Here is most of the quote from Benedict and you are right, when you hear the whole response it is in a completely different context....

Is there a sense that Sherlock’s fandom might love the show a bit too much? Like, they’re Lennie squeezing that puppy in Of Mice And Men?

What a great analogy. Wow. I never would have thought about it as something as dramatic as that. I had a friend who once squeezed her rabbit too much - that’s not a euphemism - [laughter] until it started to squeal, she thought it was saying  (in the voice of a rabbit, somehow) ‘I love you’, but it was really saying ‘You’re crushing my ribs and I’m dying’ [laughter].

I would never want to accuse the fans of being anything other than intelligent, thoroughly full-throttle enthusiastic and into it, but what I love about our show is that we have a really broad audience and there were lots of people who weren’t outside the hotel today who will be equally excited to see it, who will just wait for it as a quality bit of television, which is what we like to view it as.
Read more: http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/benedict-cumberbatch/28363/benedict-cumberbatch-on-sherlock-series-3-the-rooftop-fall-irene-adler-elementary-star-trek-into#ixzz2mkQtrPbq

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/benedict-cumberbatch/28363/benedict-cumberbatch-on-sherlock-series-3-the-rooftop-fall-irene-adler-elementary-star-trek-into

Even when he's trying to say that some of us are a tiny bit scary he does it in the sweetest most polite way.  *sigh*   And this is why we adore him.

Last edited by tonnaree (December 7, 2013 3:31 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 7, 2013 8:18 am  #13

I never know whether it's cos I'm incredibly thick, or whether it's Benedict's turn of phrase.
But I've actually had to read that a few times, before I got it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 7, 2013 9:16 am  #14

Agreed, now, not taken out of context, his answer has a completely different ring to it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 7, 2013 9:17 am  #15

You hit the nail right on the head.
Context is everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera