BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2013 2:55 am  #1

Speculation on "Many Happy Returns."

Ok, we know there's going to be a mini episode aired in England on Christmas day. (Joy-joy: new Who AND mini Sherlock!  Eeeeee!) We know that the thumbnail summary is that somone is not convinced Sherlock's dead. I've been pondering who.

Should not be Mycroft or Molly: Molly's too clearly set up to help arrange the faked death. She should know, not just suspect. Should not be Mycroft; first, the terrorism plot-line of "Empty Hearse" too strongly suggests that Sherlock's been working within Mycroft's circle of influence while he's been gone, and second, Moffat and Gatiss seldom screw up the core truths of original canon enough to leave Mycroft in the dark when he was the original Sherlock's one most trusted collaborator, even over John.

Mrs. Hudson? Well, they could do a cute "woman's intuition" thing. 

Lestrade's my guess: he's known Sherlock longer than anyone but Mycroft, he's a detective in his own right, and the aftermath of the fall should have had him reviewing every single thing he ever knew about Sherlock, up to and including the presumed death.

Donovan/Anderson etc? Just does nto seem likely, but could make for a very amusing mini ep, so I won't rule them out entirely.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Should not be John, becuase it contradicts all known canon, and would badly skew the emotional outcome of the return.

Last edited by TammanyT (December 6, 2013 2:57 am)

December 6, 2013 4:32 am  #2

Re: Speculation on "Many Happy Returns."

It would be an interesting twist if it was Anderson.  Them more I think about it the more I believe that the "fan club" scene in the trailer is from the mini-episode.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 6, 2013 5:19 am  #3

Re: Speculation on "Many Happy Returns."

That would work for me.  I'm not averse to Anderson getting that slot...and it could be amusing.  I would expect all regret and repentence over driving Sherlock to his death to go up in smoke in mere seconds.! 

Board footera