BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2013 2:47 pm  #121

Re: What does your username/signature/avatar say about you?

FluteLocked wrote:

Maybe it's a bit late for telling you this but I think it was a good idea to make this thread!

Username
My username is a crossover between my hobby (playing concert flute) and my obsession (what was it?.......er.....um.....oh! Yes, I think it's SHERLOCK )

My current avatar is a picture of (from?) a beach in Ireland from our last holidays.
I really love this country, it's so beautiful...

Signatur
The current line 'That...was amazing. ' was my first favourite line.
Now they change very often but this was the first that really kept in my mind.

Flute!  Played flute a bit, though my forte was piano and voice.  Glad to find a fellow music junkie!!!

"His name is Joshua.  It's from the Bible.  It means deliverance."

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

October 21, 2013 2:58 pm  #122

Me too!

Though many in my school are playing flute. But nevertheless!

October 21, 2013 5:20 pm  #123

FluteLocked wrote:

Me too!

Do you play piccolo, as well?

"His name is Joshua.  It's from the Bible.  It means deliverance."

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

October 21, 2013 6:44 pm  #124

leoninechelle wrote:

FluteLocked wrote:

Me too!

Do you play piccolo, as well?

No, not yet. 
I don't play since two years,  so I'm busy enough practising that...

(Sorry for being OT)

October 21, 2013 10:51 pm  #125

Oh I hadn't checked out this thread before. What a great idea!

Wholocked - what it says on the tin. I love Doctor Who and Sherlock and I needed a relevant user id for this forum so that's what I picked!

Avatar - an image I found that combined Doctor Who and Sherlock in a single image close enough that it could be cut down to avatar size. I really wanted one with Ten instead of Eleven but there aren't really any and I'm not very good at image creation myself.

Signature - My favourite quote from the 2 series currently out; and a fantastic gif I found of Benedict and Johnny Lee Miller in Frankenstein; if you haven't seen it, next time NTLive in your area makes it available go see it. It's an amazing stage production.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 21, 2013 11:51 pm  #126

Hello! Well I just joined these forums, but I can tell you a little about my name. First off my avatar, which I JUST put on should be pretty self explaining. I am JOHNLOCKED! XD As far as my name, Neptune Centari goes, I have been Neptune Centari for as long as I can remember. I came up with it when I was 11. I'm almost 30 now, so I've had it forever. When I first started going online, around age 11, I needed a username... I think it was for yahoo IM. I was a really big Sailormoon fan, and Sailor Neptune was my favorite. So I came up with Lady Neptune. I was Lady Neptune for about a year. Then I started playing a game that had an avatar and I wanted a name. Not just Lady Neptune. I wanted a first and last name. So I decided Neptune was a good first name and then proceded to play around with other astrological terms and settled on Centari. I spelled it wrong on purpose. I didn't like the way Centauri looked, so I dropped the U. I created a unique name and it just kinda stuck. It's never taken and it's memorable. So there you have it! I have been Neptune Centari for almost 20 years, and I plan to be Neptune Centari for the rest of my internet life.

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

November 14, 2013 5:00 pm  #127

I don't know how people come up with such clever names, they're really awesome.
Anyway, my avatar/ Username/ signiture comes from:

. Udername- Sherlocks- Lullaby: Is the name of a project I'm working on and I thought the name sounded cool. I'm actually 45% done with it, but now I've got to do the hard part of drawing it T^T

. Avatar- Portrait: An early picture of me I did a while back, I need to update it soon because my style can change so quickly from one picture to the next.

. Signiture: "We do what we like, and we like what we do" - Party Hard, Andrew W.K

Quote from my 2nd favourite song from Andrew WK, who's my faourite singer.
(My number 1 favourite song, however, isn't really very poetic for a quote, but if you ever find a Shakespear play with the the words "You better get ready to die (Get ready to die), You better get ready to kill! (Get ready to kill), You better get ready to run, cause here we coooooooome, You better get ready to die! (GET READY TO DIE!!)" then call me. )

And that's the slightly strange story about my profile.

"We do what we like, and we like what we do!" - Party Hard, Andrew W.K

Highfunctioning Digital Fan-artist.

November 16, 2013 3:40 pm  #128

Once more into the breech dear friends...it is sort of the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 16, 2013 3:41 pm  #129

For England, Harry and St. George. Does that work?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 19, 2013 7:06 pm  #130

Aww. I love the stories behind all the usernames, pictures, and signatures. So creative and unique!

Well, NiTeLight is kind of my internet name. I use it on pretty much every forum I'm on. I originally came up with it for the first forum I joined (enfpforum, which is dedicated to Meyers-Briggs typology). I'm INTJ and the first cognative functions associated with that type are Ni and Te (in that order), hence NiTe. Because of that, I wanted to use the word "night" somewhere in my username so I could incorporate that in there. I've always loved night, because it's calm and quiet (very much like me). I always feel there's something magical and invigorating about it. My mom suggested "light" because I tend to be happier and vivacious/spirited than the majority of my peers (nightlight = light in the night, which works nicely if you take my broody, disheartened peers as metaphorically being darker like night). I settled on NiTeLight because when I think of nightlights, I think of the warm, soft light, the beauty of dim light, and the almost unintrusive presence, which matches me well (I'm sweet, quiet, introverted, tend to be the sideline- or hidden- observer in social situations, etc.). The last reason I chose it is because I find beauty and appeal in both dark things and light things (literally, e.g. enjoying a sunrise as much as a thunderstorm, and metaphorically, e.g. hurt/comfort in fan fiction).

My avatar is based off my username. I'll probably change it based on the season (e.g. a jack-o-lantern during October, or a Christmas tree during December) but for the most part, I like lanterns that give off a warm feel (like candle flame, not the harsh cold light of LEDs). I'm not 100% happy with the image I currently have, so I'll likely keep changing it until I find one I like.

My signature will also probably eventually change, especially once season 3 comes out, but for now I like it as-is. Both quotes are related to the last episode of season 2. The first one, from the Prestige, I got the idea for from a lovely, clever piece of fanart: http://y0do.deviantart.com/art/The-Prestige-280442831  It perfectly sums up my fan mindset and view of The Reichenbach Fall. The second one, from John, basically mirrors my thoughts (and it's one of the most touching scenes too). I think they go really well together...

Last edited by NiTeLight (November 19, 2013 7:09 pm)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back." -- The Prestige

"Just one more thing, one more thing, one more miracle, Sherlock, for me, don’t be … dead. Would you do that just for me?" -- John (s2e3)

November 19, 2013 7:56 pm  #131

My username? Doesn't have anything to do with Sherlock or anything connected to it. It's a relict of my past... title of a song from the 80s. I already use it for ages. And the number? Guess what...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 30, 2013 6:28 pm  #132

My user name and signature come from the song "Presto" by Rush. I've been using lyrics from that song to form user names ever since I first went onto the internet. My avatar, a little otter in the snow, has nothing to do with the otter memes going around. I once joined a message board, and every possible user name I could think of was taken, so I added "Otter" to it, making the name Winter Otter (this was back in 1999). So now I use lyrics inspired by "Presto" and sometimes otters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I had a dream of a winter garden
A midnight rendezvous
Silver, blue, and frozen silence
What a fool I was for you!"

December 4, 2013 3:24 am  #133

Mine is boring, and merely indicates that when I wanted a username at one point I picked one of my favorite characters from Walt Kelly's Pogo series. It's very much like naming oneself "Hobbes" for Calvin's good-buddy.

Tammany Tiger:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1047808

December 5, 2013 1:43 pm  #134

I chose "Placebo" as my user name because my actual user name I used everywhere turned into my real name so I can't take it anymore. While thinking of a new one I was listening to the band Placebo and thought "Placebo sounds pretty cool". I doubted it would be available, but it was. Yay!

My avatar is Sherlock from behind. There's no reason for that.

And my signature just speaks to me. I think it is true, but that's just my opinion.

"The loneliest people are the kindest.
 The saddest people smile the brightest.
 The most damaged people are the wisest."
 All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do."

December 5, 2013 4:54 pm  #135

I love Placebo!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 5, 2013 7:39 pm  #136

Swanpride wrote:

You mean your user name became your official name somehow????? How is that possible?

Here in the US, all one has to do is start using a new name, so that they become known by that name, and that makes it legally their name.  Alternatively, someone can go to court and get their name legally changed to anything that's not obscene or illegal in some way. Many women do that at the time of their divorces, especially if kids aren't involved. My own sister took my mother's maiden name as her new last name when she divorced late in life.

December 5, 2013 11:09 pm  #137

Thanks, besleybean. :D

It is like ancientsgate explained. I'm known by that name so I can't use it anymore. Everyone would know it's me, also I would be easier to find via google which is not the purpose of a user name. I think about changing it in my pass, unfortunately it's very expensive. :/

"The loneliest people are the kindest.
 The saddest people smile the brightest.
 The most damaged people are the wisest."
 All because they do not wish to see anyone else suffer the way they do."

December 10, 2013 10:42 pm  #138

Oh wow, so many more!

@maggi13: I'd love to see Simon on Sherlock... Erm, I'd best be careful with that sentence because I'm certain that could be misconstrued 

@FluteLocked: thank you very much, I don't often create threads so it's nice to see I haven't made a totall mess of it and it is something that others actually enjoy discussing.

@Wholocked: I watched NT Frankenstein about two months ago at a cinema on Halloween. It was a wonderful experience. I had already read the stageplay (and the novel by that token) so I knew what was going to happen but there is no substitute so seeing it fully realised on stage.

@Neptune Centari: I picked my username out years ago too. I have a few 'go to' names that I swap out and change every few years.

@NiTeLight: Practically using your personality as your Username, I like that. I got tested aaaaages ago by a bloke from the navy (of all things) I turned out to be INFJ... he took me to one side and calmly said 'this is probably not a valid career choice for you.'

@Placebo: Placebo! I love them too. They were the soundtrack to my adolescence... Oh god, showing my age there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 6, 2014 11:22 pm  #139

Mirth has been my internet name since 2007 when I joined David Hewlett's website, now dgeek, to try and find out when the next season of SGA was airing.  I wanted something short and sweet (considering I type fast and post a lot) as I would be typing it a lot.  I also wanted it to say something about me, and my username says it all.  I adore humour in every way.  I love to make people laugh, and I love people to make me laugh.  Everything I love has humour in it and I see humour in just about everything. 

I always said the best thing my parents taught me was how to laugh.  It gets me through everything that life throws at me, and it has attracted the very best of friends to me.  Laughter is my religion - hence my username.

(My avitar is the photo that I submitted to the latest Photo Competition on dgeek that David Hewlett picked as his favourite and the winner for that month - I'm rather proud of it.  I made to show my geekism - which when it's not laughter is The Word.  Written or Read, I love how words combine to tell a story and how they can be shifted to mean something different)

Mirth
xx

Last edited by Mirthxx (January 6, 2014 11:28 pm)

January 7, 2014 2:53 am  #140

Mirthxx wrote:

Mirth has been my internet name since 2007 when I joined David Hewlett's website, now dgeek, to try and find out when the next season of SGA was airing.....(My avitar is the photo that I submitted to the latest Photo Competition on dgeek that David Hewlett picked as his favourite and the winner for that month - I'm rather proud of it...

Welcome to the forum. As you can tell by my user name, I'm an old SG-1 and SGA fan myself. Jack and Daniel, and McShep forever!  DH is a cool guy, I loved his character in SGA, although my fave was Dr. Carson Beckett.  What a lovely cast of characters both those shows had!

Board footera