BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2012 12:52 pm  #21

Re: Technical Help and Questions

Hmm...there's quite a lot of protection on the Science Of Deduction site it appears. I tried to steal the background image so we could try using it here but it wouldn't let me...If anyone is any better at doing things like that maybe they could have a go..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 9, 2012 2:16 pm  #22

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 3:16 pm  #23

you are such a ......................  freakin expert! I applaud your internetship and wisdom.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 3:23 pm  #24

And on a hangover

It's very much appreciated Kazza.

-m0r

June 9, 2012 3:38 pm  #25

I'm considered the loud mouth here and probably everywhere lol but always am honest & give credit where it is due.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 10, 2012 1:20 pm  #26

m0r - Do you know how to make a CSS?

June 10, 2012 3:10 pm  #27

I don't get involved with with design by democracy SH, I don't work well with others

However I can tell you that it's simpler than you think. A 'Cascading Style Sheet' means just that, commands for format are put into a .css and the .html picks up on that throughout the document. This means your content (The posts and things here) remain however the way they are displayed can be altered radically just by updating the .css file, those changes 'cascade' throughout the site.

A very good set of examples is over here at CSS Sez Garden.

I'd recommend you play around with colours first, if you look at the current .css for here which is sherlock.boardhost.com/style/BlackandWhite.css you will see 6 sets of numbers or letters (Or a mix of both). Letter are always between A and F. These are the colours used within this page - change a few of them and get an idea for how they work.

Once you have colours figured out you might then want to look at fonts, spacing and other aspects of your .css

Being a forum though, there will be limits to how 'customised' you can make it - but I'm sure you and the design team will figure out where the limits are in no time.

I'll still be on-hand for questions, so ask away - but the actual 'doing' part I won't do even for good money. Time has taught me I don't have the patience to be a designer.

-m0r

June 10, 2012 3:38 pm  #28

Lol, yeah that's fair enough...I wasn't actually asking you to do it for me...just a few tips. I'm familiar with designing websites in FrontPage so know a few basics.

Apparently you can import whole CSS sheets into this forum so you don't have to stick with their customisable options. I was hoping to maybe work on something away from the forum then try and import it. Gonna try it out on the staff forum too just in case I screw anything up. (Yes, we have a staff forum, ooooh)

June 10, 2012 5:08 pm  #29

I've always found that learning from others examples is a good way to pick up tips and techniques.

Here's a small selection of others who use this hosting solution for forums; Independent Rear Suspension, Arizona AZA Football, Croix De Fer, DC Spurs, Hull City, My Govan, Bracket 5000, Bing Crosby fan world and Cow Town motors.

If you search through their individual CSS's you'll see how they each get their formatting the way they do.

To be fair I think you've done a fine job well beyond any of their 'skills' already but if you feel like pimping it up here then go for it!

Testing in the staff forum, providing it uses a different CSS from here, should be plenty of fun for you girls!

Enjoy!!

-m0r

June 10, 2012 5:16 pm  #30

Jumps up and down in an excited Sherlock manner. Yes!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 10, 2012 7:57 pm  #31

hey  I  might have a problem,  I don't know--the gif pics from  other players seem to be slower than usual  when I  log in  here...sometimes they stop, and i have to refresh the page to get them going again.  I  know   they are on  a loop,  so   it must be my computer.   any  advice?  thanks!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 11, 2012 1:11 am  #32

I'd recommend using Google Chrome Kitty for your internet browsing.

It updates itself and should keep your browsing safe and in good order.

I'm assuming that your system has been bought within the last 3 years and isn't used for gaming or video editing.

-m0r

June 11, 2012 5:11 am  #33

bought in 2007,  I  think.  I  have  games on it, but not very many.  and I do use it for image editing.  not video editing tho,  I can't burn dvd's or cd's on it.  You tube is way beyond my capabilities.   If  google chrome  is free,  do  I delete IE 7  or whatever that is?
thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

June 11, 2012 5:39 am  #34

no need to delete IE7; you just have a second system to use.
www.google.com/chrome

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

June 11, 2012 7:14 am  #35

Kazza is correct about having a second system to use (I usually tout Firefox) but if you are wishing to stick with IE then I cannot recommend enough that you upgrade to at least IE9 (10 would be better).

Your system should be fine for things like YouTube but IE7 was notorious for getting 'additions' like toolbars and all sorts of things which slow you computer right down.

I'd delete it from your control panel and then 'using Chrome' either download the latest version of IE or indeed Firefox.

I think you'll find that's the root of your problems here.

Also, do a 'disk clean' by double clicking on 'My computer', right clicking on the C drive, selecting 'properties' and selecting 'clean disk'.

There could be tons of redundant files there which can also slow your computer down.

I suppose another tutorial with system maintenance would be useful...I've just finished work and have a busy week but I'll see when I can get it done (Unless anyone else would like to write one!).

-m0r

June 12, 2012 1:51 am  #36

When I joined earlier today I mentioned that this was the first time I've been on a forum. And I've already made a mistake. I wanted to say hi to a member who lives in the same town as I do and posted a message to his/her introduction. That moved that conversation to the top of the queue, which is not what I meant to do.
I think the new members should show up in date order. Part of the fun for me is to watch how and when people sign up, and now I've messed up the order.
Can you fix it, or can I?
By the way, it's funny that you gave me the title Wrong! because that is exactly the thing in episode 1 that hooked me.
And thanks again for moderating and administering.

June 12, 2012 2:14 am  #37

veecee wrote:

When I joined earlier today I mentioned that this was the first time I've been on a forum. And I've already made a mistake. I wanted to say hi to a member who lives in the same town as I do and posted a message to his/her introduction. That moved that conversation to the top of the queue, which is not what I meant to do.
I think the new members should show up in date order. Part of the fun for me is to watch how and when people sign up, and now I've messed up the order.
By the way, it's funny that you gave me the title Wrong! because that is exactly the thing in episode 1 that hooked me.

Don't worry about the threads moving up--that's just how it works when new posts are made. The date you joined is always part of your signature, so you can track it there.

And, once you get 15 posts to your credit, you'll no longer be "Wrong!"

Again, welcome.

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 12, 2012 2:14 am  #38

Each conversation (Or thread as it's known in the lingo) will always float to the top of the recent posts or sub-category that it's in regardless of who posted in it.

It's occasionally referred to as a 'Bump'.

There is nothing wrong with what you have done and the other member will most likely recognise that your thread and theirs are independent of each other.

It's trail and error and we're a pretty decent bunch for experiential learning from new members

Your title will change after your initial 15 posts sadly, it's an indication of forum activity - I'd like to be permanently Wrong! too.

-m0r

June 12, 2012 2:24 am  #39

Tantalus wrote:

veecee wrote:

Don't worry about the threads moving up--that's just how it works when new posts are made. The date you joined is always part of your signature, so you can track it there.

And, once you get 15 posts to your credit, you'll no longer be "Wrong!"

Again, welcome.

OK. Thank you!

June 12, 2012 2:25 am  #40

m0r1arty wrote:

Each conversation (Or thread as it's known in the lingo) will always float to the top of the recent posts or sub-category that it's in regardless of who posted in it.

It's occasionally referred to as a 'Bump'.

There is nothing wrong with what you have done and the other member will most likely recognise that your thread and theirs are independent of each other.

It's trail and error and we're a pretty decent bunch for experiential learning from new members

Your title will change after your initial 15 posts sadly, it's an indication of forum activity - I'd like to be permanently Wrong! too.

-m0r

Yeah, what he said... : )

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

Board footera