BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2012 12:34 pm  #21

Re: Awkward words in the US

Everything, basically.

There's a very funny post on the very funny John Finnemore's blog about 'Wall Street English', if anyone is interested. 'Luncheon is for softies', apparently!.

By the way, in case you don't know (you poor deprived things) John writes Cabin Pressure which Benedict is in. His blog (John's that is, not Benedict's, because Benedict doesn't have a blog) is brilliant. Have a look if you have any spare time between episodes of Sherlock, or waiting for the next series.

www.johnfinnemore.blogspot.co.uk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 12:36 pm  #22

But you know what bibbing is, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 9, 2012 1:13 pm  #23

Oh yeah I know about bibbing alright! Lol

No, I just don't get the post at 2.13am today.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 9, 2012 1:38 pm  #24

No, me neither!
I think he meant espanglish!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

June 9, 2012 1:54 pm  #25

Wake up m0r and explain!!

Although I am just off to do some bibbing myself. And yes, I know, alcohol should always be drunk in moderation. I just like to save my units up...a bit. There may even be Twiglets...may be dangerous! 

June 9, 2012 1:57 pm  #26

He might not remember... if he's been bibbing!

June 9, 2012 1:59 pm  #27

Indeed! Memory loss can be a... Oh! I've forgotten what I was going to say! Lol

June 9, 2012 2:03 pm  #28

Yes bibbing extravaganza and then internet - sorry all!

Having access to the highest quality malbec at ridiculously cheap prices and not having the common sense to stop = me rambling on like a mad man.

I truly am sorry.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 2:11 pm  #29

ok, enlighten the dumb one here. I could google it I guess but someone just send me a private message ( omg I will get heaps of them I bet)  in simple terms WTF is bibbing????????

Foreigners are so strange sometimes. I didn't know what dogging was till Moffatt enlightened me.

And yes Molly; I did Warn you I may post around this time & not to pay attention; but ... meh here I am after a night out.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 2:18 pm  #30

I'll keep an eye out:
"The forum youngster is watching over you!" 

June 9, 2012 2:22 pm  #31

For Kazza and anyone else not familiar with the term, bib means to drink.

Bibage is a slight perversion, or wordifying, which I call upon to indicate much of it.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

June 9, 2012 3:14 pm  #32

Damn! and we call drinking to much " sculling" !!

Or getting pissed; hammered; blotto; etc

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

June 9, 2012 3:59 pm  #33

Back on topic (sorry )
Period US= Full stop
Period UK= well, you know... (it may mean the same in US, I don't know.)

June 9, 2012 4:44 pm  #34

Molly Hooper wrote:

Back on topic (sorry )
Period US= Full stop
Period UK= well, you know... (it may mean the same in US, I don't know.)

Period does, in fact, refer to both the punctuation mark ("full stop"--that's just hilarious to me. I mean, what else would you do at the end of a sentence?) and the, err, monthly thingy.

What I don't get is the band-aid thing (sorry if I just cussed-out someone from Croatia or such). Here in the US, we put Band-Aids on cuts, scratches, etc.

And in the US, "ass" is considered a curse word if used to refer to the backside, but is perfectly fine if used to refer to the animal (though not very common) or if saying someone made a fool of themselves. So, "Kiss my a**"...not good; "He made an ass of himself."...perfectly fine.

Tell me about "damn" in UK, AUS, etc. In the US, it's a curse word, though a milder one. Is the use of "bloody" considered swearing in the UK and elsewhere? Seems perfectly fine to me here in the US, and I don't swear. (Well, at least not when others are listening. I frequently swear at myself, but there I go confessing again...)

Oh, and one more. I'll try to be careful here. There is a word for "kitty cat" that starts with a P, that is considered extremely vulgar here in the US. Am I correct that it's only used for the feline animal in the UK?

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 9, 2012 4:57 pm  #35

Ok...

1. What don't you get about the band-aid thing?

2.Damn is Ok, well I think it's Ok. If you used it in school the teacher might raise her eyebrows (Mycroft style!) but that would be all.

3. Bloody is (in my opinion) worse than damn, I wouldn't use it... In my school you'd probably get shouted at!

4. I hardly ever swear apart from the occasional 'S' word when I'm under high stress (bike riding etc.) but I usually replace the 'i' with 'oo' just to be on the safe side!

5. Yes, that word is used in UK but not so much now...

June 9, 2012 5:05 pm  #36

Molly Hooper wrote:

Ok...

1. What don't you get about the band-aid thing?

Well, in a previous post your friend asked about a band-aid. Is it something other than bandage for cuts? That's the only meaning it has in the US.

June 9, 2012 5:07 pm  #37

Oh, it dosn't mean anything in the UK, I literally had no idea what she was on about and thought she'd made the word up!! 

June 9, 2012 5:19 pm  #38

Quavers!

June 9, 2012 5:21 pm  #39

What about them?

June 9, 2012 5:22 pm  #40

Well, we don't have them here, so it's my new throw-out word. Better than "Vegemite!", don't you think?

Board footera