BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 8, 2013 6:27 pm  #41

Re: "We're not a couple" and homophobic accusations

I'm perfectly fine with the bromance on the show, it's their deep friendship (it's love too but platonic!) that interest me. More is perfect for fanfics but I don't want  to see it on the show
By the the way, I never see anything like this in Friends (sorry 
I'm on my phone and i don't like to writte with it)

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 8, 2013 7:52 pm  #42

sj4iy wrote:

Jonquille wrote:

josabby wrote:

An old college friend of mine wrote an interesting essay on the topic. http://scottalanmendelson.blogspot.com/2011/08/because-they-are-not-gay-why-forcing.html

Thanks for that most interesting link.

He does a perfect job of illustrating a big problem with society.  It's actually the same view that society takes about a man and woman.  I had a friend at work who was male, and we were really good friends, so we would often go to lunch together and sometimes even dinner.  I am happily married, but that didn't stop people from asking or just assuming things about us.  Honestly, I've always felt he was a little brother type.  But women and men can't have a close friendship and just be friends in society's view.  He moved away years ago and married his longtime girlfriend, and even though we haven't seen each other in years, he and I still call each other up to chat.

So no, John's not being a homophobe, he's just being realistic about how the world sees him.

I think it goes back to the original post.  There was the example of the Doctor and Donna, people always assumed that they were a couple as a running gag just like people assuming John and Sherlock are a couple.
As a kid, I was a bit of a tom boy and had more fun hanging out with the boys my age than the girls.  People in my grade school swore up and down that I was dating various guys, but we were just friends.
There is a huge difference between people who ship Johnlock, and people who insist that they are gay.  Back to Harry Potter, when HBP came out and Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, and Lupin/Tonks became canon; many people who had become attached to the Sirius/Lupin or Harry/Ron or Harry/Draco accused JKR of being a homophobe because she wrote the characters that she created the way she intended to write them.  I'm thinking "you don't like it, stick with the fan fiction"

Last edited by josabby (August 8, 2013 10:04 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."
Whoa.  Sherlock was quoting Spock who was quoting Sherlock....Mind blown!!

August 9, 2013 6:24 am  #43

josabby wrote:

I've seen a few critics (well glorified bloggers) accused the denial of being a couple jokes in every episode as being homophobic. I don't see it that way.

However, it is also true that this version of Sherlock is not the most pro-diversity show either.. too many issues with contradictions and very double-edged jokes of 'I am not gay' jokes, which can really be read either way.

it will be super-interesting to see how these issues will be portryaed in series 3, now that so much attention has been focused on them!

August 9, 2013 6:59 am  #44

I really want to come back to the ideas about race. Obviously, we come from different viewpoints here but I'd see race representation as important. 

London is a city where white British born people are in the minority. (incidentally, as a Londoner that statistic gives me nothing but pride, I'm so proud of our diversity-I really love it). Sherlock is set in 21 st century London. Even aside from my feelings around the importance of representation, to have an nearly-all white London feels enormously inauthentic. Why on earth not have more black extras? I can't see a reason on this earth not to have black lead characters, or symathetic secondaries, but even if that's felt not to be ok, why not have extras in the crowd scenes that actually reflect London-particularly the North and Central London which I'm familiar with, and in which Sherlock is set?  Make a positive decision to recruit a good percentage of black actors? This isn't actually about pcness, its about making a show that reflects 21st century London. 

Regarding the portrayal of the Chinese characters in the Blind Banker. Well first off, they were all villains, with the possible exception of Soo Lin. But also, the idea of sinister, yet agile, Asians infiltrating the West really is an unfortunate stereotype that I'm honestly surprised they showed. I'm all for being as authentic as possible to the stories, but Conan Doyle's casul, 19c racism-not so much. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Peril). Its 21st century Holmes and that means more than smartphones. 

What I truly think is going on here is not that the showrunners are covert racists, but that this isn't something that registers for them. I think, as someone else said, if you are white its enormously easy not to notice how many people of colour there are in the show. And I do understand how that seems to be a good thing, how being "colour blind" might seem to mean you are also not prejudiced, but I think unfortunately it can also mean you don't realise how poor the representation actually is. Discounting the Blind Banker, in the remainin 5 shows we have something like 4 or 5 people of colour in the whole show. That's around one per episode. Not cool.

To put this into perspective, its as inauthentic a representation of London, and feels about as grating to me, as if there were only one white British born person in each episode. 

Last edited by beekeeper (August 9, 2013 7:05 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

August 9, 2013 11:06 am  #45

Swanpride, if there were many positive representations of people of colour on the show I might agree with you. The issue occurs when the only representation you have of Chinese people is as part of a mafia ring. Similarly, when the only representation you have of black people is as gangsters, meaning that the implication is that the only role black, or Chinese people play in that universe is as gangsters, or mafiosa, or what have you, then that becomes very problematic. 

So the issue isn't so much with the plot per se, but the fact that the only portrayal of Chinese people-and London has a huge, diverse, Chinese community, the second largest in Europe I believe-is where a. they are criminals and b. their ethnicity is a key part of their characterisation. Its a pretty much textbook example of what Edward Said , three decades ago, termed "orientalism", and I was a bit surprised to see it popping up on a mainstream BBC show. 

Last edited by beekeeper (August 9, 2013 11:08 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

August 9, 2013 12:54 pm  #46

What about John's girlfriend Jeanette in Scandal? She was black and that didn't seem to bother him too much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 9, 2013 9:10 pm  #47

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

There's also the fact that Mark Gatiss is gay.

Exactly what I was thinking.

"Partita No. 1. Thank you, Johann Sebastian Bach."

September 10, 2013 4:52 pm  #48

Weather or not John and Sherlock are Gay is no big deal to me. What I do see is that they do love each other, but love is not sex. You can still love anther person with all your hart and not want to sleep with them. Just as you can sleep with some one and not love them. 
Yse John and Shelock love each other and may even be soalmates, but that does not mean that thay will end up in bed. Or and I do think this is very possable that the both of them are bisexal. This is what I am getting from what I have seen. 

Last edited by madwitch58 (September 10, 2013 4:53 pm)

Madwitch 58
The Madwitch of the Midwest

October 2, 2013 12:03 pm  #49

I don't find Sherlock to be homophobic at all.

In my opinion, John's insistence that they are not a couple is endearing and hilarious, and completely dispelled by Irene Adler when she counters to John that yes, they are very much indeed a couple.  Note that Irene points out to him that he's not gay, and she is, and yet they are both inexplicably drawn to Sherlock in a way that they could never be to anyone else.  Is it sexual?  Is it intellectual?  Is it both?  That's never clarified.  What is clarified, however, is that they truly see Sherlock and adore him for everything he is or isn't.  Note also, that John is unable to come up with a suitable argument to counter that, which implies, in some manner, that he agrees.

Personally, speaking as a bi-sexual who is also into kink, I found Irene Adler utterly captivating and exquisitely portrayed.  I didn't at all feel misrepresented.  I didn't feel like Irene dropped her sexuality for Sherlock.  She's obviously not a novice when it comes to seducing men.  She seduces period, regardless of sex and/or orientation.  

"His name is Joshua.  It's from the Bible.  It means deliverance."

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

October 3, 2013 11:07 am  #50

SolarSystem wrote:

I can understand those homophobic accusations to a certain extent, but not because of how it's dealt with in the show. It's more because of what Moffat occasionally says in interviews. There was one (or was it a press conference or was it at Comic Con? Don't remember...) just quite recently where you got the impression that he finds the idea absolutely absurd that Sherlock and John could eventually end up together in the show. Which is fine with me, I ship them, but I don't need to see them together in the series, it's fine the way it is.
I was just wondering why he reacts to the idea in such a "that's total nonsense and will never happen"-fashion. Would he react like that if we talked about, let's say, Molly and Sherlock? I really got the impression that the idea of two guys getting together is almost unthinkable to him.
But maybe I'm totally on the wrong track here. And like I said: I'm absolutely fine with the way in which they portray it on the show.

And it was already said: There still is Mark Gatiss, isn't there?

Moffat can seem almost snarky in certain interviews with fans. Even if he didn't mean anything by it, he probably has a different direction he wants to take the show and doesn't want fans dreaming for a reality he'll never create? Maybe?

Mark Gatiss is MUCH warmer, friendlier with fans. Steven Moffat doesn't always seem to like talking to everyone. Mark Gatiss seems to realize that most fans...are going to be a little intense, a little obsessed even, and have their own ships and heck - as creators - that's flattering. It means they love your show ;)

Just a difference in personality. I don't think Steven Moffat actually was perturbed by the idea of someone thinking of two male characters as being 'shipped' as being outrageous. More that he doesn't want that in this instance, and he wants the fans to keep up with him. I get a note of impatience from him, sometimes....

October 3, 2013 1:01 pm  #51

To be fair, he is the head writer for two of the most popular shows in the UK and around the world.  He's constantly bombarded by questions, and after a while you just get tired of answering the same ones over and over again.  The one about Sherlock's sexuality ALWAYS comes up in interviews as if people are expecting him to one day change his answer.  Personally, I'd be more snarky than that.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

November 27, 2013 11:11 pm  #52

Hey guys. It's so neat to read all these different opinions -- there's so much I didn't think about until you pointed it out. To me, the title of this thread addresses two very different things; John's little not-a-couple asides, and homophobic accusations. I only feel qualified to express an opinion about the former, so let's start there.

To me, it's simple: John's little we're-not-gay asides just seem like tongue-in-cheek. Like he's saying Hey, society, there's more than one way to be close to someone. When we're bombared with stories of romantic love it's so easy to forget that friendship can be real, and meaningful, and powerful. And I think it's awesome that the writers are reminding us of that.

Also sad that we need to be reminded. 

Also encouraging (from a more selfish point of view) that so many of you guys had the same friendship-interpretation as I did. Maybe we got it right, if 'right' exists at all in this case.

November 28, 2013 9:12 am  #53

ChrisHale wrote:

To me, it's simple: John's little we're-not-gay asides just seem like tongue-in-cheek. Like he's saying Hey, society, there's more than one way to be close to someone.

I have a different opinion here: For me, his denials sound a bit agressive, focusing on the fact that he is NOT Sherlock's boyfriend. He doesn't point out, that they have a very intense, though unromantic, friendship, he only stresses the fact that they are not a couple. So it's not like he is defending his friendship, but more his heterosexuality.

I found this blogpost here somewhere dealing with this issue: http://fandomsandfeminism.tumblr.com/post/37116303807/sherlock-is-the-grossest-example-of-queerbaiting and while I am not sure if I agree or not, I certainly can understand the criticism.

The Game is On!

November 28, 2013 12:00 pm  #54

I quite see it like you, Marva. Only that to me this "defending his heterosexuality" seems all in vain.
To me those scenes seem to make fun of his denial. Or make fun of some men's I-Must-Be-Straight attitude.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 28, 2013 12:11 pm  #55

Notice he never says "I'm not Bi."  

Sorry!   Sorry!   I just had to!   *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 28, 2013 1:36 pm  #56

Harriet wrote:

I quite see it like you, Marva. Only that to me this "defending his heterosexuality" seems all in vain.
To me those scenes seem to make fun of his denial. Or make fun of some men's I-Must-Be-Straight attitude.

yeah, that's true. The problem that I have with it that in the end you get the impression that you have to defend the "accusation" of being gay, or that it is some kind of an insult if somebody says you are gay. Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that you can (or even should) make fun of everything and anything. Just with the background that homophobia is still widely spread in the society (fortunately not in this forum), teenagers are bullied because they are gay and some of them even committ suicide, this type of "fun" is not something I particularily like. If you make fun of some kind of minority or group that is not equally accepted it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

I should add that these remarks are totally nitpicking from my side. Of course I still love the show very much (why else would I be here) and this is complaining on a very high level. I just wanted to say that in my opinion there are some issues regarding these "I'm not gay"-jokes.

The Game is On!

November 28, 2013 1:39 pm  #57

Marva wrote:

I found this blogpost here somewhere dealing with this issue: http://fandomsandfeminism.tumblr.com/post/37116303807/sherlock-is-the-grossest-example-of-queerbaiting and while I am not sure if I agree or not, I certainly can understand the criticism.

I'm also not sure if I agree or not, but while reading it, a question popped up in my head: Why actually go there and include these homosexual innuendos at all, if you say on the other hand (as Moffat does) that it's totally absurd to think that there might be more than just friendship between John and Sherlock? I really don't get this, because.... if they wanted to have some sort of joke in the show to which they could come back to repeatedly, why choose this sort of joke? It could have been something completely different, and it still would have had the potential to be clever and funny!
But if, on the other hand, there's more to it than just joking around about it... then what is it? And why not take 'the next step', whatever that might ultimately be? The writers (first and foremost Moffat) made a conscious decision here, and I don't believe for a second that they did not anticipate the reaction they would get from viewers and fans.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 28, 2013 1:42 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 28, 2013 1:42 pm  #58

I think I know what you mean, but I'm not sure if they don't actually turn it into some: Come on, John, what exactly is YOUR problem with these comments?
This I find quite hard to tell.

But, there is the show, and then again how some people perceive it, and I also often feel uncomfortable being told "this is just a gay joke, don't you get it?" - makes me wonder: What is the joke about?

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 28, 2013 2:00 pm  #59

SolarSystem wrote:

Marva wrote:

I'm also not sure if I agree or not, but while reading it, a question popped up in my head: Why actually go there and include these homosexual innuendos at all, if you say on the other hand (as Moffat does) that it's totally absurd to think that there might be more than just friendship between John and Sherlock? I really don't get this, because.... if they wanted to have some sort of joke in the show to which they could come back to repeatedly, why choose this sort of joke? It could have been something completely different, and it still would have had the potential to be clever and funny!
But if, on the other hand, there's more to it than just joking around about it... then what is it? And why not take 'the next step', whatever that might ultimately be? The writers (first and foremost Moffat) made a conscious decision here, and I don't believe for a second that they did not anticipate the reaction they would get from viewers and fans.

EXACTLY!! There is another great blogpost about romantic innuendos in the Sherlock series: http://sylviatietjens.co.vu/post/59034886056/so-i-mentioned-in-my-video-on-shipping-that

Which leads to my complaining before: even if, for some reason, they want to make the audience believe that there is something going on between John & Sherlock, they wouldn't need to let John defend himself as if he was insulted. There is just no need for it, but they did it deliberatley.

The Game is On!

November 28, 2013 2:34 pm  #60

John acts as if he was insulted. Does it mean they want us to accept/understand/share his resentment?
Or is it shown as his (and not his alone) problem/weakness/denied truth?

(Sorry I find it so hard to find the right words.)

Board footera