BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2013 9:45 pm  #1

I'm confused... (Lestrade and other first name issues)

I need your help, guys! I have been reading The House of Silk and raging over all the first name confusion. I've always thought that it was Greg Lestrade and Mike Stamford (having been introduced to bbc first). But, then this book tells me that it's George Lestrade and Henry Stamford. Which ones are right? Help me!!

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

October 19, 2013 10:02 pm  #2

Re: I'm confused... (Lestrade and other first name issues)

In canon Lestrade is only known as G. Lestrade so authors may choose a first name for him. 

It might be the same with Stamford except that only his surname is given so that he could Mike or Henry or whatever you want. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 21, 2013 8:54 am  #3

^ this.

But note that even Conan Doyle himself made naming mistakes. Most notably, he refers to Watson as 'James Watson' in The Man with the Twisted Lip. Which lead some scholars to conclude Watson's middle name to be Hamish, being an anglization of the Scottish name 'Seumas' which means 'James'. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is big enough for us, no ghosts need apply"

October 21, 2013 9:36 pm  #4

Jacco111 wrote:

^ this.

But note that even Conan Doyle himself made naming mistakes. Most notably, he refers to Watson as 'James Watson' in The Man with the Twisted Lip. Which lead some scholars to conclude Watson's middle name to be Hamish, being an anglization of the Scottish name 'Seumas' which means 'James'. 

I've heard that was because that Doyle hated it so much that he forgot the names

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

October 22, 2013 7:10 pm  #5

OR....hated it so much he did it on purpose! That would be worse. Eeeesh, he didn't hate him that much, I'm sure. He did used to respond to fan mail as either Holmes or Watson, so really, he was one of the first roleplayers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 23, 2013 4:31 pm  #6

I actually read an article of a Holmes-scholar once who implied that Conan Doyle might have been homosexual and had a lover named James... Because of the frequent appearance of that name in the stories. The mistake would then be some kind of 'Freudian slip'

I myself find this to be quite absurd, but it is no doubt food for thought for the Johnlockers among us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 23, 2013 4:55 pm  #7

As a Johnlocker, I can't really see a link between the two. I am perfectly aware that Johnlock is not canon, as I have said many times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 24, 2013 3:14 pm  #8

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

OR....hated it so much he did it on purpose! That would be worse. Eeeesh, he didn't hate him that much, I'm sure. He did used to respond to fan mail as either Holmes or Watson, so really, he was one of the first roleplayers.

Didn't hate him that much?
ACD killed Holmes. Out and out murdering someone simply to be rid of them, even if it's "just" a fictional character, to me indicates some pretty heavy negative feelings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 24, 2013 5:43 pm  #9

Doyle on killing of Holmes: "I have been much blamed for doing that gentleman to death, but I hold that it was not murder, but justifiable homicide in self-defense, since, if I had not killed him, he would certainly have killed me."

October 24, 2013 6:55 pm  #10

Jacco111 wrote:

Doyle on killing of Holmes: "I have been much blamed for doing that gentleman to death, but I hold that it was not murder, but justifiable homicide in self-defense, since, if I had not killed him, he would certainly have killed me."

So "Stand Your Ground" Victorian style was it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

November 5, 2013 6:13 am  #11

Jacco111 wrote:

^ this.

Conan Doyle also called Mrs Hudson "Mrs Turner" one time (which story though escapes me) and I think that's why Mrs Hudson made a reference to Mrs Turner's next door in A Study In Pink

Yes, Conan Doyle had a problem with continuity!

Last edited by BrettianHolmesFan (November 5, 2013 6:16 am)

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 5, 2013 9:50 pm  #12

Missed that reference in Sherlock, I think it is good to see that the writers care enough about the canon to insert those little easter eggs.

November 6, 2013 12:59 am  #13

Jacco111 wrote:

Missed that reference in Sherlock, I think it is good to see that the writers care enough about the canon to insert those little easter eggs.

Yeah I didn't catch that one until I started reading the original stories and I love it when I catch other references. There is a ridiculous amount of them in The Great Game in the first hour alone and one day I will watch the last 30 minutes to count those references!

Oh love your icon by the way!

And thanks Swanpride!

Last edited by BrettianHolmesFan (November 6, 2013 1:00 am)

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 6, 2013 9:59 pm  #14

I always thought they gave Lestrade the first name Greg because the other main policeman in the books is Gregson. I assumed they had combined the two to become Greg Lestrade.

Also he moved John's wound around in the book. Sometimes he was shot in the leg, other times in the shoulder. Hense why in the BBC series John has a limp but was shot in the shoulder. Another lovely nod to the original text.

================================================================

November 6, 2013 10:07 pm  #15

Michele wrote:

I always thought they gave Lestrade the first name Greg because the other main policeman in the books is Gregson. I assumed they had combined the two to become Greg Lestrade.

Actually Gregson is mentioned once in the BBC series and it comes in TRF when the chief superintendent is chewing Lestrade out over Sherlock.... you know after Donovan and Anderson tell on him? You have to listen very carefully but when Lestrade says other DIs have used Sherlock he starts to say Gregson's name.

Also he moved John's wound around in the book. Sometimes he was shot in the leg, other times in the shoulder. Hense why in the BBC series John has a limp but was shot in the shoulder. Another lovely nod to the original text.

Yeah another example of Conan Doyle not remembering what he had already written

November 20, 2013 10:34 pm  #16

Too many references!! Not really

November 27, 2013 5:01 pm  #17

Still wondering what a 'phycopath' might be, Cumbercookie. ;)

November 27, 2013 5:05 pm  #18

Don't worry, Cumbercookie! When I was your age I didn't know that such a word even existed. As for me, I understand you perfectly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

Board footera