BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2013 1:32 am  #1

"Why Benedict Cumberbatch is a Sex God"...real article

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 31, 2013 12:01 pm  #2

Re: "Why Benedict Cumberbatch is a Sex God"...real article

Wonderful!
I have to agree with this completely: " “Getting to know Benedict would be like unlocking a series of doors and finding an unexpected surprise behind each. Which makes him unpredictable and potentially wild when unleashed – another very sexy trait.” "

Though I abhor descriptions like "regularly attractive," they make my skin crawl. I always think--says who? Who gets to tell me what I think is attractive and what is not?

Other than that, A+! Thank you

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

July 31, 2013 12:17 pm  #3

In this article the author IMO should better distinguish between the actor and private person Mr Cumberbatch and the characters he embodies. When we see him in interviews he behaves actually very differently compared to Sherlock or any other intellectual character he played.
Especially his body language is much more relaxed and off guard in interviews. And we all simply don't know him in private without a camera pointed towards him.
So this whole analysis is rubbish, IMO.

The interesting question can be though why the asexual characters are interesting an this point of time and why they attract attention.

Last edited by Be (July 31, 2013 12:20 pm)

July 31, 2013 12:47 pm  #4

"Which makes him unpredictable and potentially wild when unleashed"

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

July 31, 2013 5:28 pm  #5

Ivy wrote:

"Which makes him unpredictable and potentially wild when unleashed"

Yes, we're having exactly the same thoughts.

Anyway, this is my favorite article now. Every time one of my friends or even my parents criticise my crush on Benedict I will just show them this article going like "Body language experts claim that he's a sex god. There you have it. Experts. You can read everything in detail. His unlimited sexiness is a bloody science. What you're gonna do now?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 31, 2013 8:14 pm  #6

Be wrote:

The interesting question can be though why the asexual characters are interesting an this point of time and why they attract attention.

I entirely agree. That would be a far more interesting thing to work on.

Not a fan.

July 31, 2013 8:20 pm  #7

One reason might be that an asexual character presents a special sort of challenge. Even if he's just an on-screen or literary character. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 31, 2013 8:46 pm  #8

Or perhaps many consider asexual people are people who can control themselves and that fascinates the public. ( Just to make it clear : I don't think that asexuality is about controlling onseself. I think that asexuality is misunderstood by many )

Not a fan.

July 31, 2013 9:51 pm  #9

Personally, I put this up because I found it ridiculously hilarious.  I don't see how someone can make a judgment about someone based on how good they are at acting.  The actor isn't the character.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

August 1, 2013 5:50 am  #10

sj4iy wrote:

The actor isn't the character.

How disappointing ! To think that my life had been revolving around one expectation : to meet BC, settle down with him, and have him shoot randomely at my wall.  So that won't happen then ? Dull. 

More seriously, I agree with you and don't think we can know anyone's true personality through the filter of the media.

Last edited by Jonquille (August 1, 2013 5:51 am)

Not a fan.

November 21, 2013 10:28 am  #11

I just digged out this thread because it answers a lot of my questions WHY I'm so keen on Benedict at the moment. I already mentioned in my introduction that I am slightly confused about this fact because I couldn't really explain it... to myself and others.
Like to let you know the extracts of the article which convinced me:

You’d actually probably be looking at him thinking ‘what an unusual face’ and then you’d make your own mind up about whether you think it’s attractive or not. It’s a bit like finding that one-off unusual designer outfit.” 

I completely agree with these sentences. For example an actor like Hugh Jackman just from his looks attracts me more but...

He does play massively intellectual characters, which helps with the charisma. I mean god only know what he’s like in real life. I think we imagine that he’s hugely intellectual, which would add to his alpha credentials.

I think whatever role he plays it doesn’t matter because he also happens to be a good actor.

That is what I discovered when I started being more interested in his works, not only Sherlock, Star Trek and The Fifth Estate which I knew until then.

This is a man who seems to be in control and he knows it. That level of self-assured power has always been attractive in a man.

I watched loads of interviews now and think it's very very difficult to really get him speechless. Of course he's more natural than the characters he plays but he always seems confident. But also sometimes shy and always... very English... I love that!!! I'm a fan of England and I love London.

He’s also got a very nice voice and I think that’s underestimated as an attraction. There’s something lovely about the not regularly attractive face with a very deep, intellectual alpha male voice that is fabulous.

Yeah, there it is again. The voice! The new drug, no other serious, in my life. I love "strong" voices. Also my all time favourite singer Tony Hadley, I hear our teenager members and the twenty somethings... "Tony Who?" , has a "mighty" voice... singing... and Benedict took over the speaking part. LOL

Well this forum helped me already to get things straight in my up to now confused mind.
Don't know if I would have found an article like this in the Internet so fast.THANKS!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 21, 2013 2:28 pm  #12

"Why Benedict Cumberbatch is a Sex God".

Because God loves us and wants us to be happy.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera