BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2012 11:56 am  #1

Language barriers

Something I just noticed in the threads.
We are all from different places all over the world.
BUT we all are here to share our ideas and our love for this show. A simple thing like language shouldn't stop any of us from joining in.

I know sometimes it may feel a little awkward to say to everyone ' I'm not understanding'.
So this is an invitation to anyone who has troubles to contact me using the private message feature that you can find under each person's name.
I am sure others will also be helpful and would welcome you contacting them also.

You can ask 'what do they mean in this thread?' or ' Are you being funny or do you really think Sherlock can fly?" or whatever it is that gives you trouble understanding what is being said.

I know that sometimes people cannot understand me and they speak English perfectly well!

I have not seen anyone here who isn't genuinely interested and helpful so please use your private messages if you need to ask someone what something means or how should you answer something.

Does that make sense?

I think we are one small happy family here and for that I say a belated THANK YOU to Sherlock Holmes our fearless Administrator.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 18, 2012 12:44 pm  #2

Re: Language barriers

Thanks Kaz! 

And yes, I totally agree. I think it's fantastic that we're all from so many different places all over the world brought together by our common love for Sherlock!

Definitely don't be scared of asking if there's something you don't "get", us English speaking lot are only too happy to help.

And whilst I'm at it might I add that you all speak amazing English anyway, much better than I could speak any of your languages. I did French and German at school but that seems an awful long time ago now!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 18, 2012 12:50 pm  #3

Oh dear, I must admit my best skill is using Google Translate!
My French was years ago also and I'd probably end up telling you all I live on the second floor on the right hand side; that's the one sentence I always remember, lol!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 18, 2012 12:56 pm  #4

Thanks, you both... I'm sure I'll end up writing private messages just to make some things clearer to me 
I'm a native Spanish speaker and I studied English since I was 10 at school. Anyway, I've learnt a lot more by watching tv shows and films in English than in 10 years of  lessons. And also reading and writing in forums. So, thanks for your offering and specially thanks for making this site a place to learn and improve!!
Love you, guys 

And of course, if any of you need to know anything about Spain/Spanish please ask, I'd love to help anyone 

Last edited by Irene_Adler (March 18, 2012 12:59 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 18, 2012 1:00 pm  #5

You're very welcome.

I'm always amazed that non-English speaking countries seem to have a large number of people who can speak more than one language.
I would be scared to try, but then I am old! lol

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

March 18, 2012 2:20 pm  #6

Sometimes I'm even jealous of my dictionary or very young native English kids - they all are a great deal better than me...
But then English hardly plays any part in my daily life. But I haven't given up hope to improve. Ok, I'm old but not dead yet...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 18, 2012 2:34 pm  #7

thank you everyone, next time if I don't understand / lost in the middle of discussion I'll definitely use PM :D

I was learning English since 3rd grade of Elementary School, yet my English not really good (especially grammar) :D
and with this forum, I think I can improve my English (hehe right now I'm still rely on Google translator)

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

October 21, 2013 11:28 pm  #8

It's strange but nowadays  I am a huge fan of Sherlock tv series thanks to the English language. Due to my needs of improving listening skills in the British English,  I discovered the show, so English has leaded me to this amazing character and his fascinating adventures.  However, I find sherlock's speeches and dialogues difficult to follow sometimes..thanks GOD subtitles exists!!!!

The begining of a great adventure!!!

October 28, 2013 6:28 pm  #9

Even as a native speaker some of the speech is extremely fast.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 29, 2013 10:46 am  #10

spanisherlock wrote:

It's strange but nowadays  I am a huge fan of Sherlock tv series thanks to the English language. Due to my needs of improving listening skills in the British English,  I discovered the show, so English has leaded me to this amazing character and his fascinating adventures.  However, I find sherlock's speeches and dialogues difficult to follow sometimes..thanks GOD subtitles exists!!!!

Well, in the case of Danish subtitles they only confuse the issue. I seriously don't know who they got to do the subtitles, but I think whoever did it took a serious shortcut and just ran it through Google Translate. They make that little sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

November 20, 2013 2:32 pm  #11

Ormond Sacker wrote:

spanisherlock wrote:

Well, in the case of Danish subtitles they only confuse the issue. I seriously don't know who they got to do the subtitles, but I think whoever did it took a serious shortcut and just ran it through Google Translate. They make that little sense.

Depending on your English level I would recommend to use English subtitles. In my opinion it is more confusing to hear something in one language and simultanously to read it in another one.

The Game is On!

November 20, 2013 2:49 pm  #12

Marva wrote:

[
Depending on your English level I would recommend to use English subtitles.

Yes, this helped me as well. A good way to understand the details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 20, 2013 3:00 pm  #13

You can always read the transcript that somebody posted here:

http://verity-burns.tumblr.com/post/39958158918/sherlock-transcripts

It is well done and fun to read, too.

November 20, 2013 3:23 pm  #14

We always use the English subtitles. German subtitles confuse a lot!

But some time I have to watch it without any subtitles, because otherwise I just read.

Last edited by Mattlocked (November 20, 2013 3:26 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera