BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 9, 2013 11:09 am  #281

Re: Recently watched movies.

Went to see GRAVITY last night. It was gooooood! Effects amazing and love the character driven storyline. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 9, 2013 10:52 pm  #282

And I finally watched "Thor - The Dark Kingdom", and all I can say is: definitely not enough Loki!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 11, 2013 3:10 am  #283

Ha! I'm with you, SolarSystem!  Just saw Thor today. Pointless if it weren't for Tom Hiddleston, just like life  

I accidentally fell in love with him the other night and had to immediately go out and see him all big-screened out and Loki-ed up. So freakin' great. When the first Thor came out I didn't really understand the fascination with Loki, but needless to say I get it now. I. Get. It. I want to be his best friend. I just want to hang out with Loki, play poker, watch movies, take over planets. 

November 11, 2013 10:30 am  #284

Play poker with Loki...? That's quite risky, don't you think? I bet he's brilliant at bluffing!

I didn't even went to see the first Thor at the cinema, because at that point I didn't even know who Tom Hiddleston was, and I wasn't really interested in a movie about... yeah, well, Thor. And if it wasn't for Loki, I still wouldn't care.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 16, 2013 3:52 pm  #285

Thor was amazing...by which I mean Tom as Loki was amazing! That scene in the prison...the blood on his toes & stuff , and the death scene 'Sorry, sorry, sorry'.

Poker! Really? When are you ever going to not fall for that? 

So now the question is...how did he do it? Does that sound familiar? 

P.S. I am so glad to have recruited Merry to the Twhiddleston Army. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 16, 2013 3:56 pm  #286

Davina wrote:

That scene in the prison...the blood on his toes & stuff

Oh yes, I didn't see that coming at all. He looked so... pitiful. Made me shiver...

November 19, 2013 4:07 pm  #287

Oh, poor sweet Loki. I can't think about that scene, so sad. Poor Thor, really. 

The scene in the prison is gorgeous (FrizzyLoki!), but my favorite might be the one in the hall on the way out--the shapeshifting, the silliness 

I recently watched a scene from the first movie on Youtube, "Loki discovers he's a frost giant". AAAAUHHHHHGHGGGHGHHG!! WHY IS HE SO PERFECT?  What a great scene. I *may* have just ordered that movie and The Avengers from Amazon. 

I have a Hiddleston problem. The first step is admitting it. I'm pretty sure the second step is marrying him.

November 21, 2013 7:58 pm  #288

Merry! That made me laugh out loud! Three steps to heaven! 

To which I add that I saw a film called 'Philomena' this week. Dame Judi Dench and Steve Coogan. Based ver closely upon a true story and really, terrible, heartbreakingly sad. Watch it if you can! But you might want to take tissues. I didn't and my mascara ran! 

Last edited by Davina (November 21, 2013 8:01 pm)

November 22, 2013 8:24 pm  #289

I went today to watch "Catching Fire", the second film of the Hunger Games trilogy. It was awesome, even better than the first movie. It's very close to the book which is a good thing, many quotes also sound the same as in the book. I'd like to see it one more time ;)

The Road goes ever on and on...

November 22, 2013 9:48 pm  #290

I didn't see the first film but the trailer for this one was appealing. I like Jennifer Lawrence. So i might go and see it. There were few good films out over the Summer but, my goodness, there are some right corkers coming out now. I love a good film...me. 

November 27, 2013 4:47 pm  #291

I saw 'catching fire' too and love it
Even if it's close to the book I noticed a few things I hadn't understood if I had not read the books.
(OMG, sorry, me and english tenses.... I hope this sentence is not too wrong.)
But on the other side I think it isn't really possible to explain everything and at the same time not to leave out too much.

November 28, 2013 7:46 am  #292

Deilenn wrote:

I went today to watch "Catching Fire", the second film of the Hunger Games trilogy. It was awesome, even better than the first movie. It's very close to the book which is a good thing, many quotes also sound the same as in the book. I'd like to see it one more time ;)

Agree. I liked this movie also a lot better than the first one. It's much more dark and depressed and I am glad the new director didn't use handcameras. The movie is indeed very close to the book, but I am not sure if it wouldn't have been better to skip a few things. Many elements of the plot were shown very brief. I had to do a lot of explanation to my friend afterwards. I think especially the motivation of Katniss is not so easy to understand if you don't know the book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 11, 2013 7:45 pm  #293

All of those above movies sound so great…. Man… more on the list still trying to get to! 
I finally got around to seeing Cloud Atlas the other day.  Wow.  To say nothing of the production quality and simultaneously delightful and uncertainly weird 'game' of trying to spot all the actors' roles, I've always loved the idea of interconnected/reincarnated lives spread throughout time, or rippling effects through the ages.  I was a little confused how the 'old people trapped in the Home' segment was connected, as it seemed more stand-alone, aside from the 'rebellion' theme, and my friend mentioned it was probably partly for comedy relief as well.  Have any of you seen it and enjoyed, as well?

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 14, 2013 8:35 pm  #294

"Hours"
A film about a guy trying to keep his newborn baby alive in a deserted hospital, due to its evacuation during the hurricane Katrina (the plot is set in 2005). The film grabbed my attention from the start and kept in suspense till the end. The fight for life of the descendant moved me so much. In my opinion, Paul Walker did a great job there...

The Road goes ever on and on...

December 14, 2013 8:55 pm  #295

Desolation of Smaug. Top stuff!

Great dragon, lots of Kili feels ^^ Bard is a good character and I'd like to see more of him. Tauriel is kinda cool too. And of course, Bilbo is as wonderful as ever ^^

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

December 14, 2013 10:09 pm  #296

"Nativity!"  (me, wrapped in a blanket, on my couch)

A nice little - though very predictable - Christmas movie from 2009 with Martin playing a primary school teacher who's in charge of directing the school's musical version of the Nativity.
Martin's face expressions are once again so adorable.
I almost felt like crying myself when he cried...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

December 15, 2013 12:19 am  #297

tobeornot221b wrote:

"Nativity!"  (me, wrapped in a blanket, on my couch)

A nice little - though very predictable - Christmas movie from 2009 with Martin playing a primary school teacher who's in charge of directing the school's musical version of the Nativity.
Martin's face expressions are once again so adorable.
I almost felt like crying myself when he cried...

Awesome!   After hearing about it only thanks to this forum/fanning over Martin, I finally finally just ordered a copy, in time to watch for xmas… he looked comically adorable in it. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

December 15, 2013 12:44 pm  #298

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I really, really enjoyed this very funny film noir. Robert Downey Jnr. & Val Kilmer are just great in this and I love the way the narration works.

Cloud Atlas. I have read the book. I enjoyed the film, although I thought the pacing was a bit off at times. Not an easy watch because it flips back & forth in time and between characters. I think I need to watch it again.

Just about to watch Stone of Destiny....

December 16, 2013 9:18 am  #299

Lost interest in the Stone of Destiny. I think I need to give it more of my attention...so I will try again.

The more I think about The Cloud Atlas, the more I am impressed with it. It is demanding of the viewer, very demanding but I think it is fascinating, amazing. I will have to watch it again. Soon.

Last night I watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert. It is a brilliant film. Very funny, very sad and the characters are brilliantly portrayed.

December 16, 2013 11:42 am  #300

Davina wrote:

Last night I watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert. It is a brilliant film. Very funny, very sad and the characters are brilliantly portrayed.

Oh yes, this is one of my all time favourite movies! Makes you laugh, makes you cry, makes you go "What the...?!". 

Board footera