BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2013 7:19 pm  #41

Re: National Theatre: 50 years on stage

I can't help, tobe, I like your Benedict pictures as well - they are so much real life 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 5, 2013 7:56 pm  #42

What a wonderful experience, tobe! Your pics of Andrew and Roger are great! And Benedict... well, the most important thing is for you to know that you were there and he was there and that you were really, really close to him. Maybe not as close as possible, but nevertheless... pretty close.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 5, 2013 8:32 pm  #43

Great pics. I wish I could have been there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

November 5, 2013 8:40 pm  #44

SolarSystem wrote:

What a wonderful experience, tobe! Your pics of Andrew and Roger are great! And Benedict... well, the most important thing is for you to know that you were there and he was there and that you were really, really close to him. Maybe not as close as possible, but nevertheless... pretty close.

"... breathing the same air..... " (well, almost) 

Thanks Tobe, that was a great report and great pics even with shaking hands. (Sometime the pics I take from my cat lying still on the couch are worse!  )
What an adventure!

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 5, 2013 8:45 pm  #45

Mattlocked wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

"... breathing the same air..... " (well, almost)

Well, the way I see it... she could have thrown a stone at him, so minimal was the distance.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 8, 2013 5:26 am  #46

good God, Tobe...   beyond awesome,  thanks for the report and photos of your close encounter..  I'm sure your Miss C. will be hanging on to that postcard. 

A friend of mine went to the NT live local cinema showing last weekend,  and raved in general,
and was delighted with the Benedict Rosencrantz/Guildenstern scene....  Our local
theater plans a re-broadcast this next Monday.    I will be there,  looking forward to it!

November 8, 2013 5:51 am  #47

Russell wrote:

This is all too much awesome! What a great celebration of the long-running culture of one theatre… watched just the clips of Ben's and Andrew's pieces so far - wonderful. And the dedication-to-theatre type toast/monologue at the end and celebratory bowing…. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztbml7xfqvA

Wow,  always love those curtain calls!   I liked that they choreographed the bowing,  based on decade...
seemed like almost as many people onstage as in the audience!    a real who's-who.

Of course, especially enjoyed the sight of BC and Andrew Scott, holding hands during their bows.. 04:10

November 8, 2013 6:53 am  #48

And their faces at that moment!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2013 12:45 pm  #49

I have seen Benedict's clip ah so many times and I really, really would dream to see him in the whole play. One thing I noticed and I found very amusing, is that while in the play Rosencranzt plays a kind of Forrest Gump to Guildenstern (and the same thing happens in the film, in spite of all scientific discoveries he makes) in this scene it is Rosencrantz who come as a more dominant of the two. 
In any case, I really love this scene and although it is funny, it becomes very poignant when you hear panic raising in Benedict voice when he goes on with this thought.

November 8, 2013 1:17 pm  #50

miriel68 wrote:

I have seen Benedict's clip ah so many times and I really, really would dream to see him in the whole play. One thing I noticed and I found very amusing, is that while in the play Rosencranzt plays a kind of Forrest Gump to Guildenstern (and the same thing happens in the film, in spite of all scientific discoveries he makes) in this scene it is Rosencrantz who come as a more dominant of the two.

Hm, do you really consider Ben's Rosencrantz to be the dominant one in this scene? Okay, he has more text, he is talking and talking and talking and Guildenstern is just giving some short answers. But what is Rosencrantz talking about? I don't know the play (yet), so all I can go by is this short scene and what Benedict is doing here. But my impression is that Guildenstern is far more relaxed and cool, whereas Rosencrantz is a bit on the crazy side, really. Also a bit anxious. And it seems that lots and lots of thoughts and ideas are making him a bit confused, as if his head was spinning.

So I wouldn't call that dominant. I'd call it talking a lot about pretty weird stuff. And Benedict delivers this really great, don't get me wrong, and I guess we all tend to have thoughts like these from time to time. But Rosencrantz seems to be a bit... obsessed.

November 8, 2013 5:29 pm  #51

Good philosophical discussion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2013 8:23 am  #52

SolarSystem wrote:

Hm, do you really consider Ben's Rosencrantz to be the dominant one in this scene? Okay, he has more text, he is talking and talking and talking and Guildenstern is just giving some short answers. But what is Rosencrantz talking about?

Ok, I think I didn't use the right word here. What I mean, in the play (and in the film) Rosencrantz is kind of a endearing fool - this is the way Oldman plays him - he is really dumb and always scolded by Guildernstern/Roth, who is the leader of the duo and the one who is trying all the time to figure out what is going on. In this scene, which admittedly is one of the few in the play when it is Rosencrantz who talks more, the impression is reverse, IMO: Rosencrantz is the excentric thinker and Guildenstern is trying to follow  his train of thinking.
As for what Rosencrantz is talking about, it is very sharp and scary speech, although travested in a kind of comical form. He is pondering the fundamental question of what does it mean to be dead and notices - such a true statement - that we cannot really imagine this, because we tend to think about our being dead as if we were still alive (for example, we imagine how the people will react to our death or how will be our funeral) and not as a total no-existence and blackness without coscience. Once he (R.) understands that, he becomes more and more agitated and frightened, because he realizes that usually we prefere life - ANY life - to death. In life, we can always cling to hope, death is irreversible. However, an eternal life or an eternal conscience of death would be, in fact, both equally frightening. 

btw. the whole R & G are dead witht Oldman and Roth may be found on youtube. It is well worth watching it!

November 9, 2013 10:36 am  #53

Okay, I see what you mean, miriel. Ben's Rosencrantz certainly doesn't come across as dumb or foolish, and you are right, he makes some very sharp points about life and death. He does this in a comical fashion (just look at the audience's reaction, they had to laugh so often), and I have no idea if this is specified in the play or if it's just his (and the director's) interpretation for that short scene.

I'm just not so sure about Guildenstern, but that's probably because he only has a few lines. I can't really say if he's having trouble in following Rosencrantz's train of thought or if he is all relaxed about it or if he simply doesn't give a sh**. But you are right, Rosencrantz is doing the thinking here, definitely.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 9, 2013 10:36 am)

November 9, 2013 11:23 am  #54

I've just rewatched it with my daughter and actually enjoyed it a lot better the second time.
Andrew made me cry again!

Board footera