BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2013 7:53 pm  #1

Hello

My name is Amy, I'm in my mid-30s and I although I chose to acknowledge my love of Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes with my screen name but rest assured I love the BBC's Sherlock too and in fact it was through the BBC series I got my first proper introduction to Sherlock Holmes.

This board look familiar and I may have a registered an account here once before but I haven't a clue under what name

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 5, 2013 5:36 am  #2

Re: Hello

Welcome, Amy. Nice to have you here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 5, 2013 5:39 am  #3

Schmiezi wrote:

Welcome, Amy. Nice to have you here.

Thank you! Glad to be here!

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

November 5, 2013 5:46 am  #4

Welcome to the forum, Amy!
I'm sure you'll have a great time here, it's a lot of fun!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 5, 2013 7:24 pm  #5

Jeremy Brett is amazing!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 6, 2013 12:51 am  #6

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Jeremy Brett is amazing!!

For me he is in a league entirely his own and no one will ever match him. As I said I love Sherlock and Benedict Cumberbatch has his own special place in my heart for giving me my first proper introduction to Sherlock Holmes (plus he is just brilliant), but it is Jeremy Brett who has my heart!

As for Watson I have a harder time saying who my favorite is although Martin Freeman is in the front as I love John very much. I can't pick between David Burke or Edward Hardwicke as they both brought something to the Watsons they played and LOL I am purely smitten with Jude Law's Watson  

November 6, 2013 1:11 pm  #7

Hello and welcome
It is interesting to hear that you got your first proper introduction to Sherlock Holmes throgh Sherlock but became a Brettianholmes fan. I absolutely love Jude Law's portrayal of Watson. It's pure entertainment. But it is Freeman's Watson who touched my heart.

Last edited by holmes23 (November 6, 2013 1:12 pm)

November 6, 2013 1:19 pm  #8

Welcome, Amy, nice to have you here. My Holmes crush started with RDJ and exploded after I heard Benedict speaking. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2013 2:00 pm  #9

In my case, it is with the first RDJ movie my Holmes crush revived ..My first on screen Sherlock holmes is Matt Frewer. At that time, being hooked by canon and its hero, the seies and his Holmes were a big let down..I was unaware of Brett's Holmes then, it's only after RDJ movies I came to know of other major Holmes actors. I have seen two episodes of Brett, but that's enough to realise that He is not my Holmes. My Holmes is still the one whom I got from the canon. But I lplace RDJ's and Ben's SH next to him

November 6, 2013 3:56 pm  #10

holmes23 wrote:

Hello and welcome

Thank you!

It is interesting to hear that you got your first proper introduction to Sherlock Holmes throgh Sherlock but became a Brettianholmes fan.

Yes, not even halfway through the Granada series I knew Jeremy Brett had claimed my love and heart. He really was so very beyond brilliant and I cannot see anyone else coming close in their portrayal of the Victorian Holmes!

I absolutely love Jude Law's portrayal of Watson. It's pure entertainment.

Yes those movies are pure entertainment because he and RDJ just play so well off each other -- plus I loved their versions of Mary Morstan and Irene Adler (the only time I've ever shipped Holmes/Adler is in those movies)

But it is Freeman's Watson who touched my heart.

Oh completely agreed! 

November 6, 2013 3:58 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Welcome, Amy, nice to have you here. My Holmes crush started with RDJ and exploded after I heard Benedict speaking. 

Thanks -- and RDJ was actually the second Holmes I watched after Benedict making Jeremy Brett my third.

November 6, 2013 4:07 pm  #12

holmes23 wrote:

In my case, it is with the first RDJ movie my Holmes crush revived ..My first on screen Sherlock holmes is Matt Frewer. At that time, being hooked by canon and its hero, the seies and his Holmes were a big let down..

I have never seen his and I doubt I want to LOL!

I was unaware of Brett's Holmes then, it's only after RDJ movies I came to know of other major Holmes actors. I have seen two episodes of Brett, but that's enough to realise that He is not my Holmes.

That's a shame (wonder which 2 episodes you saw) but I know not everyone sees what I see in his portrayal.

My Holmes is still the one whom I got from the canon.

I am making my way slowly through the canon and I mean slowly LOL but it is a delight reading the stories they never made on the Granada series because I get to "hear" JB's voice speak the words ACD wrote inside my mind (yes love the man's voice as much as anything else *g*)

But I lplace RDJ's and Ben's SH next to him

Mine would be not counting canon Holmes: Jeremy Brett, Benedict Cumberbatch, then RDJ

November 6, 2013 7:07 pm  #13

That's a shame (wonder which 2 episodes you saw) but I know not everyone sees what I see in his portrayal

Scandal and Dancing Men

He really was so very beyond brilliant and I cannot see anyone else coming close in their portrayal of the Victorian Holmes!

I have wondered why I'm not that much interested in Brett's Holmes.It may be that since I have already formed a my own vision of Victorian Holmes, it's hard for me to replace him with anyone including Brett, who had portrayed him very closely. It's true RDJ also plays Victorian Holmes, but, however I like his portrayal, I know it's different and not the same. I like RDJ's portrayal coz of its entertaining aspect.

November 6, 2013 7:40 pm  #14

holmes23 wrote:

That's a shame (wonder which 2 episodes you saw) but I know not everyone sees what I see in his portrayal

Scandal and Dancing Men

He really was so very beyond brilliant and I cannot see anyone else coming close in their portrayal of the Victorian Holmes!

I have wondered why I'm not that much interested in Brett's Holmes.It may be that since I have already formed a my own vision of Victorian Holmes, it's hard for me to replace him with anyone including Brett, who had portrayed him very closely. It's true RDJ also plays Victorian Holmes, but, however I like his portrayal, I know it's different and not the same. I like RDJ's portrayal coz of its entertaining aspect.

Hmm I tried to win a good friend of mine over to Brett too and had her start with Scandal. That was a mistake because I had won her over to Sherlock first and she just didn't like the Granada episode. However I did convince her to watch The Speckled Band and she said with that one she began to see what I see in Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

The Dancing Men is one of my favorites and for me it's one JB's best episodes as Holmes so I say hmm as your reaction.

But then when you read the canon first and see it that way, I know seeing an onscreen version can disappointe greatly. For example I read The Hunger Games first and I was highly disappointed with last year's movie version of it!

November 6, 2013 8:09 pm  #15

The Dancing Men is one of my favorites and for me it's one JB's best episodes as Holmes so I say hmm as your reaction

The Scandal was the first one, and I didn't like it much. I enjoyed Dancing men far better, but the problem is that the story is not one of my favourites in canon

But then when you read the canon first and see it that way, I know seeing an onscreen version can disappointe greatly. For example I read The Hunger Games first and I was highly disappointed with last year's movie version of it!

Yes, that's it. I watched those Granada episodes not only because of Brett, but also coz of my curiosity to see the canonon screen. But then my interest cooled down as I was  familiar with the stories and had my own mental images  But I think, I should also try Speckled Band. It is one of my favourite stories as well

November 6, 2013 8:19 pm  #16

holmes23 wrote:

The Dancing Men is one of my favorites and for me it's one JB's best episodes as Holmes so I say hmm as your reaction

The Scandal was the first one, and I didn't like it much. I enjoyed Dancing men far better, but the problem is that the story is not one of my favourites in canon

But then when you read the canon first and see it that way, I know seeing an onscreen version can disappointe greatly. For example I read The Hunger Games first and I was highly disappointed with last year's movie version of it!

Yes, that's it. I watched those Granada episodes not only because of Brett, but also coz of my curiosity to see the canonon screen. But then my interest cooled down as I was familiar with the stories and had my own mental images But I think, I should also try Speckled Band. It is one of my favourite stories as well

It appears that Scandal may not be the way to win some folks over to Brett!Holmes

And ah I can understand why you didn't care for Dancing Men if you don't care for that one in the original!

The Speckled Band is one of two episodes I've watched more than others and JB is most definitely at his best in that one, which is why I have watched that one probably more than two dozen times!

November 6, 2013 10:45 pm  #17

Hello and welcome to the forum. So...you are a sort of reincarnation here,,,

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

November 6, 2013 11:20 pm  #18

Davina wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forum. So...you are a sort of reincarnation here,,,

Thanks and yeah I am but only if I did indeed sign up before now. I am not sure I did but the board does look familiar. I just want everyone to know I am not trying to pull any funny business as I've modded boards before and usually when someone on that board signed up for 2 accounts they were up to something.

In anycase this is the account I'll be using from here on out

Board footera