BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2013 4:19 pm  #1621

Re: Finally: The Sherlock/John picture thread

Mattlocked wrote:

For me it was like: "Hand me my phone." "Send a text." "Do the shopping." -----> "You drive."
Then again, the driver "has the power"........ so I'm still not sure how to think about it.

I liked it because it set my brain on "tilt"; in fact, it still does. I love it when the unexpected happens, especially if it's something that tilts me over into a thud.  heh

October 30, 2013 8:24 pm  #1622

I had (and still have) the very same experience with that scene, it still irritates me to see Sherlock drive the car. Just like Mattlocked I would have thought that driving a car just is too much of an... effort for Sherlock.
The whole scene in itself - the guys or one of the guys driving a car instead of going by cab - is so unfamiliar, and somehow (don't ask me why) to me it wouldn't have felt all that odd if John had been the driver. Really, don't ask me why, but somehow that would have felt more... appropriate.  

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 30, 2013 10:02 pm  #1623

SolarSystem wrote:

I had (and still have) the very same experience with that scene, it still irritates me to see Sherlock drive the car. Just like Mattlocked I would have thought that driving a car just is too much of an... effort for Sherlock.
The whole scene in itself - the guys or one of the guys driving a car instead of going by cab - is so unfamiliar, and somehow (don't ask me why) to me it wouldn't have felt all that odd if John had been the driver. Really, don't ask me why, but somehow that would have felt more... appropriate.  

I believe the decision to have Sherlock drive was all based on the one practical reason that MF does not drive, so....  short of getting a driver for the two of them, and a hired car, arranging for all that and paying for it, it was just easier and cheaper for the showrunners to have Sherlock drive. I still kind of like it, and the addition it made to BBC canon. Now we know Sherlock drives, even though we might never see him do so again.

October 30, 2013 10:12 pm  #1624

Yeah, well... I'd say that if the writers really had wanted John to be the driver, for whatever reason, it would have been possible to put Martin behind the wheel somehow. Actors learn to ride a horse or do dozens of other things for a particular role, so if they had thought that driving a car was totally out of character for Sherlock, they would have found a way for Martin to drive. Just my two cents.
I just don't believe that the fact that Martin doesn't have a driving license can be the main reason for Sherlock being the driver. The writers wanted him behind the wheel for a particular reason, I'm sure.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 30, 2013 10:32 pm  #1625

SolarSystem wrote:

...I just don't believe that the fact that Martin doesn't have a driving license can be the main reason for Sherlock being the driver. The writers wanted him behind the wheel for a particular reason, I'm sure.

I think they talked about it on the Hounds DVD "extras" thingie. I watched it months ago, so I can't swear, but I'm pretty certain that's how I knew MF doesn't drive, and that's why they put BC behind the wheel.  BC is apparently a car buff, so I'm sure it was no chore for him, and I imagine he didn't argue with them. *smiling at the thought*

October 30, 2013 11:27 pm  #1626

I read somewhere that it was planned the Martin to do the driving but on the day no one realised he couldn't drive so that was why the change was made.

================================================================

October 31, 2013 5:24 am  #1627

Ha... that's great... amused and agreeing all over again at that sentiment popping up again.  Sure, there was a practical reason for the switch, but still interesting on the part of the characters (especially since yes, their first vision was for John to drive, as well).  Admit uncertainly surprised me at first too...  why would he even bother knowing?  But if you think about it, it could very well fit with him, too... keeping up certain skills just in case they come up as needed for his work (just like canon Holmes).  So it's not that much of a stretch for him to be able to command a car in a pinch.  You wouldn't exactly want a stranger driving you to a highly curious location and asking about it.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 31, 2013 5:46 am  #1628

Russell wrote:

Ha... that's great... amused and agreeing all over again at that sentiment popping up again. Sure, there was a practical reason for the switch, but still interesting on the part of the characters (especially since yes, their first vision was for John to drive, as well). Admit uncertainly surprised me at first too... why would he even bother knowing? But if you think about it, it could very well fit with him, too... keeping up certain skills just in case they come up as needed for his work (just like canon Holmes). So it's not that much of a stretch for him to be able to command a car in a pinch. You wouldn't exactly want a stranger driving you to a highly curious location and asking about it.

I don't know if I would trust Sherlock as the driver. He doesn't strike me as the safest driver around.

================================================================

October 31, 2013 2:37 pm  #1629

Russell wrote:

....why would he even bother knowing [how to drive]? But if you think about it, it could very well fit with him, too... keeping up certain skills just in case they come up as needed for his work (just like canon Holmes). So it's not that much of a stretch for him to be able to command a car in a pinch. You wouldn't exactly want a stranger driving you to a highly curious location and asking about it.

Maybe I've just read too much fan fic, but aren't Sherlock and Mycroft orginally from the country? Isn't there some kind of country estate where Mummy holds forth, where the kids were raised? If so, that'd be a good reason why Sherlock would know how to drive. I don't know if there's any actual canon about it, but if they weren't city kids, driving around on the estate and then around town and stuff would be very common, even necessary.

October 31, 2013 2:42 pm  #1630

Michele wrote:

Russell wrote:

Ha... that's great... amused and agreeing all over again at that sentiment popping up again. Sure, there was a practical reason for the switch, but still interesting on the part of the characters (especially since yes, their first vision was for John to drive, as well). Admit uncertainly surprised me at first too... why would he even bother knowing? But if you think about it, it could very well fit with him, too... keeping up certain skills just in case they come up as needed for his work (just like canon Holmes). So it's not that much of a stretch for him to be able to command a car in a pinch. You wouldn't exactly want a stranger driving you to a highly curious location and asking about it.

I don't know if I would trust Sherlock as the driver. He doesn't strike me as the safest driver around.

He'd probably say that going slowly is boring or something 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 31, 2013 2:55 pm  #1631

ancientsgate wrote:

Russell wrote:

....why would he even bother knowing [how to drive]? But if you think about it, it could very well fit with him, too... keeping up certain skills just in case they come up as needed for his work (just like canon Holmes). So it's not that much of a stretch for him to be able to command a car in a pinch. You wouldn't exactly want a stranger driving you to a highly curious location and asking about it.

Maybe I've just read too much fan fic, but aren't Sherlock and Mycroft orginally from the country? Isn't there some kind of country estate where Mummy holds forth, where the kids were raised? If so, that'd be a good reason why Sherlock would know how to drive. I don't know if there's any actual canon about it, but if they weren't city kids, driving around on the estate and then around town and stuff would be very common, even necessary.

I think we read the same fan fic  (in which SHerlock is also an excellent horseman, yes?).  If you go with the family originally being from the country, then the Holmeses would know how to drive.  

But generally, I agree that it surprised me that Sherlock was driving given his very urban character.  Whereas with a military background Watson almost certainly knows how to drive.  [I could believe that they had to switch if Martin actually can't drive....but it seems to me that often actors aren't driving especially when it looks like they are.  The cars are on the backs of trailers filled with cameras.  It would be very distracting if an actor actually had to drive a car in filming conditions.]

My experience of the scene had a bit more of a switcheroo aspect becuase I was seeing it as a left-hand-driver-seat American. My process: (exterior driving scene) Ah, John is driving, of course.  Then...(interior driving scene) Wait, it's a British car.  Oh, Sherlock is driving.  Huh??  

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

October 31, 2013 3:14 pm  #1632

I love this scene at the start of Hounds 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 31, 2013 3:37 pm  #1633

kittykat wrote:

I love this scene at the start of Hounds 

Me too! 

-------------------------------------------------------

October 31, 2013 5:04 pm  #1634

Michele - that comment made me laugh.   No kidding! 

ancientsgate wrote:

I don't remember that.  Hm… does make sense though, that even an urban Sherlock, being from well-off family as they seem to be, would not have needed to?  I was basing my thought on the fact that even canon Holmes kept up knowing even random skills such as the making of disguises and how to drive a hansom cab, in case he needed it for a case/persona, and don't see modern Holmes as any different.  (although I probably still wouldn't quite trust him with something like cooking, though…  )

(Hey! Keeping it on track with a picture…  ;P  ;))
"Hmmm…  Hydrogen…  another Hydrogen….  a little bit of this….  there…  spaghetti sauce should be perfect….."
(I love his face in this one)   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

October 31, 2013 5:29 pm  #1635

"You look sad... when you think he can't see you..."

Yes, that's all I can think about when I see this pic...

October 31, 2013 5:47 pm  #1636

I could see Sherlock getting interested in cooking something, after all it is just a different type of chemistry.  However, I can also see him getting distracted in the middle of it and getting "creative" with the recipe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 31, 2013 6:19 pm  #1637

ancientsgate wrote:

kittykat wrote:

I like this, when they infiltrate Baskerville 

I know no one here wants me to mention the car, so don't bother with the "is there a car?" comments in response *smile*, but that is one hot Land Rover. But anyway, what surprised me the first time I saw that ep was that Sherlock drove. Or that John didn't. Whichever.

All the discussion about Sherlock driving the Land Rover in Hounds made me think of this song.  Just play and think of Sherlock in the driver's seat) with John at his side.

And AG, perhaps it will remind you if a certain little fan fic you were kind enough to beta!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 31, 2013 7:02 pm  #1638

tonnaree wrote:

I could see Sherlock getting interested in cooking something, after all it is just a different type of chemistry.  However, I can also see him getting distracted in the middle of it and getting "creative" with the recipe.

My point exactly.  "But it's supposed to taste good, John!  The chemicals in those foods logically fit together!"     

November 1, 2013 9:43 am  #1639

November 1, 2013 11:54 am  #1640

kittykat wrote:

Sherlock looks a little mesmerized there...

-------------------------------------------------------

Board footera