BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2013 4:47 pm  #1

Moriarty's Death

I was just wondering about Moriarty's death, because if Sherlock faked his death, why can't Moriarty? Sherlock wasn't looking straight at him when he shot the gun, so maybe he shot it behind him. Moriarty reaches to the back of his head before he shot, so he could have been tearing a blood packet open. He probably knew he would have to fake his death in order for Sherlock to jump, so he could have put one on earlier. Do you guys think this might be true, or is this just me making it all up because I want Moriarty to still be a character in series three?

Last edited by OneMoreMiracle (July 22, 2013 4:48 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

July 22, 2013 4:51 pm  #2

Re: Moriarty's Death

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

I was just wondering about Moriarty's death, because if Sherlock faked his death, why can't Moriarty? Sherlock wasn't looking straight at him when he shot the gun, so maybe he shot it behind him. Moriarty reaches to the back of his head before he shot, so he could have been tearing a blood packet open. He probably knew he would have to fake his death in order for Sherlock to jump, so he could have put one on earlier. Do you guys think this might be true, or is this just me making it all up because I want Moriarty to still be a character in series three?

Then what's the point of the entire episode?

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 22, 2013 4:57 pm  #3

They would hardly fake suicide at each other. So sayeth Steven Moffat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 22, 2013 5:06 pm  #4

Yeah, this is probably me just wanting to have Andrew Scott still be in 'Sherlock'. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not a hero. I'm a high functioning sociapath! MERRY CHRISTMAS!"

~Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

"Hello, little brother. Enjoying your exile?"

"I've only been gone four minutes!"

~Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes, His Last Vow

July 22, 2013 5:13 pm  #5

OneMoreMiracle wrote:

Yeah, this is probably me just wanting to have Andrew Scott still be in 'Sherlock'. ;)

I feel like it would overdo it.  He pulled the strings for two series...let someone else do something now.  Otherwise, it would ruin TRF and it would get old.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 22, 2013 6:44 pm  #6

To say it with a headline in TRF:

For good, I presume.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 22, 2013 8:16 pm  #7

Huh? Where do you got that from? Never seen this before.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 22, 2013 8:25 pm  #8

Mary Me wrote:

I think it's from TRF after he's been found not guilty. There's another article about Sherlock straight after it x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 22, 2013 8:28 pm  #9

Mary Me wrote:

It's one of the headlines from newspaper articles shown after the teaparty in 221b in TRF.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 22, 2013 8:31 pm  #10

Oh, that seems possible. Okay, it's clear to me now, thanks. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

July 22, 2013 9:15 pm  #11

Moriarty's survival (much though I LOVE Andrew Scott) would be so against everything that is canon I just really, honestly cannot see it happening. We may see glimpses of what else he was involved in.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 22, 2013 9:41 pm  #12

I'm not familiar with the canon, so correct me if I'm wrong...

Wasn't Sebastian Moran his second in command? Maybe he'll turn up?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

July 22, 2013 11:44 pm  #13

I agree that they will stick pretty close to canon. I'm sure we'll see a bit of Andrew Scott in the form of Sherlock explaining what happened but that's it. Which is a shame because he played Moriarty so well but it's canon.
I'm sure I read something said by maybe Gatiss explaining why they cut away as he pulled the trigger (which is I think the main reason for the Moriarty is alive theory). He said that they could hardly show a guy blowing his brains out at the time it's aired.

================================================================

July 23, 2013 7:55 pm  #14

We do see him put the gun in his mouth though. The rest is obvious without seeing his brains all over the place.

Anyway, I seriously doubt they would do such a massive departure from the canon. I know they like to twist and change the stories, but they always keep the essence and the truth of them there, that's what makes it such a good adaptation, for me.

Also the same reason I don't think they'll bring Irene back.

There's a good chance of catching a glimpse of Sebastian Moran as he does feature prominently in The Empty House story (great story, you should read it if you get chance). He is, however, only in that one story and gets arrested at the end.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 23, 2013 8:00 pm  #15

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

We do see him put the gun in his mouth though. The rest is obvious without seeing his brains all over the place.

Anyway, I seriously doubt they would do such a massive departure from the canon. I know they like to twist and change the stories, but they always keep the essence and the truth of them there, that's what makes it such a good adaptation, for me.

Also the same reason I don't think they'll bring Irene back.

There's a good chance of catching a glimpse of Sebastian Moran as he does feature prominently in The Empty House story (great story, you should read it if you get chance). He is, however, only in that one story and gets arrested at the end.

Actually, there is a piece of brain in the blood coming out of his head...about the most gore we ever see in that show.

July 25, 2013 9:19 am  #16

Like Steven said: "He shot himself through the brain, you don’t get back from that. In the original stories Moriarty dies. Look he shot himself in the face what more do you want?! Do you think they went on that rooftop and faked suicide on each other? What a waste of a scene: ‘I’ll fake it’..’No I’ll  fake it…’”

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 23, 2013 4:21 pm  #17

Proof: He isn't dead!!! (Or he's in hell. More likely perhaps. *shrugs*)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AcJYbi13Zg

(Andrew Scott Birthday thank you video)

Last edited by Mattlocked (October 23, 2013 4:23 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 23, 2013 4:26 pm  #18

Oh man, he's cute, he's shy, he's so not Moriarty!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 23, 2013 4:31 pm  #19

Well, take a look at the comments then:

Moriarty is so good in playing Richard Brook who's actually playing Andrew Scott.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 28, 2013 6:12 pm  #20

It is amazing that someone who performs so well is actually so shy.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera