BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2013 5:57 am  #1

This is my fav episode and I wanted to share a few thoughts

Ah, The Reichenbach Fall. My absolute favorite episode in the Sherlock Series. I don’t think I have ever been so emotionally devastated by a television show in my life then when I was watching this episode.

It’s not Sherlock’s fall that tears me up inside, its John’s reaction to his fall that does it.

When we first meet John he is a broken and lost man. He feels he no longer has a purpose. Then he meets Sherlock and voila! he has purpose again. And as the series continues we see the relationship between these two blossom into something that is just… well… perfect. In the end John cares about Sherlock more than anything else in the world. Sherlock *IS* John’s world. Without Sherlock John is back to having no purpose. He is once again floating through life lost and broken.

John doesn’t just watch his best friend jump from the roof, he watches his world jump from the roof. Everything that matters to John has just vanished. And it’s Martin Freeman’s performance of this that rips my heart out. John’s reaction is so utterly heartbreaking. No matter how many times I have seen this scene I still cry, every time, because of John. I just want to take him into my arms and tell him that it’s ok, that Sherlock will be back. *wipes away a tear* Man, I can’t even write about this scene without getting all teary eyed.

Even if you are not a Johnlock shipper, you can’t deny that these two love each other. But I find it impossible that someone could watch TRF and not come out of it thinking that they just watched a tragic love story. They have a love for one another that beats out every other love story on the planet.
When Sherlock says “nobody could be that clever” and John instantly responds with “you could” - for me, personally, this is John saying “I love you.” And that laugh Sherlock does right after John says that is like a light bulb going off in Sherlock’s head. It’s Sherlock understanding right then and there that not only does John love him, but that he loves John. Such a beautiful moment to have right before such a devastating event.

The writing/acting/directing of this episode is the best I have ever seen. Nothing compares to TRF. Nothing ever will. I believe in Sherlock Holmes. Now and forever. Don’t worry John, he’ll be back soon. Roll on series three!

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

October 22, 2013 3:46 pm  #2

Re: This is my fav episode and I wanted to share a few thoughts

Couldn't agree more, Neptune. It was TRF that turned me into a helpless "sherlocked" fan. 

October 22, 2013 5:10 pm  #3

miriel68 wrote:

Couldn't agree more, Neptune. It was TRF that turned me into a helpless "sherlocked" fan. 

I'll always be helpless when it comes to Sherlock. lol

October 31, 2013 1:28 am  #4

There are a lot of clues written into  this episode that I've been searching for.  One of them is the way JM searches Sherlock's face just before JM "shoots" himself.  (I don't think he's dead either.)  Something about Sherlock's pupils?

October 31, 2013 1:39 am  #5

nsmom wrote:

There are a lot of clues written into  this episode that I've been searching for.  One of them is the way JM searches Sherlock's face just before JM "shoots" himself.  (I don't think he's dead either.)  Something about Sherlock's pupils?

He's dead. D-E-A-D dead. To quote the Moftiss "He shot himself in the face! What more do you want?"

October 31, 2013 8:15 am  #6

I certainly hope he is dead! It would be a bit annoying to have TWO resurrections  (not to say that it would make look Sherlock stupid to fall for the trick)  so I am glad Moftiss confirmed it.

October 31, 2013 1:13 pm  #7

Much as I love Andrew Scott's Moriarty, he's dead.  I wonder if we'll ever have any flashbacks?

Looking forward to seeing how our new villian plays out this series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 6, 2013 9:02 pm  #8

Neptune Centari wrote:

Ah, The Reichenbach Fall. My absolute favorite episode in the Sherlock Series. I don’t think I have ever been so emotionally devastated by a television show in my life then when I was watching this episode.

It’s not Sherlock’s fall that tears me up inside, its John’s reaction to his fall that does it.

Me too.

When we first meet John he is a broken and lost man. He feels he no longer has a purpose. Then he meets Sherlock and voila! he has purpose again. And as the series continues we see the relationship between these two blossom into something that is just… well… perfect. In the end John cares about Sherlock more than anything else in the world. Sherlock *IS* John’s world. Without Sherlock John is back to having no purpose. He is once again floating through life lost and broken.

John doesn’t just watch his best friend jump from the roof, he watches his world jump from the roof. Everything that matters to John has just vanished. And it’s Martin Freeman’s performance of this that rips my heart out. John’s reaction is so utterly heartbreaking. No matter how many times I have seen this scene I still cry, every time, because of John. I just want to take him into my arms and tell him that it’s ok, that Sherlock will be back. *wipes away a tear* Man, I can’t even write about this scene without getting all teary eyed.

I tell you Martin's acting at the end of TRF is the reason why he edges out Benedict and Andrew Scott for most brilliant. He utterly tore my heart out and I cry every time I watch the very ending. Oh I cry at the scene where Sherlock jumps and during their conversation but the tears really don't come until John is standing at Sherlock's grave alone and he is asking for one more miracle from his best friend. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to step into the scene, and just hug John and then walk across the graveyard to smack Sherlock upside the head and say "How could you hurt him like this?!!" I know why Sherlock has done what he's done but seeing John that hurt is just utterly heartbreaking!

Even if you are not a Johnlock shipper, you can’t deny that these two love each other. But I find it impossible that someone could watch TRF and not come out of it thinking that they just watched a tragic love story. They have a love for one another that beats out every other love story on the planet.

When Sherlock says “nobody could be that clever” and John instantly responds with “you could” - for me, personally, this is John saying “I love you.” And that laugh Sherlock does right after John says that is like a light bulb going off in Sherlock’s head. It’s Sherlock understanding right then and there that not only does John love him, but that he loves John. Such a beautiful moment to have right before such a devastating event.

I am not a Johnlock shipper in the sense of the word in that I think the love between them is romantic but rather for me it goes deeper. I believe it's possible to love someone profoundly but it does not have to be in a romance way. I also think it's possible for someone to have a soulmate who isn't also the romantic love of their life.

This is how I see Sherlock and John.

The writing/acting/directing of this episode is the best I have ever seen. Nothing compares to TRF. Nothing ever will. I believe in Sherlock Holmes. Now and forever. Don’t worry John, he’ll be back soon. Roll on series three!

The writing/acting is just beyond brilliant in this episode in every sense of the word and the three main parts (Sherlock, John, Moriarty) were all so brilliant and breathtakingly played!

"Just once, can you two behave like grownups?"
"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants so I wouldn't hold out too much hope." - Mycroft Holmes and John Watson, Sherlock, A Scandal in Belgravia, Season 2

"Well, Mr. Holmes. I’ve seen you handle a good many cases in my time but I don’t know that I ever knew a more workman like one than this. We’re not jealous of you, you know, at Scotland Yard. No, sir, we’re proud of you. And if you come down tomorrow there’s not a man from the oldest inspector to the youngest constable, who wouldn’t be glad to shake you by the hand." - Inspector Lestrade, The Six Napoleons

Board footera