BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2013 4:45 am  #1

Random thoughts. Would love to get some feedback on these!

Not really sure where to post this, hopefully this is an ok spot.

This is just a post of a bunch of random thoughts I’ve had here and there. I would love to read some feedback and opinions on these thoughts. Don’t be shy!

Ok, here goes.

Everyone seems to be so focused on “How did Sherlock fake his death.” I admit I too would love to know the final answer to this, but more importantly I am dying to know more about what John has been doing since Sherlock “died”.

John of course never once faltered in his faith in Sherlock, and I can’t imagine that even after Sherlock “died” he would sit idly around and let the world go on believing Sherlock was a fraud. The John I have come to know and love would do something! Or at least try. Thoughts?

This leads me into my next thought: What about Moriarty’s body on the roof? Surely someone would have discovered it? There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Mycroft would have been this person. He gave Moriarty the “perfect ammunition to destroy Sherlock”, therefore I can only assume that his guilt in this matter would drive him to help Sherlock in any way he could. But would he use the body to help clear Sherlock’s name? Would Mycroft, or even Lestrade try to help John in his quest to clear his name? Would clearing his name to the public put John, Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson in danger all over again?

I have also read over and over that people seem to think that Moriarty also faked his death. I disagree with this for one simple reason: Moriarty is INSANE! (No, I’m not just getting that now, lol) Moriarty is so obsessed with destroying Sherlock that he would indeed kill himself if he thought it meant that he would win. He’s dead. Period. I do however think that Moriarty’s spider web stretches far and wide and he will have an indirect part in the forthcoming season(s).  What are your thoughts on this? (I would like to quickly add that even though I know beyond any doubt that Moriarty is dead, it makes me sad. Andrew Scott was fantastic as Moriarty and the “fun” him and Sherlock could have continued to have would have been great.)

Something else that bugs me is the fact that they didn’t show some kind of funeral for Sherlock. John and Mrs. Hudson are the only ones shown to visit his grave. Despite the fact that we see Lestrade being pulled down into the pit of doubt by his coworkers, I don’t believe for a second that Lestrade actually believed Sherlock was capable of doing what they claimed. Sherlock may never have given it any thought but Lestrade is very much Sherlock’s friend. I believe he does finally acknowledge this fact on the roof with Moriarty when he mentions him in the list of people Moriarty is targeting. So why then don’t we see him at the grave as well? Are they implying that Lestrade truly believes all the B.S.? Again, would love your thoughts on this.

Speaking of Lestrade I want to mention a very subtle, yet powerful display of Lestrade’s trust and confidence in Sherlock that never seems to get mentioned or even noticed! In TRF when they are looking for the kids they are in the police station and Sherlock is working out where they are being held. As soon as Sherlock says “Addlestone” (God I hope that’s the right location name, I can’t quite recall it perfectly… I’m ashamed!) Lestrade immediately jumps up to go, and tells his people to come on, and even says it more firmly a second time when they hesitate. Lestrade doesn’t hesitate for even a second. The moment Sherlock tells him the answer he springs into action. This scene is very fast, very intense, and we are more focused on Sherlock’s wonderfully portrayed computer brain, then the profound display of Lestrade’s faith and trust in Sherlock. If there was ever a doubt to Lestrade’s friendship with Sherlock, this scene erases it.

Ok, here is another thought that has been rattling around in my brain for a while and I wonder what y’alls thoughts are on it. This is about the part in TRF when Sherlock and John are at Kitty’s apartment and Moriarty walks in. In my opinion there is only one reason for this scene. I feel this whole scene is where Moriarty has his best attempt at personally planting a seed of doubt into John’s mind. I think this whole scene is just for John. Moriarty can’t possibly burn the heart out of Sherlock unless he can make John doubt him as well. I love this scene because the more frustrated John gets, the more pissed of Sherlock becomes. Sherlock knows in this moment that this is an attempt to make John SPECIFCALLY doubt Sherlock.  what do you guys think?

Alright, this post is probably long enough now. Sorry for all the random thoughts. I can’t wait to read some thoughts and opinion on this.

Cheers,

Neptune

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

October 22, 2013 5:05 am  #2

Re: Random thoughts. Would love to get some feedback on these!

Neptune Centari wrote:

This is about the part in TRF when Sherlock and John are at Kitty’s apartment and Moriarty walks in. In my opinion there is only one reason for this scene. I feel this whole scene is where Moriarty has his best attempt at personally planting a seed of doubt into John’s mind. I think this whole scene is just for John. Moriarty can’t possibly burn the heart out of Sherlock unless he can make John doubt him as well. I love this scene because the more frustrated John gets, the more pissed of Sherlock becomes. Sherlock knows in this moment that this is an attempt to make John SPECIFCALLY doubt Sherlock.  what do you guys think?

I have always assumed the same - Moriarty predicted that they will go on the run together, and seeking out Kitty was a reasonable assumption. Moriarty would then orchestra the somewhat perplexing confrontation to rattle Sherlock and John, albeit in different ways. John not quite 'getting it' and Sherlock getting frustrated at John for exactly that...

October 22, 2013 1:07 pm  #3

Interesting questions.  (Welcome to the forum where I've found intresting questions to be quite delightfully the norm...)

On a funeral:  The show honors the original stories very much and there's no funeral in the original. In the author's mind, he really had killed Sherlock at the Falls and wanted to be finished with the series.  But like many popular authors, his fans demanded more, so ACD restarted the story with no fanfare about a funeral, or John's life in the interim, or much of a reunion scene.  

Also, the show's writers knew they were going to show us that Sherlock wasn't really dead before the end of the episode.  They wanted all the emotion of the episode to be focused on the "suicide,"  then they switch to John's point of view in the brief graveside scene.  That way, when the camera pulls back to reveal Sherlock in the distance, we viewers still have some feelings left to absorb the punch from that revelation.  If they'd put in a funeral, the emotional timing wouldn't work.  

M: Tradition, John. Our traditions define us.

Harry: ...And Mr. Holmes, the younger.  You look taller in your photographs.
SH: I take the precaution of a good coat and a short friend.

October 22, 2013 5:05 pm  #4

Swanpride wrote:

I think a lot of aspects are kept in the dark delivertaly...like what happened to Moriarties body, and how many people were still on Sherlock side during the funeral (if there even was a big one, perhaps it was family (read: Mycroft) only). Nevermind that the emotional impact was bigger this way.
I don't really want to discuss a lot of those aspects yet, because I guess most of the questions will be answered in the next episode.
But yes, I think the display in the apartment was only partly for Kitty and mostly for John. Making John doubt Sherlock would have been Moriarty's biggest triumph. No dice there, though, and I guess Moriarty wasn't too suprised.

What gets me is that later in the episode when they are back at the flat Sherlock actually believes, even if only for a moment, that John might actually buy into the story. After EVERYTHING they have gone through, after EVERYTHING John had done for him he still actually entertained the idea that John might buy all the b.s. I know John doesn't 'rage' but I seriously would have lost my temper at Sherlock in that moment.

----------------------------------------------------------
You're on the canon ground, I'm up in crack ship space
Let's start a shipping war, don't care if I get hate.
Don't like my pairings, well, then you can hit the bricks.
This is my OTP, I'll go down with this ship!

Board footera