BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2013 5:59 pm  #1

Hello, I'm Anna. *tentative wave*

The name's Anna, and I'm a BBC Sherlock-holic (insert "obviously" here in a Sherlock-sneer).  I live in Arizona, but would move to London in a heartbeat if the UK Border Agency could be convinced of the merit of my plan.   Instead, I just visit once or twice a year.  If anyone has any clever suggestions of legal and at least quasi-practical ways to move to the UK, feel free to chime in.  Will happily do anything up to and including selling my spare kidney.  Clearly, my definition of "practical" is rather generous.

Other random likes: Horrible Histories, QI, fan conventions, costuming, museums (would live in the V&A if I could), theatre, reading, Peter Gabriel, Terry Pratchett, Jane Austen, Frances Hardinge (FYI, if you aren't familiar with Frances Hardinge, her writing is sort of like a cross between Terry Pratchett and Susanna Clarke of Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell fame, and she's a lovely person in the bargain).  Quite fond of Benedict Cumberbatch in almost any role.  Tom Hiddleston is growing on me.  Cabin Pressure made me sit up and take notice of Roger Allam (wish I could see him in The Tempest this summer).  Basically, I'm a sucker for a lovely voice and a witty quip.  Also a sucker for a really good sticky toffee pudding.

I was lucky enough to watch The Batch live in Frankenstein (both roles) and recording an episode of Cabin Pressure, and saw Mark Gatiss in 55 Days.  Also attended the hilarious Sherlock panel at the Criterion theatre. Hoping to see Gatiss and Hiddleston in Coriolanus this winter, if I can snag a ticket.  Also have plans to attend Armadacon (Frances Hardinge will be guest of honor) and the regrettably-named but nonetheless exciting "Elementary" convention in celebration of BBC Sherlock sponsored by Starfury. Methinks I will be costuming as Christmas Glamour Fail Molly and perhaps Jennifer Wilson (dead pink lady), plastered with Sherlockian deduction tags.  Anyone else attending?

Look forward to chatting with all of you.  

Anna M.C.

Last edited by annamc (April 18, 2014 2:37 am)

---------------------------------------------------------

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

May 26, 2013 6:07 pm  #2

Re: Hello, I'm Anna. *tentative wave*

Hello and welcome to the forum! What a wonderful intro. The kidney bit made me laugh aloud!  The V&A is just wonderful isn't it, especially the costume galleries (although I also have a soft spot for the porcelain).. I haven't read Frances Hardinge but your description has made her sound really appealing, so I'll give it a go once  I have finished all 5 volumes of The Game of Thrones.

I missed Bendict and Johnny in Frankenstein but I am determined to see Tom in Coriolanus! Don't forget the silver present bow if you are going as Molly to the convention.

Nice to make your (virtual) acquaintance. Hope to see you around soon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 26, 2013 6:09 pm  #3

Welcome, Anna MC, what a nice and comprehensive introduction. This is the right place for a hardcore fan like you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 26, 2013 6:09 pm  #4

Hi Anna, nice to have you with us now 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 26, 2013 6:10 pm  #5

Hello and welcome to the forum, Anna!

I hope you have a beautiful time here. Make yourself at home. Kettle's just boiled. 

Greetings from Germany,
Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 26, 2013 6:19 pm  #6

Like others have said already, indeed that's a wonderful intro and welcome to the forum!  Hope you have fun here with us fellow Sherlock fans, a few, or maybe not so few (hehe), bordering on the obsessed! 

-------------------------------------------------------

May 26, 2013 6:57 pm  #7

Wow, Your intro was amazing.
Have a good time here.
Cheers.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

May 26, 2013 7:01 pm  #8

Goodness, I feel so loved. :D  Thanks very much for the warm welcome, everyone.  As for the tea, don't mind if I do.

The costume gallery, the jewelry gallery (love the shiny!), and the British galleries of the V&A consume a disproportionate amount of my time during each visit to London.  Please do give Frances Hardinge a try.  She's brilliant, as Arthur would say.

I costumed as Christmas Glamour Fail Molly once already for a fandom party in London last Halloween, so that costume's already finished right down to the silver present hair bow and the gift box (which contained a gruesomely convincing latex replica of a human heart.  What more symbolic and socially inappropriate gift could a pathologist possibly give Sherlock?).  I should probably get another gift box, though, since the last one got all crunched up on the plane trip home.  One wonders what airport security made of the "gift" when they examined my luggage X-rays.  No wonder the UK border agency doesn't want me moving there. My name is doubtless on some worrying list now. ;-)

Anna M.C.

Will happily pay the annual license fee for legal US iPlayer access. BBC lawyers, *please* take my money.

May 27, 2013 3:28 pm  #9

Welcome Anna! Nice the meet you ^^

---------------------------------------------------------------
Wise men talk because they've got something to say, fools because they have to say something ~ Plato

June 1, 2013 12:52 am  #10

Hi Anna, welcome to the boards.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 3, 2013 6:36 pm  #11

Basically, you need to marry someone who lives in the UK. That's your way in, for sure! I hear there's someone called Benedict Cumberbatch currently available, weird name, I know, but ah what the heck...

Welcome to the forum!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 7, 2013 3:37 pm  #12

Howdy, Anna, from the East Coast!

Glad to see another American.

Have fun!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

October 13, 2013 1:23 am  #13

I just realized I missed the last few replies to this somehow.  Sorry!  Anyway, thanks for the additional welcomes.  

Soon I will be visiting London again! Yaaaaay! *Kermitflailing*

Anna M.C.

October 13, 2013 1:31 am  #14

Welcome, Anna! I love your costume ideas.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"I had a dream of a winter garden
A midnight rendezvous
Silver, blue, and frozen silence
What a fool I was for you!"

October 13, 2013 1:51 am  #15

Thank you!  Jennifer Wilson has fallen by the wayside for various reasons, but I have improved upon the Molly costume.  Here's hoping the convention actually happens!

Anna M.C.

October 13, 2013 2:09 am  #16

Hello and welcome!

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 13, 2013 7:43 am  #17

Welcome, lovely.  Good to have you.

"His name is Joshua.  It's from the Bible.  It means deliverance."

"No it isn't."

*curious look*

"I speak Horse.  His name is Susan, and he'd like you to accept his life choices."

Board footera