BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2012 3:13 am  #161

Re: Emmy Awards

Well, one final comment from The New York Times:

MIKE HALE: It was certainly good for the Emmys that the drama awards were split as widely as they were and that “Mad Men" didn’t win for a fifth straight year. What I’ll really remember, I think, were the trio of out-of-left-field acting winners — Jon Cryer, Tom Berenger and Kevin Costner — demonstrating that there’s always a place at the Emmys for mediocrity that draws surprisingly high ratings among young men.

So it looks like he thinks Tom Berenger and Kevin Costner didn't deserve to win.  Interesting.

Next year it'll be Martin and Ben's turns!!!

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (September 24, 2012 3:14 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 24, 2012 3:18 am  #162

Yes, next year! They will be bigger names after their blockbusters come out. And I bet Sherlock will get bigger here with Season 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 24, 2012 3:19 am  #163

Highly disappointed, but there's always next year.  And it was absolutely thrilling to be on Benedict-and-Martin-watch all night!  My husband was laughing at me, but it was so cool to see them on TV!  I've never seen them on before - I watched Sherlock on DVD and really the only time I've seen Ben on TV was when they play Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy on the movie channels.  Now that the show's over I can transfer my TiVo recording to my computer and get some higher quality stills instead of pics taken with my digital camera, haha.

September 24, 2012 3:45 am  #164

I didn't expect Martin and Ben to win - this was all for getting America  becoming familiar with their names. Next year hopefully a survey like "What is a Cumberbatch?" will be superfluos - in view of Star Trek and The Hobbit.
Funnily enough, my stream of the show, which had been working reliably for hours, froze the moment the "Best actor" category was announced...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 24, 2012 3:56 am  #165

I'm devastated that neither of out boys won, but not really surprised. Anyway, there is always next year and many years after for BAFTAs, Emmys, Oscars, etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 24, 2012 4:04 am  #166

Pic of the napkin-on-sweaty-forehead incident...

September 24, 2012 4:06 am  #167

One word---   Disappointed!!   And was that Martin   and Amanda  sitting behind him?  ooohh  and that napkin on his forehead--  was he gonna faint?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (September 24, 2012 4:07 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 24, 2012 4:12 am  #168

Haha, too funny

September 24, 2012 4:14 am  #169

Is the napkin photo from the Emmys? Maybe he forgot his sunnies and needed to shade his lovely eyes. What a dork 

Do we know who his date was? Or who was sitting beside him? And was that Amanda sitting beside Martin? Hard to tell from the photos I've seen.

Last edited by hepzibah (September 24, 2012 4:17 am)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 24, 2012 4:17 am  #170

It's no wonder Sherlock didn't win...based on the pics supplied for the noms  for scandal, (Thank you, sherlockedkt!!  ) they chose the wrong scenes to submit.   And SHERLOCK  is not a  mini-series--  it's a series,  that's my opinion.   the big ones that won on HBO--  those are SERIES...and I  don't even GET or WATCH   HBO,  so  why were they the big winners this year?  Here's hoping TPTB  behind Sherlock will wise up  and give us more episodes per season, to sink our teeth into.

Last edited by sherlockskitty (September 24, 2012 4:18 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 24, 2012 4:44 am  #171

Sam wrote:

I mean, chances were low because he's the underdog......but still!

I actually got my hopes up when Cumberbatch was apparently listed as the favorite over at the Gold Derby and MetaCritic sites (at least that is what someone had posted on another board).

Highly disappointed, but there's always next year.

Well, probably 2 more years before anything Sherlock-related could ever be nominated, right?  If new episodes of the show will not air until after the Emmy eligibility period closes (sometime in May or June), then it won't be eligible for next year's Emmy awards.

September 24, 2012 4:47 am  #172

hepzibah wrote:

Is the napkin photo from the Emmys? Maybe he forgot his sunnies and needed to shade his lovely eyes. What a dork 

Do we know who his date was? Or who was sitting beside him? And was that Amanda sitting beside Martin? Hard to tell from the photos I've seen.

Yeah, from the red carpet. It was so hot that he was sweating a lot and kept wiping his head. At one point he just stuck the napkins on for a laugh.

September 24, 2012 4:50 am  #173

September 24, 2012 4:53 am  #174

Poor baby must have found the Los Angeles heat too much for his delicate English constitution LOL

Maybe he will be there next year to pick up his Emmy for Parade's End.

FREE PUSSY RIOT

#destroythejoint

September 24, 2012 5:08 am  #175

What I've been wondering this whole time is why ASiB was the episode they submitted for consideration?? It has its moments, but IMO Baskerville and TRF are both stronger eps, and more gripping. *shrugs*

Better luck next series I suppose.

September 24, 2012 5:22 am  #176

Sariele wrote:

What I've been wondering this whole time is why ASiB was the episode they submitted for consideration?? It has its moments, but IMO Baskerville and TRF are both stronger eps, and more gripping. *shrugs*

My primary guess would be because Moffat himself had the writing credit for that episode.  As showrunner, he was probably partial to submitting the episode for which he himself would earn a writing award (given that all things being equal, the mainstream critics' reviews of the episode were pretty positive, and it was therefore not illogical to submit it).

From a strictly writing perspectively, I also think that there is an argument to be made that it was the best submission.  There were loads of sharp one-liners and conversations in that episode (moreso than the other two), and the direction in the episode was superb, making it look probably the most sleek and polished of the three episodes.  And it was a good standalone movie episode, versus TRF, which ends on an unresolved cliffhanger.  I agree with you, though, insofar as I prefer TRF, and I think from an acting perspective, that would have given Cumberbatch and Freeman better shots at winning.  I mean, tear-filled death scene?  That's gold.

Last edited by LaconicLurker (September 24, 2012 5:24 am)

September 24, 2012 7:12 am  #177

I concur that Scandal was the best episode to submit due to its sharp editing and dialgue, and am stunned it didn't receive any awards.

Anyway, this is stolen from tumblr but so good:

"You... You told me once... That you weren't an Emmy winner. Umm... There are times I don't even know how that's possible, but let me tell you this. You are the best series, the most clever... Cleverly brilliant thing that I've ever watched and no one will ever convince me that you didn't deserve it, and so... There. I was so disappointed... Still, I love you so much. But please, there's just one more thing, one more thing, one more favor, Sherlock cast and crew, for me, don't be... Sad. Would you do that just for me? Just celebrate it. Celebrate the nominations."

September 24, 2012 7:15 am  #178

0 of 13 Emmys, not a surprise really, it's the Emmy! Nevertheless I'm disappointed. Maybe I'm ungrateful, but if you got 13 nominees there should be at least one award to win. Good that I couldn't watch it.

Who was that woman next to Martin, definitely not Amanda!

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

They just bleeped Jon Stewart in his acceptance speech!  You could still figure out what he said, though.  OMG it wasn't. 

Really, I love Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, too.

Sam wrote:

Mark

Doesn't work Sam.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 24, 2012 7:32 am  #179

The Doctor wrote:

I concur that Scandal was the best episode to submit due to its sharp editing and dialgue, and am stunned it didn't receive any awards.

Anyway, this is stolen from tumblr but so good:

"You... You told me once... That you weren't an Emmy winner. Umm... There are times I don't even know how that's possible, but let me tell you this. You are the best series, the most clever... Cleverly brilliant thing that I've ever watched and no one will ever convince me that you didn't deserve it, and so... There. I was so disappointed... Still, I love you so much. But please, there's just one more thing, one more thing, one more favor, Sherlock cast and crew, for me, don't be... Sad. Would you do that just for me? Just celebrate it. Celebrate the nominations."

I love that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2012 7:40 am  #180

Shame there were no wins for Sherlock although being nominated was a great accolade in itself. Perhaps the Emmys should have a section specifically for non-American shows etc. So much of what goes on with the voting is 'political' and Steven Moffat for one has few friends in the industry the other side of the pond.

As for the napkin on the forehead... Oh Lord! That is really not a good look but at least he didn't tie knots in the four corners of his hankie and put it on his head.

Martin often wears sunglasses doesn't he. I prefer these to the outlandish round mod ones he's been photographed wearing before.

Last edited by Davina (September 24, 2012 7:40 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera