BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2012 8:12 am  #181

Re: Emmy Awards

Godtiss, Beryl Vertue and a part of Moffs head. Could be Paul McGuigan behind Mark?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 24, 2012 8:18 am  #182

@Davina: there are, they are called International Emmy Awards, but nobody cares about them

----------

September 24, 2012 8:22 am  #183

Color me disappointed but not surprised.

Was it just me, or did they barely show any Sherlock footage? Lots and lots of long, sweeping vistas of the Hatfield and McCoys dudes, riding through the Romanian fields on their horses and shooting each other, etc, but for one of the categories (Ben's? the show's? I forget which), the only footage was a super-close-up view of Sherlock sniffing up Irene's wrist, "I took your pulse...."  Huh.

Kevin Costner can eat my shorts. And is he kind of whiny, or is it me again??

September 24, 2012 8:29 am  #184

Wholocked wrote:

And people wondered why the international expectation was that most, if not all, awards would go to American produced shows....

People make disparaging remarks about that, but I wonder about the BAFTAs--  aren't they overwhelmingly Brit-run, nommed and awarded? Isn't that the point, that different countries and their entertainment entities have their own award shows? I'm honestly asking, because I don't know.

I personally had never even heard of the BAFTAs until Jack Gyllenhaal won one for Brokeback Mountain, back in 2005-2006, in there somewhere. But again, aren't most of those nommed for BAFTAs and who win from the UK?

September 24, 2012 8:37 am  #185

sherlockskitty wrote:

It's no wonder Sherlock didn't win...based on the pics supplied for the noms  for scandal, (Thank you, sherlockedkt!!  ) they chose the wrong scenes to submit

I agree. IMO A Study in Pink would have been a better ep to submit than Belgravia anyway. But Belgravia had a giiiiiiiirl (hear the sarcasm) and proved that Sherlock is straaaaaiiiiiight (more sarcasm), and you must have a giiiiiiiiirl in all dramatic shows; everyone knows that. *rolls eyes*

...the big ones that won on HBO... I  don't even GET or WATCH   HBO,  so  why were they the big winners this year? ....

HBO is always a big deal Emmy winner. I don't get that channel either, so I've never seen all of their first-run series. Back in the days of The Sopranos, for instance, HBO could do no wrong as far as the Emmys were concerned.

I don't get Showtime either, so have never seen that dreary, bloody-looking thing they had nommed either, the military/veteran thing, I forget the name, Homebound of something like that.

September 24, 2012 8:40 am  #186

hepzibah wrote:

Poor baby must have found the Los Angeles heat too much for his delicate English constitution LOL

Actually the heat was no laughing matter. The ABC dudes and dudette on the red carpet were saying it had been 125F in LA that day, so no joke. Those guys coming in must have been *melting* under their tuxes.

Last edited by ancientsgate (September 24, 2012 8:46 am)

September 24, 2012 8:43 am  #187

The Doctor wrote:

Anyway, this is stolen from tumblr but so good:

"You... You told me once... That you weren't an Emmy winner. Umm... There are times I don't even know how that's possible, but let me tell you this. You are the best series, the most clever... Cleverly brilliant thing that I've ever watched and no one will ever convince me that you didn't deserve it, and so... There. I was so disappointed... Still, I love you so much. But please, there's just one more thing, one more thing, one more favor, Sherlock cast and crew, for me, don't be... Sad. Would you do that just for me? Just celebrate it. Celebrate the nominations."

*big smile*  How delightful!

September 24, 2012 9:23 am  #188

@ancientgate: I agree, it's that way at the Baftas and here in Germany at the "Deutscher Fernsehpreis" , too. No foreign shows. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but then they shouldn't nominate a non-American shows, or is there American money involved, so they see at as theirs, I don't know.

They actually have the International Emmy Awards for that. Maybe it's because it's English,  too. Foreign probably means foreign language.

By the way, Study in Pink couldn't be nominated, it was another season. It actually was nominated last year, for what...one or two awards?

Just saw Jon Stewarts part, he just said "f*cking", big problem in America. Come to Europe you can say lovely curse words here without being beeped.

----------

September 24, 2012 9:34 am  #189

Ivy wrote:

by the way, Study in Pink couldn't be nominated, it was another season. It actually was nominated last year, for what...one or two awards?

I thought it was strange that the show was nommed for "mini-series" but only one episode was submitted? I have no idea how the Emmys work-- maybe all the series did that, only submit one of the episodes from the season for consideration?

Just saw Jon Stewarts part, he just said "f*cking", big problem in America. Come to Europe you can say lovely curse words here without being beeped.

Jon Stewart is an a**. He apparently thought he needed some publicity, even if it was negative publicity. What a jerk. Everyone knows you can't say the F word on regular network TV in the US. You can say it on premium pay-for-view channels like HBO et al, but not on regular network TV, which still uses censors to protect our little virgin ears. Nowadays you can "use the Lord's name in vain" all up one side and down the other, and the sh** word seems to be creeping in to dialogue here and there, especially on the new original series that cable channels are now producing, but still no F word, not on the broadcast networks. They can say freaking and frelling and f'ing and stuff, but not the actual word. Stupid, huh.

September 24, 2012 9:43 am  #190

We'll never know how the Emmy s work 

I actually like Jon Stewart, I wouldn't control myself even I know it will be beeped. And if anyone don't needs publicity it's Jon Stewart, he and Stephen Colbert are my hope in America.

I always found the non-F word mentioning funny and totally weird, I mean to beep it makes the world a better place I'm sure.

----------

September 24, 2012 10:20 am  #191

It really shocked me when I realised that they started beeping in Germany as well. It's ridiculous.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2012 10:32 am  #192

Just wondering why they aren't up for International Emmy Awards then? Sherlock was produced and initially aired in the UK, not the US.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2012 10:50 am  #193

I agree that ASIB was a better submission than TRF.  Really perfect episode, can't get any better.  Of course TRF has more "feels" but as a stand-alone episode ASIB is better.  Anyway it was just good to see them on TV!

September 24, 2012 10:55 am  #194

I am so angry at the Emmy voters!

I let them have it over at huffington post:

"Sherlock is the wittiest, most creative show on television and Benedict Cumberbatch is to die for. It appears that Emmy voters are comprised of the same demographic that prefer safe, dumbed down mediocrity over sheer brilliance. And what was with all the hideous yellow dresses last night? "

Oh and this guy at New York Times website agrees with me:

From a NY Times commentary...

What I’ll really remember, I think, were the trio of out-of-left-field acting winners — Jon Cryer, Tom Berenger and Kevin Costner — demonstrating that there’s always a place at the Emmys for mediocrity that draws surprisingly high ratings among young men.

The real shame is that Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance in “Sherlock��  is something really distinctive and special.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

September 24, 2012 11:01 am  #195

My sentiments exactly.  But nice to hear from you, SP.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 24, 2012 11:04 am  #196

Thanks Susi! I miss you all I plan to post more as we go forward. Have been so frightfully busy at work (:

September 24, 2012 11:13 am  #197

SusiGo wrote:

It really shocked me when I realised that they started beeping in Germany as well. It's ridiculous.

Really, haven't realised yet. But I don't watch that much German TV, except for the news and some quiz shows.

----------

September 24, 2012 11:17 am  #198

Davina wrote:

Just wondering why they aren't up for International Emmy Awards then? Sherlock was produced and initially aired in the UK, not the US.

I think the Internationals are for all shows that you don't see in the USA. And Sherlock is PBS and other British stuff is usually on BBC America.

http://www.iemmys.tv/awards_nominees.aspx

----------

September 24, 2012 11:33 am  #199

September 24, 2012 11:56 am  #200

The Emmys are too ordinary for such a brilliant show like Sherlock anyway 

----------

Board footera