BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2012 10:44 pm  #81

Re: BAFTA'S MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Thanks for the blanket, briti! I think I'm gonna need it during the German dubbed Reichenbach episode tomorrow night...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 27, 2012 10:46 pm  #82

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh Irene! *hugs*
I think we've been watching a sort of absurd theatre tonight.

*hugs a lot*

Argh... it doesn't get better... but thanks for the blanket, Britigander. And yes, I keep thinking on Andrew, so thrilled and thankful and adorable. I'm very happy for him, you all know I am (I've been rooting for him since the very beginning).

We'll see what happens in 2014...

And I'm editing just to leave here our lovely Andrew's speech

Last edited by Irene_Adler (May 27, 2012 10:49 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 27, 2012 10:51 pm  #83

tobeornot221b wrote:

I'm gonna need it during the German dubbed Reichenbach episode tomorrow night...

Uh oh. I read your account of the Scandal episode
Sounded dire
Definitely. Hold.On.To.The.Shock.Blankets....
*bracing myself on your behalves*

Edited to add:
Thanks for the clip of Andrew!
He's so ...lovely.

Last edited by Britigander (May 27, 2012 10:54 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 11:06 pm  #84

Hold tight folks.

Whilst Benedict didn't get an award for tonight he is well loved and will fare well.

I remember Michael Caine getting his Bafta fellowship back in 2000 and whilst there is no video to go with it here's an article that gives you a nice idea of how cutting he was.

They don't always pick the best people (By a long shot) but there was recognition for Sherlock there (The host made sure that was known - gormless twit though).

There is corruption at the Baftas though which is evident in Sherlock's not winning the audience vote. Every indication was that it would blow away any chance of competition.

They were careful to exclude everyone from outside of the UK, but how scrutinising were they with their checking of votes from within the UK?

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 27, 2012 11:27 pm  #85

I am still interested to know just how important winning is for future jobs and money for this nominated programmes/actors etc. I mean,the nominated status is still a big deal, isn't it?
    Of course ardent fans for whatever reason/people who just enjoy this kind of quality programme, should be reflected fairly in peoples' vote settings but is anyone going to stop loving Sherlock because it didn't win, or is winning the reason why someone starts watching rather than 'becuase it's so good' recommendations?
   It's hard to be believe that luvvy duvvy BAFTA types can be biased against the programme or Benedict. He does,I guess, run the risk of not appearing LCD enough  - you know, the anti-so-called posh accent etc thing - to the general public(whoever they are). Is he also at risk a bit of the seen to be too successful and popular thing? (ironically)

Perhaps these subjects havealready been discussed to bits elsewhere on this board.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 11:35 pm  #86

OMG Andrew was so cute!!!! Love that guy
I think Sherlock is the first series' I've ever seen where I genuinely love the entire cast. There's not one of them that lets them down.

I think the audience vote thing was probably due to a) the fact that it was only open to within UK and b) many Sherlock fans probably wouldn't have bothered to vote, or necessarily even known it was open. We are a very different demographic from Celebrity Juice!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 27, 2012 11:46 pm  #87

Celebrity juice is watched by nitwits.

I feel safe saying this as no-one who would watch it would ever go online to research it or take an active interest in it.

How it managed to topple Sherlock given all the indicators is a genuine travesty to believing in democratic polls.

It lessens any other award by association and belittles the entirety of that one award as supposedly voted for by the 'people'.

I'd jail it and everyone associated with it (Or better yet cripple them).

-m0r

May 28, 2012 12:00 am  #88

Pfff, I just found this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/apr/19/bafta-tv-awards-audience-vote

I hadn't realised what had won last year,not that I've seen it (and probably not that I want to either?)

(I didn't leave the UK because I felt an odd one out in my own country, but even if/when I return, it's not changed that much. Sigh.)

May 28, 2012 12:12 am  #89

I popped back for a bit for paperwork,

The automated tills really are a pain.

-m0r

May 28, 2012 12:25 am  #90

I'm so happy for Andrew and his speech was so cute : ), but I don't understand why Benedict never wins a Bafta -_-'. I can't say if the other guy deserved it or not, because I have no idea who he is, but Benedict really did. Aah, it's sad, but well, congratulation Andrew !

Last edited by Milkomeda (May 28, 2012 12:26 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

May 28, 2012 12:54 am  #91

Very very happy for Andrew and Steven!
BUT also very disappointed that Benedict didn't get the BAFTA. Come on, it was a shame that he didn't get one the last time and he would so deserve it.

And for the Youtube Audience Award... well.
To be honest, I'm really surprised Sherlock didn't win. I thought the fandom already told everybody on the internet to vote for Sherlock, and since Sherlock is somehow the kind of TV show whose fans are a lot on the internet and since there are so many of us...
Weird. Then again, this is a public-vote-thing so it doesn't say anything about quality. So that's okay, somehow.
But Benedict. ARGH.
Why would they do that? I don't know the bloke who won but it can't get any better than Benedict, can it?

May 28, 2012 4:03 am  #92

Hmm.
Award shows mean very little overall, great when people win but when deserved winners don't all hell breaks loose.
I doubt it will affect Benedict too much, however it would be a shame if he started thinking twice about doing a film/show in Britain because of the possible snubbing.
But I think he is made of better stuff than that.
He has great company in a group of actors who 'should have won but didn't' over th eyears.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 28, 2012 6:06 am  #93

Apparently Celebrity Juice has over 700,000 followers on Twitter. This was the basis of their Audience Award triumph. These followers would, I imagine, all be UK based so all would be eligible to vote.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 28, 2012 4:27 pm  #94

I had such an amazing time! My seats were right at the front of the balcony so I had a great view.

I jumped up and down and screamed like a madwoman and cried when Andrew won. The Youtube award really shocked me, I thought we had it in the bag this year! Also felt really bad that Benedict didn't win.

And afterwards, I got to meet Rupert and Steven!

May 28, 2012 4:32 pm  #95

Sorry to be so 'out-of-touch' but who did win the audience award?

@Lisbeth Wow! I'm so jealous!! I hope you had a really great time! :D

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 28, 2012 4:58 pm  #96

Celebrity Juice stole the YouTube award Molly.

Now it's just a matter of ascertaining how they did.

-m0r

May 28, 2012 5:00 pm  #97

tacky... 

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

May 28, 2012 5:01 pm  #98

Yet effective.

-m0r

May 28, 2012 5:02 pm  #99

*sniff*
I suppose so....

May 28, 2012 5:47 pm  #100

www.metro.co.uk/tv

Has two articles one about Responsible Adult edging out Sherlock etc. Click on the relevant article pic to load and read.

The other article includes within it about Celebrity Juice beating Sherlock to the Audience Award. I leave it up to your good selves to pass judgment based upon what one of the panellists says about this ....and its host Keith Lemon but all I can say is that it makes one proud to be British! (Please do not take that final remark seriously, I am being facetious!)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera