BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2012 8:22 pm  #61

Re: BAFTA'S MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Right, that's it. I'm turning it off!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 27, 2012 8:27 pm  #62

Davina, who won?

Was it Dominic West?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 27, 2012 8:30 pm  #63

Yes it was Dominic West. I'm NOT impressed. Yet another year with no award from BAFTA. Pah!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 27, 2012 8:32 pm  #64

Can someone, please, pass me a shock blanket???

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 27, 2012 8:36 pm  #65

tobeornot221b wrote:

Can someone, please, pass me a shock blanket???

Sorry, I can't. I need it for me. 

It's incredible... I haven't watched Appropriate Adult, so I can't criticize this decission, but... oh!! I can't believe it! Is this always going to be like this? They get the supporting actors but not Benedict?

Agh 

Last edited by Irene_Adler (May 27, 2012 8:36 pm)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

May 27, 2012 8:42 pm  #66

NOOOOOOOOOO!
What have they done?!?!

Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 

May 27, 2012 8:42 pm  #67

I'm just watching Baskerville on German TV - can't concentrate properly...wonder why...tomorrow: Reichenbach. I think I need chocolate now.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 27, 2012 8:44 pm  #68

Logging off now!

May 27, 2012 8:45 pm  #69

Can anybody tell me what kind of program is Celebrity Juice?

May 27, 2012 8:52 pm  #70

Have never watched it. Probably lowest common denominator. Maybe powers-that-be don't regard Sherlock as 'serious' drama. I am outraged!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 27, 2012 8:55 pm  #71

Damn....poor Benny!!

I'm pleased for Andrew but really Ben should have won, and Sherlock should have won the audience award, obviously. Damn you BAFTAS!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 27, 2012 9:05 pm  #72

Thrilled for Andrew Scott. Very disappointed for Benedict. So, so, sad that the series has not recieved the recognition it deserves.

May 27, 2012 9:15 pm  #73

Caught all the parts I wanted.

Audience award didn't go to Sherlock? Bullshit (I know I don't wear often - but seriously!).

It's a shame Benedict didn't win, however I'm sure that, like Martin, they are banking on his overseas credentials and pillowing out the British TV industry.

Yay! For Andrew, not only does he partly share my moniker but much more than that - he was a true champion at acceptance.

I thought the Moffinator handled his thing wll but I did think Benedict spoke a little too much.

However, all in all I'm happy - well done to Team Moffat!

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 27, 2012 9:34 pm  #74

(fresh from streaming on the site m0r recommended but relinked four times when it froze, and not daring to split the signal before it was finished)

Aw, Andrew Scott so so in such genuine wonderment and joy at his award. Brought tears to the eyes. So lovely.

Very very sorry that Benedict didn't get it...perhaps I'm just too long in the tooth but I wasn't that surprised, not because I don't think he's fantastic and so forth but because I could envisage that the actual winner was also brilliant in the role he played which, for all Mofftis's writing, actually offered particular special opportunities to the actor concerned. Apologies to those who don't agree.
    Almost of more value was Benedict being very gracious, and the respect his fellow actor had for him by providing a lovely opportunity to show it (along with the camera/editing person). I don't know what else Dominic has done but Benedict has the presence of someone who will be one of the reallygreats over time. Looking forward to his Fellowship! (Rolf Harris! Wow! Another lovely response to an award).

Thanks again m0r, it was just wonderful to feel connected to it all, even if I hadn't seen or even heard of so much of it...including the Juice thing. Much of the British public and I have different tastes and I guess I'm used to it after all these years. Frustrating sometimes, but so long as they still make things like Sherlock too...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Important thing I have learnt from 'Sherlock':
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 9:43 pm  #75

Yes Britigander,

There is a lot of crap that comes from Cool Britannia but every now and then we get a 'Spaced' or a 'Sherlock' and it seemingly makes up for it.

Very rare, but everything precious is.

I thought Lord Sugar handled his award like a gent, however I've got an interest in computers and have done for a long while.

I really am surprised that Sherlock didn't win the audience category - so much so that I think an investigation is due.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 27, 2012 10:13 pm  #76

m0r1arty wrote:

...I thought Lord Sugar handled his award like a gent,

Oh yeh, a blunt gent but a gent neverthelss, tee hee.
He was himself, and enjoyed it.

I feel the same way about you re:investigating the audience category. I'm afraid I assume that any 'audience vote' thing 'may or may not be representative' and I'm not being cynical. Do you think the winner vs the runner ups means a lot (eg for funding?) in such votes?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
British army research bases keep their bins at the bottom of a quite deep lift shaft.

May 27, 2012 10:18 pm  #77

Sorry, I can't be that calm at the moment.
I'm angry like John's "No – it's NOT ok!"
Anyway, it's far better people think: Why the hell didn't get Sherlock all the awards?" rather than:
"What the hell did they get them for?"
But I'm disappointed that the BAFTA jury didn't appreciate such a gem of an actor that is Benedict. What else does he have to do or prove to get that (ugly) mask called BAFTA?
But I'm happy for Andrew - so highly deserved for his amazingly incredible acting!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 27, 2012 10:27 pm  #78

I find very very strange the Audience Award. I don't know if it deserves to be investigated or not, but... it just feels weird. Or is it that Sherlock is far more loved and famous out of the UK than in the UK? I don't even know what kind of a program is Celebrity Juice (though the title says a lot in itself, let's be honest) but I really can't believe after the "believe in Sherlock" movement, that this award has slipped of their hands.

I'm also disappointed in the jury for not appreciating Benedict's work. I really can't speak for West because I haven't seen Appropriate Adult, but... what does Ben need to do to be recognised as the amazing actor he is? Only for the last twenty minutes of TRF... what the hell, even if it was just for the note!! So many nuances in his voice... I just can't believe it. Maybe it's because Sherlock is not an obvious emotional character (harder, in my opinion, to portray effectively), and we all know how much people love to give awards to intense and emotional characters. Or maybe it's just because they're jealous of his success. Who knows.

Even Dominic looked like apologising when he took the award...

Sorry if this makes no sense, but I'm a bit pissed off right now and my English may be resenting it

May 27, 2012 10:36 pm  #79

Oh Irene! *hugs*
I think we've been watching a sort of absurd theatre tonight.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 27, 2012 10:39 pm  #80

Sorry you are so upset.
If the award wasn't comparative based on... neh,I guess nothing is adequate explanation right now.

Here's the shock blanket (cleaned and refolded), and yeh, try to think of Andrew's face during his speech...
(really really sorry)

* hiding*
I don't know what the Sherlock equivalent of Ted's cookies on BTVS are.

Board footera