BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 8:57 pm  #41

Re: Wanted Sherlock to help Eurus escape?

But family does come first

January 18, 2017 8:58 pm  #42

However yes, I do love the way the Holmes family were shown to be all coming together at the end of TFP...again, a good place to leave off the show.
And of course, Sherlock now includes John as family.

Last edited by besleybean (January 18, 2017 8:59 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 9:01 pm  #43

Bankomas wrote:

I say Eurus did't even kill Redbeard. She just put him in a well and was waiting for Sherlock to come to her for assistance. She didn't actually plan on killing him. That wasn't her goal. And she was just a five year old. Secondly, she burnt the house. Not a big deal. In human history there have been worse things done out of jealousy. Even "normal" children sometimes do weird things. She was just a child misunderstood, lacking attention from her brother and family. The biggest mistake was made when Eurus was taken away from home and locked up. They could have chanelled her in the right way. Instead they chose to isolate her. This is not fair. I want Eurus free!
Moreover, I believe it is possible for her to adapt in the world without killing. She is not a killer by passion. She doesn't take pleasure in it. It was just a means for her of observing Sherlock, studying his reaction. She is not hopeless. If just one hug by Sherlock had such an impact on her, i suppose, a course of therapy from him can cure her. It looks like Sherlock's started that course through violin duets. Provided we have another season, I hope Sherlock gets Eurus out of Sherrinford.

I agree and think that Eurus didn't necessarily plan to kill Trevor as if Sherlock had solved the riddle as a child and gone to Eurus maybe she would have told him where Trevor was. She wanted to be included in their games and in her misguided way this is how she chose to be involved. Of course this shows that there was clearly something wrong with her and she may never have been "normal" but her riddle suggests that she was in her own way reaching out for help and if she had received help rather than being locked up things may have turned out differently. Then again they may not have but we can never know. I think this could make Sherlock feel very guilty (of course he shouldn't though as he was only a child) as if he had solved the riddle in childhood not only could he have saved Trevor but possibly also "saved" his sister as well.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 18, 2017 9:03 pm  #44

I don't necessarily think Sherlock feels guilty.
But I do think he recognises Euros needs help and is willing to give it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 9:09 pm  #45

Lis wrote:

I agree and think that Eurus didn't necessarily plan to kill Trevor as if Sherlock had solved the riddle as a child and gone to Eurus maybe she would have told him where Trevor was. She wanted to be included in their games and in her misguided way this is how she chose to be involved. Of course this shows that there was clearly something wrong with her and she may never have been "normal" but her riddle suggests that she was in her own way reaching out for help and if she had received help rather than being locked up things may have turned out differently. Then again they may not have but we can never know. I think this could make Sherlock feel very guilty (of course he shouldn't though as he was only a child) as if he had solved the riddle in childhood not only could he have saved Trevor but possibly also "saved" his sister as well.

Agree

January 18, 2017 11:47 pm  #46

besleybean wrote:

However yes, I do love the way the Holmes family were shown to be all coming together at the end of TFP...again, a good place to leave off the show.
And of course, Sherlock now includes John as family.

I hope that the rest of his family will include John as family, too!

January 19, 2017 6:45 am  #47

Me, too.
Incidentally can I use this opportunity to apologise to everyone.
It's only recently dawned on me that I have been consistently spelling Eurus incorrectly, in the face of everyone else spelling it the right way!
As I was wide awake(again) last night, I realised I have been turning the poor girl into a currency, by referring to her as 'Euros'!
This is one of the times you would have all been most welcome to put me right and yet none of you did.
Sometimes folks are too polite!

January 19, 2017 7:33 am  #48

besleybean wrote:

Me, too.
It's only recently dawned on me that I have been consistently spelling Eurus incorrectly, in the face of everyone else spelling it the right way!
As I was wide awake(again) last night, I realised I have been turning the poor girl into a currency, by referring to her as 'Euros'!
This is one of the times you would have all been most welcome to put me right and yet none of you did.

You are not the only one!  I started using Eurus (only because that was the spelling in the subtitles), came here some people were spelling it Euros, looked it up and it seemed both were correct (as names for the east wind), and so have gone back and forth between the two.   Here's a Radio Times article with the Euros spelling:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-01-18/the-origins-of-sherlocks-euros--and-how-her-arrival-has-been-foreshadowed-since-series-three

My parents loved silly names.  Like Euros.  And Pounds. And Dollars.

January 19, 2017 7:42 am  #49

besleybean wrote:

Me, too.

You were not necessarily wrong: Euros is the Greek spelling and Eurus is the Roman spelling. Given that Euros is a Greek god and they kept pronouncing it with an "o" instead of a "u", your spelling would make much more sense. But I guess they didn't want to spell it like the currency, so the subtitles used the Roman spelling.

January 19, 2017 7:54 am  #50

Ah, one word is indeed an education in itself!

January 19, 2017 7:56 am  #51

Lis wrote:

Bankomas wrote:

I say Eurus did't even kill Redbeard. She just put him in a well and was waiting for Sherlock to come to her for assistance. She didn't actually plan on killing him. That wasn't her goal. And she was just a five year old. Secondly, she burnt the house. Not a big deal. In human history there have been worse things done out of jealousy. Even "normal" children sometimes do weird things. She was just a child misunderstood, lacking attention from her brother and family. The biggest mistake was made when Eurus was taken away from home and locked up. They could have chanelled her in the right way. Instead they chose to isolate her. This is not fair.
Moreover, I believe it is possible for her to adapt in the world without killing. She is not a killer by passion. She doesn't take pleasure in it. It was just a means for her of observing Sherlock, studying his reaction. She is not hopeless. If just one hug by Sherlock had such an impact on her, i suppose, a course of therapy from him can cure her. It looks like Sherlock's started that course through violin duets. Provided we have another season, I hope Sherlock gets Eurus out of Sherrinford.

I agree and think that Eurus didn't necessarily plan to kill Victor as if Sherlock had solved the riddle as a child and gone to Eurus maybe she would have told him where Victor was. She wanted to be included in their games and in her misguided way this is how she chose to be involved. Of course this shows that there was clearly something wrong with her and she may never have been "normal" but her riddle suggests that she was in her own way reaching out for help and if she had received help rather than being locked up things may have turned out differently

I mostly agree with that. But I understand that they couldn't keep her at home after she had killed another child, had attempted/threatenend to kill her borther (just look at her drawings with "R.I.P. Sherlock") and purposely lit their house on fire shortly afterwards. We don't know where she was taken after that. She wasn't taken to Sherrinford back then, but to some other place. I like to think that she was taken to a suitable institution where they actually tried to help her, not just lock her away. It was only much later that the second fire happend (probably there even were people killed in that second fire) and she was taken to Sherrinford and Mycroft told their parents she was dead. Mycroft must already have been a grown up when this second fire happened, so I guess Eurus must have been in her teens or even older when that happened.  

I don't think that it was Sherlock's hug that made her change her mind and let John go. Sherlock had finally solved her puzzle, and it always had been her condition that she'd release Redbeard (or now John in the same situation) if Sherlock was able to decipher her song and solve that puzzle. I think the fact that he solved her puzzle gave her the hope she needed that there was someone out there able to understand her, to reach her and help her "land her plane", get the connection to others that she had missed for decades.

Last edited by Kae Em (January 19, 2017 8:00 am)

January 19, 2017 7:57 am  #52

The relationship between Sherlock and Eurus is really beautifully written.

January 19, 2017 11:02 am  #53

It was said couple times: Eurus was a genius, and the same time she was unable to distinguish, what was pleasant, and what - painful. In the consequence, she was unable to really feel the emotions, caused by these simple impulses (as I understand, her enormous intellect was overcoming basic sensations, but maybe I am wrong), to imagine, how other people feel, and to see the difference between good and bad.
Unfortunately for her (and Victor Trevor, and many others), emotions can not be turned off, and they continued to affect her. This is how her brain worked, and it is very unlikely, it could be significantly changed after over thirty years.

The point is not, how much was she responsible for her actions, or what were her real intentions, but how dangerous was she. Would you like her to be your neighbor?

January 19, 2017 4:50 pm  #54

Naavy wrote:

The point is not, how much was she responsible for her actions, or what were her real intentions, but how dangerous was she. Would you like her to be your neighbor?

Oh common! We've had worse characters roam the world in the history of cinematography! Let the nice baby girl walk free!

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 4:53 pm)

January 19, 2017 4:52 pm  #55

And if we are being this fair, then Sherlock should also be in prison. He killed, tortured. Dangerous.

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 4:55 pm)

January 19, 2017 5:50 pm  #56

He didn't go around torturing and murdering innocent people, though.  He tried to save them instead, when they could be saved, and when they couldn't be, he set out to solve their murders (which allowed justice to be done).  Big difference!

January 19, 2017 5:51 pm  #57

He's also not as disturbed as Eurus.

January 19, 2017 6:20 pm  #58

Of course, not as disturbed. Still murdered. Prison would be fair. Laws are for everybody.

Last edited by Bankomas (January 19, 2017 6:20 pm)

January 19, 2017 6:21 pm  #59

Yes, but the mentally disturbed need different treatment from regular criminals.

January 19, 2017 6:22 pm  #60

Treatment is the key word.

Board footera