BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 9:43 am  #101

Re: Questions about TFP

Preceja wrote:

By the way, Sherlock could not have afforded Baker street alone, too at the beginning and his cases are profitable only sometimes. How is it that now he has no problem with money and rent? Or has he a special price (or more special price then before) from Ms. Hudson? 

Apparently Mrs Hudson is the richest one in the series so yes, the rent is probably cheap for the boys.

As for Sherlock: look at his posh suits, shoes, dressing gowns... Look at the palace of Mycroft's house. They don't come from a poor family. There are several possible explanations as to why he needed a flatmate in the beginning. He says "we'll be able to afford it betwen the two of us", so maybe Mycroft cut his access to his funds after what happened in the Montague Street (when Sherlock's old landlord chucked him out of his old flat).

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 9:43 am)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 9:45 am  #102

I think, the documents existed from years - Mary kept them ready, just in case. She knew, she can be made to run some day, and they were prepared.in advance.

But the rest of your questions - that is, why I do not love TFP as much, as I would like to. To many logical leeks for me.

January 17, 2017 9:46 am  #103

ewige wrote:

Preceja wrote:

By the way, Sherlock could not have afforded Baker street alone, too at the beginning and his cases are profitable only sometimes. How is it that now he has no problem with money and rent? Or has he a special price (or more special price then before) from Ms. Hudson? 

Apparently Mrs Hudson is the richest one in the series so yes, the rent is probably cheap for the boys.

As for Sherlock: look at his posh suits, shoes, dressing gowns... Look at the palace of Mycroft's house. They don't come from a poor family. There are several possible explanations as to why he needed a flatmate in the beginning. He says "we'll be able to afford it betwen the two of us", so maybe Mycroft cut his access to his funds after what happened in the Montague Street (when Sherlock's old landlord chucked him out of his old flat).

In TBB John wants to pump Sherlock for money, because he is broke.
It´s obvious that only Sherlock pays the rent at that moment, yet he is comfortable enough to refuse any payment from Sebastian Wilkes + he offers John his money.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 9:48 am  #104

Naavy wrote:

I think, the documents existed from years - Mary kept them ready, just in case. She knew, she can be made to run some day, and they were prepared.in advance.

The photographs on them matched her contemporary look, that´s why I believe she had them fabricated only after her escape from London.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2017 9:53 am  #105

nakahara wrote:

Naavy wrote:

The photographs on them matched her contemporary look, that´s why I believe she had them fabricated only after her escape from London.

That, and anywhay, they had to be paid from her old stash so it doesn't really matter when she got them. We also have to consider that she probably needed more than one set of fake papers seeing how she travels around the world to throw everybody off her scent. It would be a little pointless with the same passport.

My point is that it's harder to justify John's sudden wealth than Sherlock's rearranging 221b to welcome a child.
AND we were told by Mary no less that they are her 221b boys and this is where they are supposed to be.

-----

January 17, 2017 9:55 am  #106

nakahara wrote:

Another problem:

Eurus not only hypnotised the entire staff at Sherrinford, she obviously kidnapped lots of people and used them as props in her impromptu "gladiator games".
Who was doing the kidnappings? Even hypnotised, the staff at Sherrinford is hardly qualified at a job like this.

I'm not sure which kidnappings you mean. The director's wife? The three murder suspects? I guess it must have been easy for Eurus to make the director bring his wife along to Sherrinford. And as far as the two murder suspects were concerned, two of them worked at Sherrinford, so it was easy for her to make them bring the third brother along. After the use of tranquilizer guns, it sure wasn't difficult to make people tie them up und bring them where they were seen in the episode. The same goes for John and Sherlock: Once she had the helicopter pilot under her control, she could make him bring Sherlock and John wherever she wished. Where there any other, more difficult kidnappings I don't remember?

January 17, 2017 9:57 am  #107

ewige wrote:

Preceja wrote:

I like the theory (found in net), that Mrs Hudson simply wanted Sherlock to have some flatmate, for his own good. It was never said, that Sherlock could not afford to rent all the flat, but having a flatmate by Sherlock was mrs Hudson's condition.

Last edited by Naavy (January 17, 2017 10:01 am)

January 17, 2017 10:02 am  #108

Kae Em wrote:

And as far as the two murder suspects were concerned, two of them worked at Sherrinford...

Haven't caught onto that!

I too think that Big G brought his wife willingly.
I'm more puzzled about the fake room near Musgrave and chained John in the well. I mean, as a child she could have just pushed Victor down the well. With John, she had to actually go down there and chain him. I don't think she carried him there herself, either.

-----

January 17, 2017 10:14 am  #109

I believe, it was Mary's look, matching the photographs, not in the contrary. She was able to change her look, like every woman.
I would like John to live in Baker Street, but where?

On the Sherrinford: someone get rid of all the guards too. One or two guards, shooting the rest of them?

January 17, 2017 10:15 am  #110

ewige wrote:

Kae Em wrote:

And as far as the two murder suspects were concerned, two of them worked at Sherrinford...

Haven't caught onto that!

I too think that Big G brought his wife willingly.
I'm more puzzled about the fake room near Musgrave and chained John in the well. I mean, as a child she could have just pushed Victor down the well. With John, she had to actually go down there and chain him. I don't think she carried him there herself, either.

I only caught onto that when I watched the episode for a second time with subtitles. She actually tells Sherlock that two of the suspects worked as guards in Sherrinford and it was easy for her to make them bring the third brother along.

I don't think she carried John to the well or chained him there herself. I like to think that she made the helicopter pilot help her or took one or two of the Sherrinford staff with her. I don't know about the fake room. It wasn't a very solid construction. Probably one of the guards new someone who was able and willing to put this not very expensive construction there (and probably even pay for it). She must have planned that in advance, though.

January 17, 2017 10:18 am  #111

@Naavy,
I'd say Sherlock moves upstairs while John and Rosie share Sherlock's old room for a while. It's more practical with a small baby anyway.
By the time Rosie is old enough to need her own room, John and Sherlock could seize the day and just share Sherlock's old room while leaving the upstairs bedroom for Rosie.
It would be also possible for John or Sherlock to kip on the sofa. Theoretically.

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 10:18 am)

-----

January 17, 2017 10:21 am  #112

I presumed she had mind controlled people into helping her - she had three unconscious bodies to move, after all.  There must have been a lot of people involved (building the fake roome, etc.).   We never find out what happens to them, but I suppose it wouldn't add to the story.

John doesn't have money at the beginning of the series, but by TSOT John and Mary can afford a very expensive wedding.  And he dresses well.  I don't think they are making money out to be an issue.  I agree that Mary probably had life insurance (especially when she knew she might die suddenly).  There may have been some money from work.   And I think the Holmes' brothers would help out if needed.    It does wind me up that, given that, John keeps using Molly as a babysitter (is she having to give up her job to do it?), but again, I think this is just serving the plot and we're not meant to think too far - we see Rosie being looked after by somebody we know rather than a new character. 

Somewhere, somebody said something about them surviving the explosion at 221B unharmed.   In the Behind the Scenes video, it's clear that they land on the awning over Speedy's! 

January 17, 2017 10:24 am  #113

So Magnussen knew about Redbeard ? But instead of just blackmailing Mycroft with - I'll tell Sherlock - he came up with a convoluted plot to get at Mycroft by blackmailing a dangerous assasin to get at John  to get  at  Sherlock to get at Mycroft ! Idiot! Oh wait , did Euros tell him to do all that ? 

So Moriarty knew about Redbeard and didn't use it he just , randomly never used it and shot himself on the roof without mentioning her...Oh wait ! Did Euros tell him to do all that ?

When Sherlock got shot and was dieing , the thing that calmed him was patting his imaginary dog that was actually a drowned dead boy ! 😕 Sherlock said they're putting me down too.. did he imagine his parents put the dog down too. Actually the whole turn the missing murdered boy into a dog with it's own backstory and bowl !

Euros could go anywhere and do anything with the whole talk to anyone and they do as I say skill so why did she just sit about in a empty glass room for decades or need to do favours for Christmas presents. If she missed Sherlock why not just telephone him and say visit me and be my friend or whatever.

Who had tens of millions of pounds to buy a Stradivarius for a mental patient! Did she just find a Strad owner and say Give me your very valuable very famous violin...ta!

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 17, 2017 11:58 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 17, 2017 10:29 am  #114

If we consider the wedding as evidence here, I have to say that the newlyweds couldn't have paid it from Mary's old money stash because John didn't know anything about Mary's old life yet.
So maybe he's job at the clinic pays more or less well (since we're fantasizing here).
Still, renting a house and paying for child care at the same time is extremely taxing for a single parent.

-----

January 17, 2017 10:32 am  #115

I had a theory back in Pink , that Sherlock wasn't looking for a flatmate he was looking for an assistant as he later told Lestrade. John did become his live in PA As described in Hound.
And so much more.....

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 17, 2017 10:42 am  #116

If we guess that Sherlock was about 5 when Redbeard / Victor was killed , Mycroft was 12 . Uncle Rudy took her away and locked her up or whatever and for what ten years or more no one ever mentioned her again or watched videos or looked at family photos etc Then Mycroft made up the oh she died in a fire story and no one ever gave her a funeral? O did Sherlock just imagine they buried a dog in the back yard when he was 17 or so ?

It doesn't make sense !

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 17, 2017 10:42 am)

January 17, 2017 11:32 am  #117

That´s true. Parents must know and participate on the thing by hiding these photographs or videos, birth record and the like or it´s nonsense.

January 17, 2017 11:49 am  #118

I cannot imagine these parents not to participate. They were told about her death much later but if they wanted to see her knowing she was a murderer (really killed people herself) how could they abandon her at the age of 6. I can imagine to arrange special care for her outside the house and  other children especially while she was so focused on Sherlock but not that they would not visit her often and let their child in some fortress without anything that a child needs to grow into a normal adult (at least try). 

On the other hand Sherlock was traumatized and seemed to forget  as self-defence, there might have been a medical reason hide her from him. And then only Mycroft knew she was alive, why to tell him about a dead sister? 

Violin was a Christmas present from Mycroft. Eurus asked for it and he must be first very rich, second feel guilty if he bought her not only any good violin but Stradivaris.

January 17, 2017 11:55 am  #119

Based on how Eurus is depicted in TFP, it is not feasible for her to have role played the other three characters in TST and TLD (bus lady, therapist and Faith Smith).

In TFP, it is clear that she is someone who has no empathy or emotions. Throughout her locked room puzzles she even asks Sherlock and Mycroft etc. to give her verbal explanation of their emotional state so she can gauge their levels of anxiety. She cannot tell what is beautiful or painful either.

Therefore, how could she possibly dress up as someone beautiful that she knows John would fall for, engage in a text conversation/ affair for a prolonged period (emotions), become a therapist who is talking through someone's emotional problems as well as able to spot and understand non-verbal queues (such as John looking at imaginary Mary), or act as Faith Smith who was, as she pretended, emotionally traumatised and suicidal? Isn't that like... weird?

January 17, 2017 12:06 pm  #120

Maybe she has a multiple personality disorder on top of her other problems.

Or maybe she's just so smart that she can mimic feelings brilliantly. In case of Sherlock she wanted to know for sure to make the whole experience most pleasurable for her.

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 12:06 pm)

-----

Board footera