BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2017 9:29 pm  #241

Re: Questions about TFP

1895 wrote:

There is a short scene where young Sherlock is reading, before  "redbeard" runs by and they start playing

Do we know for sure he is not looking into a picture-book in that scene?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2017 9:31 pm  #242

Just to say, even I was reading before I started school(at age 5) and I am no Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 9:41 pm  #243

besleybean wrote:

Just to say, even I was reading before I started school(at age 5) and I am no Sherlock!

Yep.
I accidentally know of one country *cough cough* where ABC books are labeled "age 0+" and kids read and count with 3. But then, you also need to pass a test if you want to go to a good primary school there so children start young on learning basically everything. 3 years is a good age to combine stuff like shapes and sounds anyway.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 19, 2017 9:47 pm  #244

I think all three of them are meant to be genius children.  Sherlock was the most "normal" of the three, but still miles ahead of other children.  I got the impression that he was supposed to be seven at that time (although I don't know where from, and I could be wrong), but it seems that if genius six-year-old Eurus could write that cipher, then probably slightly-less-genius Sherlock could read it and recognise the numbers.  He just didn't understand the code ... and read it as map directions.  Of course!  He was a pirate, and it must have felt like a treasure map.  (Walk so many paces and dig).  

January 19, 2017 9:48 pm  #245

Considering that adult Sherlock had problems solving this one, his still undeveloped five-year old self had much lower chance to do the same....

Last edited by nakahara (January 19, 2017 9:49 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2017 9:48 pm  #246

@ Liberty Good point.

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2017 9:49 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 10:00 pm  #247

And the same code could be deciphered in many other ways too, depending on the person, who wanted to crack it.
Liberty, great deduction!

January 19, 2017 10:13 pm  #248

Thank you!  I think that if the problem was supposed to be that he couldn't recognise words and numbers, then he could easily have solved it as an adult.  Instead, he still needed the clue about the no one/Nemo clue (which Eurus really emphasises) to point him the right direction.  I'm happy to believe that if his younger sister could read, he could.  (I looked it up, and I think Sherlock is supposed to be six here, and Eurus five.  Given that UK kids would normally learn to read at age 4/5, a fluent six year old wouldn't be unusual, especially not a genius one!).

January 19, 2017 10:29 pm  #249

I agree, it went wrong not because of lacking skills, but because of wrong direction of his thinking. 

January 19, 2017 11:43 pm  #250

What do people think was the big fix it that everyone else got wrong.?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 6:33 am  #251

That Moriarty would leave post death messages, in an attempt to help burn out Sherlock's heart?

January 20, 2017 6:57 am  #252

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I've been thinking about that too. You mean "it's not worth doing if you are not correcting other versions", right?
Maybe they meant the whole show being a prequel, a set-up for "normal", mature Sherlock?
But in this case I see no reason whatsoever for them to go on into S5 because that would be just what all other adaptations have already done.

-----

January 20, 2017 7:01 am  #253

I think they are fully expecting not to go into a S 5.
But they've allowed for the possibility.
Setting up the scenario where the boys would just carry on solving crimes together.

January 20, 2017 7:07 am  #254

besleybean wrote:

I think they are fully expecting not to go into a S 5.
But they've allowed for the possibility.
Setting up the scenario where the boys would just carry on solving crimes together.

I agree they don't count on S5.
What would be so special about them solving crimes together? It's been done over and over again. Sherlock's and John's growth as characters was what was so interesting about this version. Since they have been now declared all grown up, I honestly don't see much left to do there.

-----

January 20, 2017 7:12 am  #255

Indeed.
But to be fair, that's really all Canon had them do...solve crimes together.

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2017 7:13 am)

January 20, 2017 7:23 am  #256

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I think this question belongs in the same category as what was groundbreaking and making TV history if they could pull it off. Or Sue saying to a fan that anyone who had loved TAB would love S4. Or that love conquered all. All these things were brought up and have not been really resolved. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2017 7:27 am  #257

besleybean wrote:

Indeed.
But to be fair, that's really all Canon had them do...solve crimes together.

I mean all the crime solving is pretty amazing in its own right, of course. But I keep in mind Moftiss saying it's worth doing only if you are correcting the others...
There must be room for the actors to flex their acting muscles too.
Doing one-off movies in the next years wouldn't be setting BBC Sherlock apart from other adaptations, really. The development story arc is what made the BBC version so special.

-----

January 20, 2017 7:27 am  #258

Groundbreaking: Well there is the secret, psychotic sister.
I fall into the TAB category.
I think the episode perfectly demonstrates how love conquers all:  we see Sherlock's healing love to Euros, we see his love defending Mycroft from Mummy's criticism and not being able to shoot him. We see Mummy's love eventually forgiving Mycroft, wit the hand hold.
We see Sherlock's love for his friend Molly, making him have to go to hell to save her.
The love for John was always there, but Sherlock now considers John family and I presume Rosie too.

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2017 7:28 am)

January 20, 2017 7:30 am  #259

SusiGo wrote:

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I think this question belongs in the same category as what was groundbreaking and making TV history if they could pull it off. Or Sue saying to a fan that anyone who had loved TAB would love S4. Or that love conquered all. All these things were brought up and have not been really resolved.

* groundbreaking and making TV history - I have to remember not to take anything AA says too seriously anymore
* anyone who had loved TAB would love S4 - uhm, maybe because the same actors are in it?
* love conquered all - okay, I thought the way Sherlock treated Eurus in the end was really great so I guess it fits the bill in my eyes at least

-----

January 20, 2017 7:39 am  #260

Well I thought they must have meant something regarding Holmes and Watson though ? People can't have got the sister wrong the whole time because there was no sister.

As for love I think other adaptations have had much more affectionate and loving Holmes and Watson's - Granada & Rathbones.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

Board footera