BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 7:55 am  #201

Re: Questions about TFP

I agree  - I was forgetting about the case money as well.  Plus a GP salary, any money from the army after he was invalided out, Mary's insurance and death in service benefits - he should have a decent income. 

@ Kgreen Yes, there are some changes from the books, but Watson's home life wasn't really gone in to in any depth, and I could now see that happening in S5, if there is one.   I don't suppose they wanted to have Mary as a background wife, but Rosie could be in the background, being cared for but rarely seen, as we saw throughout TLD and TFP.   All the worry about how they were going to fit a baby in came to nothing! 

Of course, that's not necessarily the case - they could make John and his family the focus of S5.  But in the last two episodes, I think they've been telling us that Rosie won't cause problems.

January 18, 2017 6:04 pm  #202

Meretricious wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

But as John told Mike Stamford, he can't afford London on an army pension.  That's why he had to get a flat share, to begin with.  Even less can he afford to use his pension to pay a nanny.

That was quite some time ago. Sherlock and John have likely been paid to solve many cases since then, including £25,000 from Sebastian Wilkes, which as partners, I'm sure they shared. Also, he wasn't employed when he met Stamford; he's had his job as a doctor (on and off at least) for all these years. I don't think he's broke like he was back then. John and Mary must have had a bit of money saved, I'm thinking about that expensive wedding!

They probably received help to pay for that wedding, though.  I seriously doubt that John could afford it, even with Mary's help.

January 18, 2017 6:08 pm  #203

Liberty wrote:

I agree  - I was forgetting about the case money as well.  Plus a GP salary, any money from the army after he was invalided out, Mary's insurance and death in service benefits - he should have a decent income. 

@ Kgreen Yes, there are some changes from the books, but Watson's home life wasn't really gone in to in any depth, and I could now see that happening in S5, if there is one.   I don't suppose they wanted to have Mary as a background wife, but Rosie could be in the background, being cared for but rarely seen, as we saw throughout TLD and TFP.   All the worry about how they were going to fit a baby in came to nothing! 

Of course, that's not necessarily the case - they could make John and his family the focus of S5.  But in the last two episodes, I think they've been telling us that Rosie won't cause problems.

I rather hope they will make John the focus of at least one of the Season 5 episodes!  If the events of Episode 2 are any indication, there are some ghosts from John's own past that need to be exorcised, and I don't mean necessarily the ones from his time in Afghanistan or during the Hiatus, but from earlier in his life.

As for Rosie, everyone will just have to wait and see, as of now, what Moffat and Gatiss decide to do with her.

January 18, 2017 6:51 pm  #204

That's if they decide to do anything at all!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 11:43 pm  #205

No kidding!

January 19, 2017 10:07 am  #206

I saw some mention this on Tumblr - biggest headscratcher of TFP is how Sherlock managed to have perfect hair after taking of his hat, after posing as a security guard in Sherrinford. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2017 10:19 am  #207

Vhanja wrote:

I saw some mention this on Tumblr - biggest headscratcher of TFP is how Sherlock managed to have perfect hair after taking of his hat, after posing as a security guard in Sherrinford. 

He's got magic hair!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 11:18 am  #208

I wonder why Eurus wanted to kill Sherlock, John and Mycroft with a drone-grenade at the beginning of an episode when later, she did not allow Sherlock to shoot himself saying she is not yet finished playing with him?
Wouldn´t it also ruin the plan she laid out with Moriarty five years ago?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 19, 2017 11:56 am  #209

Well she wanted to destroy 221b (just because) and obviously anticipated that Mycroft would recognize the device. She didn't anticipate, tho, that the boys would pause for a dramatic effect and a chat on English literature. They had several seconds to vacate the room before the detonator became active. Then the room would be empty and a bomb squad could roll in and deactivate the motion sensor with a laser beam. Oops, but that would be already a different show!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 19, 2017 11:57 am  #210

nakahara wrote:

I wonder why Eurus wanted to kill Sherlock, John and Mycroft with a drone-grenade at the beginning of an episode when later, she did not allow Sherlock to shoot himself saying she is not yet finished playing with him?
Wouldn´t it also ruin the plan she laid out with Moriarty five years ago?

I suppose she estimated that they would find a way to get away from the explosion in time. It was a bit riscy though but to her it might have been a calculated risk with two Holmes involved. And it solved it's purpose. Mycroft wasn't convinced at their talk in Baker Street that Eurus had really escaped but the drone was the final prove. So it was kind of a starting signal/Iinvitation/challenge from her to begin with the game. That's how I see it.

Also, I suppose, that the grenade didn't contain as much explosives as normal. Mycroft said, the floor downstairs would get demaged as well but we saw at the end of the episode that "only" Sherlock's flat was affected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 19, 2017 12:07 pm  #211

But she wanted them in Sherrinford, to play her games. She even waited, until John said to her (as the therapist), that Sherlock was already OK, before she decided to reveal her real identity! And then they could die anyway, because the grenade - there was no guarantee, they were to survive.

January 19, 2017 12:41 pm  #212

Naavy wrote:

But she wanted them in Sherrinford, to play her games. She even waited, until John said to her (as the therapist), that Sherlock was already OK, before she decided to reveal her real identity! And then they could die anyway, because the grenade - there was no guarantee, they were to survive.

Yes, that's why I think she used the grenate to lure them to Sherrinford. And that she expected them to be so clever that they would be able to escape from the explotion. Maybe she thought that if they weren't clever enough to escape from her trap, playing with them wouldn't be interessting anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 19, 2017 3:07 pm  #213

stoertebeker wrote:

Yes, that's why I think she used the grenate to lure them to Sherrinford. And that she expected them to be so clever that they would be able to escape from the explotion. Maybe she thought that if they weren't clever enough to escape from her trap, playing with them wouldn't be interessting anyway.

Sorry, I believe, it is some language problem. English is neither your, nor my first language.
Ich wollte sagen, dass Eurus konnte nicht wirklich sicher sein, dass diese drei Männer überleben werden. Es war eine Granate, ein Sprengtoff.

Last edited by Naavy (January 19, 2017 3:08 pm)

January 19, 2017 3:16 pm  #214

Ah, I still remember enough German from junior high to understand that. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 19, 2017 4:06 pm  #215

Naavy wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

Yes, that's why I think she used the grenate to lure them to Sherrinford. And that she expected them to be so clever that they would be able to escape from the explotion. Maybe she thought that if they weren't clever enough to escape from her trap, playing with them wouldn't be interessting anyway.

Sorry, I believe, it is some language problem. English is neither your, nor my first language.
Ich wollte sagen, dass Eurus konnte nicht wirklich sicher sein, dass diese drei Männer überleben werden. Es war eine Granate, ein Sprengtoff.

I understood what you said.
Seems my English is too bad, to make myself understandable.

My opinion on your question is: I think Eurus send the drone to show how powerful she is but I don't think Eurus wanted to kill the three men. I think she expected them to survive, to find a way to leave the flat before the detonation, just like they did.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 19, 2017 4:59 pm  #216

I personally just think she likes these dangerous games and actually doesn't care if people survive or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2017 5:51 pm  #217

Schmiezi wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

He's got magic hair!

LOL!

January 19, 2017 6:01 pm  #218

besleybean wrote:

I personally just think she likes these dangerous games and actually doesn't care if people survive or not.

I disagree. She stopped Sherlock when he seemed to be ready to kill himself. She loves him, I think, in her own twisted way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 6:02 pm  #219

This is true.

January 19, 2017 6:22 pm  #220

Yes, she definitely wants Sherlock to live, I think.  The whole thing seems to be set up to get him to save her.  I think she must have known/guessed that he would survive the grenade.   (Mycroft explaining is also more for the audience than Sherlock, I think). 

Although - now, I've only had one full viewing so might be getting confused - the clues in the song lead to Eurus in her room, didn't they?  Whereas Sherlock was expecting them to lead to Redbeard.  But as a child, she wouldn't have just sat in her room waiting for him to find her, would she?  Maybe she did?  It is the same song/clues, isn't it, which is why it had to be Musgrave?

Thinking of it ... she kind of gives Sherlock another chance to save "Redbeard"(with John standing in!) too (even if that isn't her goal!).

Board footera