BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 12:13 am  #101

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

There were definitely moments in this episode that I really liked. The it's a family matter and that's why John stays, Mycroft's actions when he thought Sherlock was going to have to choose to shoot either John or himself (and Mycroft in general really) and the scene at the end showing them back in Baker Street solving crimes as usual to name a few (there are others but those are the ones off the top of my head) but on the whole I'm still not sure I liked this episode. I need to go back and watch it again.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 16, 2017 12:22 am  #102

Vhanja wrote:

Gah, I'm tempted to log off Tumblr for good. The negativity over there is just too much.

I'm with you.
Yes, there are things about the series in general that I would've done different.  But I still love the show and think it's brilliant.  I still want to talk about it and watch it over and over.  I can look at the end of the episode and I see love and hope.  I see damaged people moving forward past great pain.   *sigh*

Some people can't seem to handle anything but a black and white out come.  Either it's exactly what I want, or it's complete trash.   

I was prepared for great disappointment after the last few days and what I got was something I can love.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2017 12:24 am  #103

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Gah, I'm tempted to log off Tumblr for good. The negativity over there is just too much.

I'm with you.
Yes, there are things about the series in general that I would've done different.  But I still love the show and think it's brilliant.  I still want to talk about it and watch it over and over.  I can look at the end of the episode and I see love and hope.  I see damaged people moving forward past great pain.   *sigh*

Some people can't seem to handle anything but a black and white out come.  Either it's exactly what I want, or it's complete trash.   

I was prepared for great disappointment after the last few days and what I got was something I can love.

Couldn't agree more. That's the problem you get when - to quote Martin - you're not really in love with the show anymore, but in love with the show that goes on in your own head.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 12:26 am  #104

Oh jeez I don't want to even look at Tumblr and Twitter, I really don't want to see all the crazy negativity I'm sure is being posted. Even if people are disappointed there is a right way and a wrong way to express it and I'm sure there are lots of wrong posts being made.

Anyway, I'm going to head off to bed I think and I'll give TFP another watch tomorrow. Goodnight guys

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 16, 2017 12:34 am  #105

I'll need a rewatch, as most of you are saying. As a non native English speaker, it's quite difficult to understand everything. I didn't get how John scaped from Eurus's shooting, for instance. So I still don't have an opinion. Well, yes, I do, but I'm not exactly happy with the episode, so I'll give it another opportunity to bewitch me. I agree with what most of you feel after watching it. Not everything was explained, Molly was treated as a punching bag (I'm not a Sherlollier, but I din't like that), there were some inconsistencies, everything was too blurry and fast... I don't know.

Of course, there where things I loved, like that Sherlock discovered that his true strengh are his heart and emotions, his relationship with John (I'm a bit of a Johnlocker, though a mild one), the way Mycroft and Sherlock get along and help each other during the episode, the rage attack Sherlock feels when he has to force Molly to say those fatal words, and Moriarty listening to Queen!

Anyway, I think I'm quite disappointed. I hope my rewatch will help me a little.

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 16, 2017 12:35 am)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 16, 2017 12:42 am  #106

I have actually felt very much like Eurus towards the middle of the episode because we both like to watch Sherlock suffer.
Yep.
I can dub this ep now as A Study in Sherlock's Suffering, SSS for short. Love it.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 16, 2017 12:44 am  #107

Wow, saw it in the cinema here in London and I see it mostly positive. A lot of things were answered like why Sherlock got so invested in the Carl Powers case. All the water images. The whole Redbeard complex. John being part of the family. All of Sherlock's scenes with Euros. And the end with rebuilding 221b and Sherlock and John with Rosie. Could have done without another Mary video, though. It was a very different kind of episode but I liked and so liked my friends with whom I watched it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2017 12:45 am  #108

Haha, yes. Oh God, poor Sherlock. I do hope their foreseeable future will consist of mildly interesting cases by regular murders along with Bond nights and Rosie-watching. The poor boys need a breather.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 1:13 am  #109

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

I'm with you.

Couldn't agree more. That's the problem you get when - to quote Martin - you're not really in love with the show anymore, but in love with the show that goes on in your own head.

I am in accord too !
It wasn't what I wanted and it didn't answer questions I had. I still think much is MP.
BUT to trash this show over a really enjoyable episode when there is SO so much to love. B.C. alone! and Mycroft !

Let the meta the heart wins over the head every time because love conquers all commence.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 16, 2017 1:20 am  #110

So happy I don't have to work tomorrow!!  And it is only a bit after 8pm here in Eastern Standard Time.  

And tomorrow evening I will be watching TFP again on the big screen with what I hope will be a happy enthusiastic audience.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2017 1:23 am  #111

I'm not sure what is happening on other sites an Tumblr, I find that platform horrifically difficult to follow (I'm probably not young eough to get how it works) and I swore most social media off. There were definitely some great moments in TFP, but I won't dismiss the criticism with TFP as simply 'negative', especially from individuals who are objective. Ciriticism, especially constructive, is what makes an art form better. Den of Geek's Louisa Mellor has posted her review, at http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/sherlock/46513/sherlock-series-4-episode-3-review-the-final-problem and its a rather good, objective review. 

January 16, 2017 1:32 am  #112

I'm appalled.

I feel sick, and angry, and very upset.

I hate this. They've ruined it.

I'm finding it very hard to like anything about this ridiculous episode.

I am actually crying because I'm so angry and upset. How stupid!

I think I need therapy, a tv show should not be able to make me feel this way!

January 16, 2017 1:39 am  #113

Reasonable review from denofgeek .
Everything went a bit ridiculous in S03 though,  as they pointed out then.
Sherlock Holmes without reason or logic and as one of the stupidest people in the room is an oddity, but none of us here can deny we were gripped or that the acting was mostly superb or that the fandom was the best and most creative and intelligent part - in fact all the plots can be found on this forum before they were ever written . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 16, 2017 1:40 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 16, 2017 1:42 am  #114

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Reasonable review from denofgeek .
Everything went a bit ridiculous in S03 though, as they pointed out then.
Sherlock Holmes without reason or logic and as one of the stupidest people in the room is an oddity, but none of us here can deny we were gripped or that the acting was mostly superb or that the fandom was the best and most creative and intelligent part - in fact all the plots can be found on this forum before they were ever written . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So true!!!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 16, 2017 1:48 am  #115

Meretricious wrote:

I am actually crying because I'm so angry and upset. How stupid!

I think I need therapy, a tv show should not be able to make me feel this way!

I am not sure which part is upsetting you Meretricious, but I think that being upset overall is a valid feeling either way. That's what happens when we have such a long wait between episodes, and with the talent on screen in front of us doing such a damn good job. We see potential. have expectations to a standard, and afterwards its a bit like being a kid the day after Christmas. 

This is an honest question, to mods and other long standing members of the forum, should we open another thread for the criticism or keep it to this thread? I am sensitive to spoiling the buzz others have for their enjoyment of the ep (and season), but I think perhaps another place to discuss where this season went as a whole for those who are critical and want to engage in that conversation, may be best. 

January 16, 2017 1:54 am  #116

It was amazing. I'm . . . lost at life, now. 

January 16, 2017 2:11 am  #117

Vhanja wrote:

I am floored.

That was the most insane, horryfing, chilling, terrifying and awesome ride! 

The Garridebs!

Soldiers!

Victor Trevor!

Parentlock!!!

Omgomgomgomgomgomg!

Yeah, well... *ahem* Gimme a minute, and I will probably be more eloquent later in the thread.

*Dear, I just HAD to quote you, because every, entire thought, reaction & word you wrote exactly matched mine!*
I do however have just a couple more to add...and they are:
GOOD GRIEF!!!  😱

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

January 16, 2017 2:22 am  #118

Whisky wrote:

Carefully asking... is there anyone like me who didn't like it much? Because... I didn't.

You were wise to state that you were "carefully" asking...!
(this IS a fan club of sorts after all)...✌
Without reading all of the other posts yet, I am 98% sure that you stand alone. 💔

Cracks me up always!

January 16, 2017 2:23 am  #119

I watched the episode with four other girls from my university in our residence TV room and....WOW.  I'm still processing.

There was a lot of shocking stuff here.  At the beginning, I wasn't sure I was liking what was happening, but in the end I ended up feeling like it was good, so I think that's what matters.  Once it got going, I was completely entranced in the ride.

When we were in Sherrinford, I was thinking "Hm...this is scary and it's exciting but why do mentally ill people have to be scary villains?"  But I think the point in the end was that compassion can help, that treating them in a cold and inhuman way can make them the villains.  Sherlock eventually showed compassion for his sister.  Maybe if we are all shown compassion, some caring, we don't have to feel the need to lash out at each other.

And can I just say I really liked the ending, when they're back at Baker Street.  It pulled on my heart in the best way.  We love our boys and their adventures.  I liked how she called them that, our boys, after we, and Mrs. Hudson, have already been calling them that.  

I like how they were able to get Moriarty into this.  Even though he's evil and creepy, when he first appeared in the episode, the five of us watching the episode together were all laughing.  Moriarty is great, as evil as he is.  That's what a great villain is all about - Andrew Scott is great to watch as Moriarty.  It was nice to have him incorporated, while still knowing that there's no clever explanation - he really is dead, and that was never a lie.

I have to go to bed soon, since I have to get up early for class tomorrow morning, but I will try to get into the discussions a bit before then.  I need to try and wind down somehow.  I was shaking for a lot of the episode and I think inside I'm still vibrating.

Clueing for looks.

January 16, 2017 2:28 am  #120

tonnaree wrote:

I have drank an entire bottle of wine and I am having hot flashes.
I am hearbroken and overjoyed at the same time.
We had tragedy and pain but were left with hope.
I can't think straight but after being so nervous and upset before seeing TFP for myself all I can do is keep repeating I LOVED IT!!!!!!

Okay now, people are going to accuse me of not being capable of having an original thought AND plagiarism, haha since, once again, YOU my dear put my same feelings to print also!  Including the bottle of wine: (Merlot) ~ what was yours?

Cracks me up always!

Board footera