BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 13, 2017 8:13 pm  #161

Re: TLD Headscratchers

I believe that still John cares more for Sherlock then for a randomly picked man. 
John is a doctor, hospitals are safe places for him.
It is 50/50 for me I can understand both and do not see anything vicious behind it. 

January 13, 2017 8:20 pm  #162

Another one - we know that John never let anybody to help him . So why the hell constantly visits terapists? 

January 13, 2017 8:31 pm  #163

Well he tells Sholto he finds it helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 8:31 pm  #164

That is one that's been bugging me too. Men as a group are notoriously difficult to get to see professional help! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 13, 2017 8:32 pm  #165

The Army seem to be better at encouraging it, now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 8:34 pm  #166

He maybe initially got referred to one by the army, after his injury.  And must have liked it enough to continue ... it's his inspiration for setting up his blog too. 

January 13, 2017 8:36 pm  #167

Snap.

January 13, 2017 8:40 pm  #168

Cross-posted!  I need to speed up!  But yes, it has been an interesting and maybe expected theme throughout the whole series, with a therapist reappearing or being mentioned at key points.

January 13, 2017 8:46 pm  #169

I think it might be his only way of helping himself that he can fathom.  People can be contradictory and hypocritical, after all, even if it's not necessarily in a completely negative way.  He finds it helpful, it was likely encouraged by the military.  Maybe he finds it easier than talking with someone he is involved with in other ways, like a friend.  He'd help his friend, but has trouble asking for help from one.  With a therapist, maybe he sees it as a professional relationship and therefore that makes it easier.

Clueing for looks.

January 13, 2017 8:53 pm  #170

I wonder if after his last experience he is not going to change his mind on this.

January 13, 2017 9:37 pm  #171

Oh, also... most therapists do their work by making you work and solve your own problems. Mine used to ask me very annoying questions to make me come to my own conclusions... 

Maybe that's what Ella did... let him think he was solving his own problems in her room? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 13, 2017 9:38 pm  #172

Isn't that the job of the therapist?

January 13, 2017 9:41 pm  #173

It's a mind game! 

As a healthcare professional John might have been a bit arrogant about the whole thing (like I was) so by making him think he's the one coming up with the answers (while she's actually leading him there, asking the right questions) he would be more likely to follow it... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 14, 2017 12:43 pm  #174

Naavy wrote:

Lullaby wrote:

While watching the hospital scene I wondered why on Earth Myscroft left Sherlock in the CB's hospital? I mean, ok, It's convinient, and they already were at the hospital, but still. Even if he thought all the story took place just in Sherlock's imagination, just to be sure his brother will be safe. He put the police officer at the door, but IMO it would be better to put Sherlock into some verified reliable hospital.  IDK, maybe it was just my reaction. But for a moment I had a feeling that it was intentional. 

And another moment. When Jonn and Greg were talking and someone brought a notebook, in that TV interview CB said that "he might even move Sherlock to his favourite room". John had known already that CB's favourite room was a morgue. I doubt he forgot about this. I expected him to rush to Sherlock just after this words, but nothing happened. 

It is exactly, why I have decided, I do not like John anymore. I have no idea, how far was Sherlock going to go with his initial plan (perhaps he was ready to start a fight, and provoke John to hit him to stop - but surely not so viciously - in order to throw CS off balance, and make him confess). But in the end John was supposed to become Sherlock's protector - and he left. I believe, the walking stick meant "take it, because I will not support you anymore".
CS was happy to announce to everybody his intention of killing Sherlock, since he was sure, almost no one will understand him. But John was one of very few, who understood, and still did nothing, aa well as said nothing to Greg, or Mycroft. Only when he heard Mary's recording, he decided to help. Does it mean, without this knowledge he would let Sherlock die? No mourning can justify that.

I don't think the favourite room point completely clicked in John's mind. He obviously heard Culverton refer to the morgue as his favourite room but then later, with all the emotional drama that had occurred, when he saw the video tape and Culverton mentioned moving Sherlock to his favourite room he knew something about the use of that phrase was odd/important, as evident by his reaction to it, but he didn't put two and together and realise what the statement actually meant. He may have figured it out if he had more time to think about it but he was interrupted by the video being shut off and his thoughts went elsewhere and his mind just dismissed the odd feeling he had regarding the mention of "favourite room". 

I don't think that John would ever deliberately leave Sherlock to die.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 14, 2017 12:57 pm  #175

Lis wrote:

But it looked exactly like that :<
I would prefer very much, if it were something like "...sudden noise drowns out last CS's words, John and Greg are distracted, the news ends..."

January 14, 2017 1:14 pm  #176

Naavy wrote:

Lis wrote:

But it looked exactly like that :<
I would prefer very much, if it were something like "...sudden noise drowns out last CS's words, John and Greg are distracted, the news ends..."

I do not see it like that though and my point above explains why. John had obviously just been through a lot emotionally and, to me, he wasn't thinking clearly enough to connect the dots. He heard the favourite room phrase from Culverton and heard it again on the tape and it definitely triggered something in his mind but he didn't make the connection in order to realise that Culverton was going to murder Sherlock. I've often heard things and heard the same thing later and although it may register as important I've not connected the meanings until after it has been revealed.

If he had made the connection and was leaving Sherlock to die then the message from Mary would have had no effect on him as he would not have cared. It was only after watching the video that he realised the actual, and immediate, danger Sherlock was in and he was worried for his friend.

Last edited by Lis (January 14, 2017 1:15 pm)

January 14, 2017 1:52 pm  #177

Lis wrote:

If he had made the connection and was leaving Sherlock to die then the message from Mary would have had no effect on him as he would not have cared. It was only after watching the video that he realised the actual, and immediate, danger Sherlock was in and he was worried for his friend.

I see it different: John was an army man many years. He needed to learn to cope with stress and danger, and keep thinking, or he would be dead long time ago. And whom he left, was irresponsible, half crazy junkie, who was his friend once, but also was responsible for his wife's death. But the man, to be saved, was the friend, who become the half crazy junkie, to save him. Friend deserved to be saved. Irresponsible junkie made John lose control, and it was better to simply stop thinking about him.

Last edited by Naavy (January 14, 2017 1:55 pm)

January 14, 2017 2:00 pm  #178

Naavy wrote:

Lis wrote:

I see it different: John was an army man many years. He needed to learn to cope with stress and danger, and keep thinking, or he would be dead long time ago. And whom he left, was irresponsible, half crazy junkie, who was his friend once, but also was responsible for his wife's death. But the man, to be saved, was the friend, who become the half crazy junkie, to save him. Friend deserved to be saved. Irresponsible junkie made John lose control, and it was better to simply stop thinking about him.

Yes John was a solider but as this episode told us he is still very much human and humans are liable to make mistakes. Human error. 

January 14, 2017 2:08 pm  #179

I still feel like John thought then "I don't care, what happens to him - not anymore". But I really hope, you are right. 

Last edited by Naavy (January 14, 2017 2:08 pm)

January 14, 2017 2:52 pm  #180

John was army doctor, it is a bit different from soldier, different kind of stress and danger. Doctors are not usually stright in fight. 

It seemed do me also that he was confused but it was too much that day and he was not able to distinguish what is real and what meant like bad joke. 

In addition hospitals calm people . When something happens and the person gets to hospital, gets care there we tend to think that the worst is over, it calms us. 

Board footera