BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2017 8:41 am  #81

Re: TLD Headscratchers

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Since when do nurses wear paper eighties hats ( banned ) and theatre masks to put in a line drip
Is the drug supposed to be a take on Rohypnol. Because ew.

I think that was Culverton putting on a show.  He's very familiar with what nurses actually wear at the hospital.

Kind of darkly funny that the guy who produced the drug allowed him to use it on people, not realising he was going to be one of the subjects. 

And yes, I got the impression Culverton wasn't just using it to confess.  He's a bit overfamiliar with his daughter there. 

January 10, 2017 9:22 am  #82

SusiGo wrote:

Here is another headscratcher: 

We know Sherlock is right-handed, so he would probably shoot up with his right hand into his left arm. John, however, at once goes for the right arm and finds the injection marks there. I have no experience with taking drugs or medication intravenously, but as far as I know you would first go for other parts of the body like feet or groin, using your dominant hand. 

I suppose you would, unless you were running out of 'fresh' skin... something that often happens to users. You can't keep using the same spot... not only do you scar your skin, but you destroy the veins. 

This is a shot in the dark (and I really should know more about anatomy) but perhaps shooting up in your right arm works faster? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 10, 2017 9:52 am  #83

SusiGo wrote:

Here is another headscratcher: 

We know Sherlock is right-handed, so he would probably shoot up with his right hand into his left arm. John, however, at once goes for the right arm and finds the injection marks there. I have no experience with taking drugs or medication intravenously, but as far as I know you would first go for other parts of the body like feet or groin, using your dominant hand. 

It also surprised me but John could not just jump and examine Sherlock hands, this way he could easily check his right hand  so he tried. Sherlock had Wiggins there who might help him and he used right hand and left his left hand for him not to damage  it so much. 
And in addition, John improves his deductions.

January 10, 2017 9:22 pm  #84

The question that will remain a headscratcher forever: how many times did Eurun have to ride the bus with John until he FINALLY stuck that daisy in his hair??

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 9:23 pm  #85

June wrote:

I was also wondering, at the end when Sherlock walks out the door with the hat on and says "isn't that right Mary?" did John imagine it or was Sherlock still seeing Mary too?

Neither. You can see this in the scene... when John was talking directly to "Mary" and admitting to cheating on her, it dawned on Sherlock's face that John has an "imaginary Mary" in his head... 

January 10, 2017 9:24 pm  #86

Has CCTV anything to do with it? Some kind of surveillance, anyhow.

Oh and I really do think Sherlock had 'seen' and 'spoken' to Mary, too.

Last edited by besleybean (January 10, 2017 9:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 9:26 pm  #87

TheOtherOne wrote:

June wrote:

I was also wondering, at the end when Sherlock walks out the door with the hat on and says "isn't that right Mary?" did John imagine it or was Sherlock still seeing Mary too?

Neither. You can see this in the scene... when John was talking directly to "Mary" and admitting to cheating on her, it dawned on Sherlock's face that John has an "imaginary Mary" in his head... 

That.
AND there's also a theory that Sherlock felt terrible too and saw Mary's ghost too.

-----

January 10, 2017 9:28 pm  #88

besleybean wrote:

Yep. I really like it, too.
Maybe he had been dismissing her while on drugs, but later... the hat comment of his doesn't refer to the most recent exchange of John and Mary's so Sherlock couldn't have deduced it. He must have heard her quips himself.

-----

January 10, 2017 9:28 pm  #89

I definitely think so.
I often feel like a ghost myself!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 9:54 pm  #90

ewige wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Yep. I really like it, too.
Maybe he had been dismissing her while on drugs, but later... the hat comment of his doesn't refer to the most recent exchange of John and Mary's so Sherlock couldn't have deduced it. He must have heard her quips himself.

But this Mary was in John's head so either Sherlock must have a different Mary in his head, or Mary is really ghost, nice turn 

Last edited by Preceja (January 10, 2017 9:54 pm)

January 10, 2017 9:56 pm  #91

I don't believe in ghosts.
Neither Sherlock and John were really seeing her.
But they were both imagining her and what she would say and what they would say to her.

January 10, 2017 10:04 pm  #92

besleybean wrote:

I don't believe in ghosts.
Neither Sherlock and John were really seeing her.
But they were both imagining her and what she would say and what they would say to her.

Yeah... that little bit in the end about Sherlock interacting with her too... it added so much poignancy to the alrealy chewy scene!

-----

January 10, 2017 10:19 pm  #93

I meant the ghost just as a joke.   

January 10, 2017 10:25 pm  #94

ewige wrote:

The question that will remain a headscratcher forever: how many times did Eurun have to ride the bus with John until he FINALLY stuck that daisy in his hair??

Ha ha!  I think it must have been just chance - she would have smiled at him anyway.  But it was kind of funny, because when he saw the flower, he thought that was what she had been smiling at.  He was wrong.

January 11, 2017 6:42 am  #95

I was even slow picking up on that...

January 11, 2017 9:11 am  #96

Another questions ocurred to me while rewatching and  propably will not be answered:
How many guns are in Thames (thrown there by Sherlock).
 And how many cups were broken while making the scene with Mrs. Hudson and "earthquake" 

January 11, 2017 11:11 am  #97

A question about the morgue scene: We have John, trained in criminal investigation by now. A doctor who respects living and dead patients. And this man watches CS playing around with a corpse in a most disrespectful way, as good as confessing he is murderer - and then John chooses to believe this man, practically siding with him against Sherlock? Even if he did not believe Sherlock's accusations - he was there when CS kept going on about serial killers, saw him playing around with a corpse. calling the morgue his favourite room. He should at least have been suspicious. 

Moreover, Sherlock talked about CS in quite similar way like he talked about Magnussen - who proved to be a villain, a danger to John and his family, a blackmailer. 

So the scene, even apart from the violence, does not make sense to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2017 11:41 am  #98

You can add to your list the fact that Sherlock predicted John's reluctancy to believe a junkie and invited Molly in advance to prove his mental capacity.

However, I think the wrong daughter made all the difference for John. She was immediate tangible evidence. It went downhill from there with Sherlock hallucinating CS's laughter and brandishing a scalpel. Add to that John's own beef with him... well. I think the whole scene was very believable.

-----

January 11, 2017 11:51 am  #99

SusiGo wrote:

A question about the morgue scene: We have John, trained in criminal investigation by now. A doctor who respects living and dead patients. And this man watches CS playing around with a corpse in a most disrespectful way, as good as confessing he is murderer - and then John chooses to believe this man, practically siding with him against Sherlock? Even if he did not believe Sherlock's accusations - he was there when CS kept going on about serial killers, saw him playing around with a corpse. calling the morgue his favourite room. He should at least have been suspicious. 

Moreover, Sherlock talked about CS in quite similar way like he talked about Magnussen - who proved to be a villain, a danger to John and his family, a blackmailer. 

So the scene, even apart from the violence, does not make sense to me. 

I dont think its that John didn't believe Sherlock, but rather because of things such as
- Sherlock was high
- Had been doing unusual things such as shooting his walls, etc
- Had thought he was being 'tricked', because really Sherlock is unpredictable -tricking John that he was dead for two years, that time on the train when John believed they would die, Sherlock saying he would 'protect' Mary, etc. 
He wasn't against Sherlock but rather almost, confused?
At that moment, Sherlock seemed to be the bigger threat than CS -holding out a scalpel, seemingly out of his mind...
Thats just my thoughts though haha + Sherlock needed to be in danger to save John! He needed to be in question. 

Last one to Sherlock really was his SISSY

January 11, 2017 2:27 pm  #100

My major headscratcher is Greg's complete lack of reaction, when John told him about Sherlock, shooting Magnussenn. It was supposed to be very top secret information. Greg should be startled, or even shocked. Why wasn't he?

Board footera