BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2017 2:32 am  #121

Re: TST - what is real in this episode?

Mycrofts office has never been real .It has always been MP.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 7, 2017 4:13 am  #122

Hello, fellow Sherlockians.  New member and poster here.  I have been reading the many fascinating theories here and elsewhere.  Such an intricate show!
  I am wondering if anyone else thinks that the scene with Sherlock talking to the therapist is not real/MP?  The room in which they are sitting seems odd for a therapist's office, no furnishings beyond the 2 chairs, looks like a attic space or something, stained glass window.  Just struck me as odd.  Also difficult to think of Sherlock seeking therapy, but I could see him trying to find answers in his own mind.
Finally, while I do not ship these two, a thought occurred to me:  could Sherlock be asking the therapist what to do about either his feelings for John or John's feelings for him when he says, "I need to know what to do about John?"
Hoping this week's episode clears up a lot of the weirdness of The Six Thatchers.

"Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" 
"That's his name!"
"Is it?"

January 7, 2017 7:14 am  #123

I thought the same about Ella's room. I mean the walls that don't touch the floor. Rather odd!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 7, 2017 7:22 am  #124

Maybe this is how Sherlock sees the world of psychlogists - a fantastic realm where people talk about sentiments.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 7, 2017 7:31 am  #125

ewige wrote:

Maybe this is how Sherlock sees the world of psychlogists - a fantastic realm where people talk about sentiments.

I like that idea  :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 7, 2017 8:30 am  #126

Well, it could be mind palace - Sherlock's way of working through something that is more emotional than intellectual.   Or it could be real for the same reason.   At the moment, I'm tending to think that this might be Sherlock realising that he has to be part of the human world.  He solved the case, but lost Mary and broke John's heart.   He needs to fix it, but can't do it through being clever. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 7, 2017 8:30 am)

January 7, 2017 8:37 am  #127

I agree, Liberty.
I also tend to think Mycroft's office scenes are always real.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 7, 2017 10:47 am  #128

Schmiezi wrote:

ewige wrote:

I like that idea  :-)

Yes . Me too. 

Mycrofts office has nothing in it he can work with . I think the items are sort of symbolic.
The red eighties telephone , a glass globe , steel file cabinet and a picture of the Queen. The implications of them are obvious but for practical purpose useless. It's nothing like the one we saw John go to which was more realistic.  The lighting seems to make a chess board too. Which is interesting. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 7, 2017 10:49 am  #129

Some scenes in the dark office have to be real... the scene after Sherlock's return… ah, hell, who knows.
Ella's room is the weirdest set I have seen so long. If I had a month of time, I would make some comparison shots between S1-3 and S4 to analyze that feeling of strangeness at 221B. So far I can say: extreme wide angle lens and shots from above. (it also seem dark and blueish, but this need further investigation) Wide angle was used for the scene with Jim in TAB, but there were no shots from above AFAIRemember.

January 7, 2017 11:02 am  #130

Yes. Agree JP Who the he'll knows.

As for Sherlocks return and Mycroft infiltrating the Serbian army after spending an hour learning the language. I always thought that was very lol.Interesting that the sort of climax of series two was shall I fall forwards or backwards to a an almost certain death and a miraculous survival and Jim Moriarty

January 8, 2017 3:10 pm  #131

Small oddity: the evolution of the skull painting ;)
The painting is changing: the later, the more glowing it is. 
The first picture is, just for comparison, from "His Last Vow".

I believe, we have the "material" evidence - whatever we can see in "The Six Thatchers", the story is not  (or not all) told by an objective narrator.

I found the "abbreviation" T6T somewhere in net, and I believe, because "The Sign Of Three" title, this one is more distinctive.

Last edited by Naavy (January 8, 2017 3:14 pm)

January 8, 2017 3:21 pm  #132

The evolution is the right word for it!
Yeah, I too have noticed that the painting started glowing so intensively at some point that the glow illuminated the wall next to it O.o

Funny you mention The Sign of Three... I never thought the titles confusing since it's abbreviated TSoT, but thats for the explanation because I've asked myself a couple of times why ppl also abbreviate TST as T6T.

-----

January 8, 2017 3:30 pm  #133

Yes. Maybe like Bluebell from Baskerville it's been glowing jelly fish biohacked.

Something else I have been puzzling over . The story of meeting death in Sammara was changed by Sherlock to Sumatra? The underground station from TEH where the bomb was? Seems to link up and make the death story as much about Sherlock as anything else. Additionally the bus John gets on has the strawberry fizz explosives on and the man with the newspaper looks remarkably like Lord Moran .
So much in this episode is a call back to previous events . Something of a mash up of then past and present. Hope we do get the true version.  If we dont.

January 8, 2017 3:35 pm  #134

I would have thought that the ever glowing skull just symbolises increasing deaths, or closeness to death.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 8, 2017 4:16 pm  #135

besleybean wrote:

I would have thought that the ever glowing skull just symbolises increasing deaths, or closeness to death.

Yeah, like John's Bilbo's Sting?

-----

January 8, 2017 4:16 pm  #136

I would like this episode to be real, because I'd like to go into the next one knowing that x, y and z have happened. 

(Also it seems a waste to have a fantasy episode directly after TAB.  TAB was a wonderful creative way of fitting a Victorian story into the Sherlock story, and giving us an insight into Sherlock's mind.  But TST appears to be part of the main story, and I'd like it to stay that way.  Thank you very much, Moftiss.)

Either way, it should all be resolved by next week at the latest!

January 8, 2017 4:17 pm  #137

I too want everything to be real and get a good explanation of all the weirdness going on.

-----

January 8, 2017 4:18 pm  #138

I still fear The Resolution.
Oh and Bilbo's Sting?

January 8, 2017 4:28 pm  #139

ewige wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Yeah, like John's Bilbo's Sting?

LOL!  Good one! 

January 8, 2017 4:29 pm  #140

Er, can somebody explain it to me, please?!

Board footera