BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2017 9:51 pm  #61

Re: John´s cheating

sherlocked wrote:

Hi everyone, have refrained from commenting here for a loong time - almost three years. But couldn't resist to take a few peaks at the new threads today after having watched TST.
I have to agree with those who felt that the whole episode had something unreal about it. I had a very hard time to get into it. But I appreciate how the writers tried to work in very clever hints at canon. I postpone final judgement until I've seen the last episode. It might work better in hindsight. I just didn't enjoy it very much as a standalone episode.
I do not believe that everything was a dream or a figment of Sherlock's mind palace. But the unreliable-narrator theory has some plausibility. And I think that the writers/makers deceived us as well on several occasions. I firmly believe that John's midnight texting ("miss me ....it's been too long") is not a chat with the mystery woman but with an old friend, with whom he hasn't been in contact for a while. There's nothing flirty or erotic about it. It's just our dirty fantasy which adds this connotation, since we have seen John flirting with the mystery woman . But the actual words of the texts make it unlikely that the various texts are exchanged with the same person. So, with whom might John exchange texts after a longer hiatus? Some said it might've been Sherlock, but that's not very plausible, since there has been no recent hiatus. My money would be on Mike Stamford, who couldn't even make it to John's wedding for some reason. Too far fetched? Well, it has been mentioned that Mike Stamford would make an appearance in S4. Why shouldn't he be in the morgue at night and exchange some texts with John from one night owl to another? If true I reserve judgement for now if such an exchange will be relevant in later episodes.
But if John was really texting with an old friend while Mary was tending to the baby's needs, he wasn't quite as callous as we might've thought at first viewing. Maybe that's a comforting thought. He might not have acted so OOC after all.

Hi and welcome. You might be interested in this here:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/155359421226/not-a-cheater-but-a-liar-a-meta

I will have to watch both versions again but there could be some truth in it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2017 9:55 pm  #62

Personally I don't see this at all.
As ever I go for the most straightforward explanation, John was cheating.
Anyhow, none of this fits in with the Mary I believe we are shown.
Sherlock and John were never out to get Mary, they both loved her and tried to protect her.
She in turn loved them.

EDIT: however I have already said, this scene is on my list of ones to watch very carefully tomorrow!

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 9:57 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 9:57 pm  #63

I checked it. The tumblr post is right. The versions are different. This is a fact. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2017 9:59 pm  #64

When the article says re-shoot, I don't understand...how do they know the technical team re-shot something, is this from Setlock or something?
Or does the blogger mean the sequence has continuity errors?

Anyhow, none of this leads me to the conclusion of more trying to paint Mary in a bad light.  This is never how she has been shown to me in BBC Sherlock.  Now she's dead and her detractors will stiil not give up.  Sorry, this is how I see it.
For me, John chetaed and we need to deal with it. Though I would love to be wrong on this part at least.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:01 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 10:02 pm  #65

besleybean wrote:

Personally I don't see this at all.
As ever I go for the most straightforward explanation, John was cheating.
Anyhow, none of this fits in with the Mary I believe we are shown.
Sherlock and John were never out to get Mary, they both loved her and tried to protect her.
She in turn loved them.

EDIT: however I have already said, this scene is on my list of ones to watch very carefully tomorrow!

Doesn't really tie in with Sherlock meeting John to plan what to do about the new memory stick and what to do with it. The answer being plant a tracker in it before you confront Mary because we don't trust her not to run off with it. Additionally they or at least Sherlock read it first this time.
When they finally catch up with her - Sherlock seems keener for her to return than John weirdly.
John just comments that he used to like her.Everything in the marriage was wrong.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 3, 2017 10:06 pm  #66

Coming back to the bus stop scene for a moment. I have no idea what is so difficult about this. We are shown the scene twice in the episode. John behaves differently. The scenes are not identical. From this I conclude that one scene is the truth and the other is not. This has nothing to do with setlock, it is in the show for everyone to see. 

January 3, 2017 10:06 pm  #67

Well they seemed in love when she was dying in his arms and did you actually hear John howling like a dead animal and lashing out and Sherlock and did you see the distress in Sherlock's face?
This is exactly what I mean,
Some people did not like Mary, I get that. But can she not now be left to rest in peace?
Of course there were issues in the marriage, many people have issues and get over them...this marriage didn't have time to do that.
The one time I would expect there to be problems was when a newly married couple have a surprise baby and it is very common for men to cheat in those circumstances.

Susi: thank you for explaining that.  I will try and watch the scene properly tomorrow.  I would love to be wrong about the cheating. 

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:09 pm)

January 3, 2017 10:11 pm  #68

SusiGo wrote:

Coming back to the bus stop scene for a moment. I have no idea what is so difficult about this. We are shown the scene twice in the episode. John behaves differently. The scenes are not identical. From this I conclude that one scene is the truth and the other is not. This has nothing to do with setlock, it is in the show for everyone to see. 

Thank you for the link! Somebody is really observant
I love this theory. I'm afraid to be disappointed later if it turns out to be just a continuity mistake.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 3, 2017 10:11 pm  #69

Susie, thanks for the tumbler link. Interesting post. It comfirms my suspicion that the text exchanges aren't what they seem to be. That said, I'm not emotionally invested whether John actually has an affair or not. But the whole sequence of pictures and texts doesn't add up logically IMO.
I think it's unlikely that he works undercover with Sherlock, though. If this idea holds water it will probably be something more sinister. Sherlock has to save him after all.

January 3, 2017 10:14 pm  #70

Undercover work for SOMEONE works fine for me, though. Come to think of it, the whole bus contact thing could be one agent contacting another - as in John le Carree novels

January 3, 2017 10:15 pm  #71

That's the funny thing for me sherlocked, I'm not really that over caring about John or his life.  I am almost 100% a Sherlock girl.
The show is very clever and things are't always as they seem, I know.
But I just sometimes get a bit fed up with certain characters being continually attacked...even when they're dead.
Also, we have had whole complicated discussions about things before and they have indeed proven to be continuity errors.
So who knows?

Edit: actually yes on further consideration, I agree.  The whole bus scene was very much set up like spies exchanging information or being given missions etc...it will be interesting if it does play out further in future and I suppose I have to admit that it would be nice if John hadn't cheated...tho for now, I'm not convinced.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:17 pm)

January 3, 2017 10:16 pm  #72

SusiGo wrote:

Hi and welcome. You might be interested in this here:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/155359421226/not-a-cheater-but-a-liar-a-meta

I will have to watch both versions again but there could be some truth in it. 

This is indeed very interesting.

I must confess, some parts of this scene seemed really off to me - the camera dwelled too long on John admiring himself in the reflection in the bus window. Then we had a cut and didn´t see the rest of the scene. Then suddenly, while travelling on the plane, John had this reflection of the red-haired lady and only then did we see the scene in which he accepts the phone number from her. And the third scene of him meeting her on the bus stop was shown to us even later, after he already seemingly sent her a good-bye message.

But because all three scenes came in that order, that does not mean that was really the order in which they actually took place. Something seems off here. It may be possible that John does not actually sends the texts to this red haired lady - because the scene when he meets her on the bus stop can actually be a second one, not a third one in the actual chronology. Maybe he actually received her number only after sending the texts to the unknow recipient (Mary? or somebody else?)

Also, when he wants to confess something to Mary later, it must not actually be his confession of cheating, he might intend to speak about their eventual split up....

I tend to think John really was cheating in the ep, but I would not be surprised at all if it will come out that something else entirely was taking place here.... the scenes are very deviously filmed and can have other meaning than we think now. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2017 10:17 pm  #73

Yes, I remember people talking about this during setlock. And it would be a nice move to disguise undercover work as an affair. 

January 3, 2017 10:18 pm  #74

We of course still need the texts explaining and John telling the girl it has to end.

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:19 pm)

January 3, 2017 10:20 pm  #75

Who did attack a character here?? We are just trying to interpret what we have actually seen, since it's ambiguous in some people's opinion. But I don't think we need to get wound up about this. Fairly soon all this will hopefully get cleared up.

January 3, 2017 10:22 pm  #76

Besleyb ,  It isn't that I dislike Mary - I like her fine enough as a character - she just wasn't a very nice character. I don't think we should blame the baby because the relationship was in very bad shape before she even came along. Of course John was angry and lashing out at everyone , I think John would do that whatever the circumstances.

As for cheating John , I still think it is a set up. It might be Sherlock sent Elizabeth and if Sherlock is telling the story he imagines ( or in  MP ) - how John reacted?

The links are brilliant and hilarious. Thanks Susie.  " Shakespearean death speach"  LOL.I

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 3, 2017 10:23 pm  #77

It is all fine, sherlocked. We had some very heated character discussions over the years and they tend to pop up again now and then. 

January 3, 2017 10:25 pm  #78

I apologise for my emotional outburst, it follows from having to tolerate:  Mary not really loving John, Mary not pregnant, it not being John's child, Mary having a secret child, Mary killing Sherlock, her dying(taking a bullet for Sherlock) not being enough to repent for this, the marriage being a disaster, Sherlock and John not really bothered about her death....
Funnily enough I cared about Mary even less than I do about John, but I just like to try and be fair about characters and their relationships.

I am sorry Moth, I jut don't get how people cannot see that John and Mary really loved each other and I remain convinced they would have worked things out. John is a broken man because he has lost the love of his life, this is what Mark showed me. I'm not blaming the baby, I'm not blaming anyone.  Things happen.I was trying to explain the situation.

Susi:  you are as ever the mistress of understatement!

Last edited by besleybean (January 3, 2017 10:28 pm)

January 3, 2017 10:25 pm  #79

Ok, Susi, I admit freely that I missed three long years

January 3, 2017 10:37 pm  #80

Thank you, besley, doing my best. 

Board footera