BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2017 9:41 am  #101

Re: TST Headscratchers

I certainly hope so! There are too many faked or possibly faked deaths already. It seems to be a thing of the show that many deaths are questionable. Even if people stay dead the circumstances of their demise are altered - as in CAM's case.

January 5, 2017 6:03 pm  #102

How come the super secret D-notice stuff is being discussed in the office with a glass wall? Isn't it supposed to be a secret meeting?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 6:07 pm  #103

It's hard enough to read a white screen when you're in the room...never mind looking through glass.  Anyhow, they would SEE anybody trying to look or hear...so one could argue it's actually safer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2017 6:47 pm  #104

Here's another "continuity error"... in the scene where these things happen, John's "presence" in 221B is a bit odd...

1. Sherlock tells Lestrade and Hopkins to shut up outside his flat, shuts door and sits down in his chair. At this point there seems to be nothing in John's chair.
2. Sherlock asks for John's opinion during chat with client and suddenly notices red balloon there in John's chair. John then appears from kitchen.
3. Sherlock kicks the client out of 221B. When he shuts the door you hear John (and see the balloon) before you actually see John come into the shot... they have a little banter and John walks from behind his chair to stand in front of the wooden shelving in the background.
4. Hopkins knocks and comes in, but when the shot zooms out again John is not there anymore.
5. Lestrade enters next and when he shows Sherlock the bust suddenly John's there again, in pretty much the same spot in front of the shelving.

Also note that during this scene, John never shares screen time with any other character apart from Sherlock. Even when he's supposed to be part of the conversation with the client and Lestrade, you never see John in the same frame as those other characters.

I don't think John was really there at all.

Last edited by TheOtherOne (January 5, 2017 6:48 pm)

January 5, 2017 6:49 pm  #105

Do we really get to see much of John's chair at the point of Sherlock shouting at Greg and Hopkins?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 5, 2017 6:52 pm  #106

ewige wrote:

How come the super secret D-notice stuff is being discussed in the office with a glass wall? Isn't it supposed to be a secret meeting?

Yes. And everyone has their back to the screens except Sherlock 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 6:53 pm  #107

Well I assume they can turn around if they need to!

January 5, 2017 6:55 pm  #108

There are two screens behind Mycroft, too.
It just doesn't really look like a secret meeting.

Last edited by ewige (January 5, 2017 6:55 pm)

-----

January 5, 2017 6:57 pm  #109

Well Mycroft's just like his brother...loves a touch of the dramatic!

January 5, 2017 7:00 pm  #110

TheOtherOne wrote:

Here's another "continuity error"... in the scene where these things happen, John's "presence" in 221B is a bit odd...

1. Sherlock tells Lestrade and Hopkins to shut up outside his flat, shuts door and sits down in his chair. At this point there seems to be nothing in John's chair.
2. Sherlock asks for John's opinion during chat with client and suddenly notices red balloon there in John's chair. John then appears from kitchen.
3. Sherlock kicks the client out of 221B. When he shuts the door you hear John (and see the balloon) before you actually see John come into the shot... they have a little banter and John walks from behind his chair to stand in front of the wooden shelving in the background.
4. Hopkins knocks and comes in, but when the shot zooms out again John is not there anymore.
5. Lestrade enters next and when he shows Sherlock the bust suddenly John's there again, in pretty much the same spot in front of the shelving.

Also note that during this scene, John never shares screen time with any other character apart from Sherlock. Even when he's supposed to be part of the conversation with the client and Lestrade, you never see John in the same frame as those other characters.

Like Sherlock still adds John to his every day life in his mind palace? I love that idea. That would be another example for watching the MP without being told.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2017 7:01 pm  #111

Do you guys understand why Sherlock asks Mary to meet him at the cemetery? Is it one of his bolt holes? One of hers? Maybe this is how she knows to come prepaired? Either way, the location is still very confusing to me.

-----

January 5, 2017 7:02 pm  #112

You see John's chair in the shot as Sherlock walks to sit down in his chair to talk to the client. Watch that scene again.

besleybean wrote:

Do we really get to see much of John's chair at the point of Sherlock shouting at Greg and Hopkins?

January 5, 2017 7:15 pm  #113

Personally I think if John was shown there, he was there.
This would be a first, otherwise.
What would be the point of showing a character there if he wasn't?
It would make more sense to me if at the beginning a scenario was set up where we see Sherlock engaging John in a discussion and then we cut to the relevant scene, with John being portrayed as 'virtually' there.

January 5, 2017 7:19 pm  #114

Schmiezi wrote:

TheOtherOne wrote:

Like Sherlock still adds John to his every day life in his mind palace? I love that idea. That would be another example for watching the MP without being told.

I'm not sure if it's MP or not... but it's definitely Sherlock playing tricks with us as the narrator of this episode.

January 5, 2017 7:20 pm  #115

besleybean wrote:

Personally I think if John was shown there, he was there.
This would be a first, otherwise.

A first? I don't think so. Just think of all the women in the court room in TSOT. Or the laptops just prior to that scene. Not persons, but not there in reality either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 5, 2017 7:24 pm  #116

Well I mean more if Sherlock was just relating the story to Ella.
I think it was obviously set up as MP in TSOT.
Point in the latter, he was speaking to John and explaining to him, at the time.
He doesn't put Ella in the scenes, does he?

January 5, 2017 10:19 pm  #117

Why would baby Rose have Sharks as a baby mobile?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2017 10:53 pm  #118

It's not only the sharks as her mobile. There are also apples and magpies on the wall, both strongly associated with dear Jim.

-----

January 5, 2017 10:55 pm  #119

The three clown bankrobbers too.

January 5, 2017 11:15 pm  #120

ewige wrote:

Windows from inside- mirrors from outside? Otherwise it is strange to have any meetingroom leading to a more less public hall. 
Another possibility is that the whole area was closed for the meeting as there is nobody in the hall but in that case would be probably easier to find a place without windows 

Board footera