BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2017 10:58 pm  #81

Re: First impressons and discussions

Liberty wrote:

I don't think John did anything terribly wrong, fidelity wise, either.   I thought it would be more than that (as I did wonder if he was going to have an affair), but it was a few texts in the end.  He was tempted, but didn't quite succumb. 

He almost didn't succumb. But then they met at the bus stop and I really think he went all the way thru with that.

Last edited by ewige (January 1, 2017 10:59 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 1, 2017 11:00 pm  #82

We might have different viewpoints on this, but to me, those kind of texts are really bordering on infidelity. Not because of the sex part (which hasn't happened), but the emotional part (flirting, emotional separation from your partner, disloyalty).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2017 11:01 pm  #83

As for bus stop lady - she is much more than we think. She will come back in TLD, believe me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2017 11:01 pm  #84

About the 'affair'. Which I did think seem a bit 'not okay' the way John was creeping about (and personally an 'almost affair' is still an affair to me).

But... didn't she sort of have a bit of Mary about her?

It sort of reminded me of a film I watched ages ago where a woman disguised herself and made her husband fall for her... to catch him cheating...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 1, 2017 11:03 pm  #85

Vhanja wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

I don't understand John in this episode at all. And someone already mentioned it, he is a soldier, he has seen life and death - and we're meant to believe that he would really truly believe in Sherlock's vow? John must know that Sherlock can't always be there to protect them. Of course he is heartbroken about Mary's death, I totally get that, but there is no believable drama in there for me when it comes to his reaction towards Sherlock.

I have to agree with this. I would've thought there would be a MUCH bigger involvement from Sherlock to warrant such a reaction from John. A vow? Seriously? John of all people should know that life (and death) doesn't work like that.

I believe in a reconciliation. And for the first time, this time John ows Sherlock a HUGE apology.

Yes, as a first reaction it's ok, but that He shuts out Sherlock completely because of this is unrealistic. After all He has to realize that Sherlock also lost a friend in Mary. The Focus should be on Sherlock's inner complex after really having lost one game, He clearly didn't expect the situation to turn out like this (weird enough for sherlock).

January 1, 2017 11:06 pm  #86

Okay I edited my initial response to include my reactions to all of the posts before mine.
But I'm now up to where I joined the discussion...so I'll make other responses(to the later posts) here.
Yes...there may well still be some real danger to John: he is Sherlock's weakness.
Plus why would Mary cite him and not Rosie?
I really don't want people to be too hard on Mary: okay yes she excluded Sherlock and John again.  But she was trying to protect them and Rosie.
But then don't be too hard on John either.  He obvioulsy loves his child and will do his best by here.  But it's sometimes difficult for a new dad to adjust.
Well I am about to go to bed, but I want to leave on this note: this episode confirms to me that BBC Sherlock is the best TV show ever.  I have been with Mark and Steven throughout their journey and will stay with them.

Last edited by besleybean (January 1, 2017 11:21 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 1, 2017 11:06 pm  #87

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Also, at the end, did you see that the ballooon John was still there.. 

And hanging down all sad...

Gosh.

There was a lot of TAB about the episode I felt too. How high was he throughout??

Well, that's the puzzle - that he seemed high at the beginning, but we're clearly told that he wasn't.   So either there were no drugs involved (and none in TAB either) OR this is all Extended Mind Palace going in the other direction. 

January 1, 2017 11:07 pm  #88

Liberty wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

Bus stop lady is easily the worst addition they ever did to the show, because of the way they portrayed her as "targeting" John...it takes too much responsibility away from him, as if he wasn't a guy who was getting around beforehand.

Plus, what kind of woman flirts with a guy who wears a wedding ring?

People, men and women, flirt with married people all the time.  Some people honestly don't care.  I knew a woman years ago who only "dated" married men!  She said she liked the challenge.    I don't approve and I don't excuse, I'm just saying it's not an usual thing to happen.

People have open marriages too, and people wear wedding rings without being married  (or being widows/widowers, ironically, given the episode ending).

But still, I think the girl was quite blatantly targetting him - I don't mean that to be judgmental at all, just that it seems possibly sinister.  We all wondered if he'd been targeted by Mary in that way.   I mean that bus stop lady might be working for somebody. 

I don't think John did anything terribly wrong, fidelity wise, either.   I thought it would be more than that (as I did wonder if he was going to have an affair), but it was a few texts in the end.  He was tempted, but didn't quite succumb. 

Also that strange move with her hand to the back of her head while turning away from John... Awkwardness or checking if the wig was still in place?

January 1, 2017 11:07 pm  #89

It must be just grief talking and John will come to realise that it wasn't Sherlock's fault. He also feels guilt for his part with the bus lady and Mary died believing John was perfect when he knew he wasn't.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 1, 2017 11:07 pm  #90

besleybean wrote:

Plus why would Mary cite him and not Rosie?

I think because it's not a real danger from a third party but John being an idiot himself.
Rosie will be fine.
John needs help to be fine.

-----

January 1, 2017 11:09 pm  #91

Lis wrote:

It must be just grief talking and John will come to realise that it wasn't Sherlock's fault. He also feels guilt for his part with the bus lady and Mary died believing John was perfect when he knew he wasn't.

No she didn't die believing John was perfect. She picked up his mobile from the night stand, remember?

Last edited by ewige (January 1, 2017 11:09 pm)

-----

January 1, 2017 11:10 pm  #92

SolarSystem wrote:

tobeornot221b wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

No tears here. It all felt very surreal to me. Will have to watch it again. 

So just this: too much Mary. Not enough John. John is next to non-existent, no good scenes with Sherlock, no warmth between them. If I had to cry, then about this. 

My thoughts exactly.
Not even warmth between John and the baby. I didn't even understand his attraction to the flower power girl. This John was a strange one to me.

I totally agree. Where was all that coming from? I don't understand John in this episode at all. And someone already mentioned it, he is a soldier, he has seen life and death - and we're meant to believe that he would really truly believe in Sherlock's vow? John must know that Sherlock can't always be there to protect them. Of course he is heartbroken about Mary's death, I totally get that, but there is no believable drama in there for me when it comes to his reaction towards Sherlock.

Apart from that: Yes, not enough John, too much Mary, 221B felt totally alien to me... at this point I have completely lost touch with the show.

I am tired, have to get up early again but want to sign everything that was written above before I go to bed.
I'm sad that I was disappointed again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 1, 2017 11:11 pm  #93

Also why would she name her baby after her hidden identity if she had to take a different identity

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 1, 2017 11:12 pm  #94

ewige wrote:

Liberty wrote:

He almost didn't succumb. But then they met at the bus stop and I really think he went all the way thru with that.

I think I missed that.  I thought they hadn't quite got round to going anywhere with it.   But I think you could well be right.  Yet another thing I need to watch again. 

Vhanja wrote:

We might have different viewpoints on this, but to me, those kind of texts are really bordering on infidelity. Not because of the sex part (which hasn't happened), but the emotional part (flirting, emotional separation from your partner, disloyalty).

Well, they are bordering on infidelity, but if it's just the texts (and no intimate Snapchat piccies!), then it felt to me more like the fantasy of a different kind of life, away from crying babies.  I think it's actually really hard to say where infidelity stops and starts.  I think flirting is OK if it doesn't lead to anything ... but I suppose what matters is whether John thought it was OK, and whether he thought Mary would think it was OK.

January 1, 2017 11:13 pm  #95

She didn't mention Rosie because neither her nor John are in physical danger...but John is in emotional danger. She knows how much of a mess John was in after Sherlock died, she knows how sensitive and vulnerable he is. She needs Sherlock to save him EMOTIONALLY.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2017 11:13 pm  #96

ewige wrote:

Lis wrote:

No she didn't die believing John was perfect. She picked up his modile from the night stand, remember?

I thought it was John who picked up the phone? I'll have to go back and watch again but even if she did know, John didn't know that she knew and he still wasn't the one to tell her and that's why he feels guilty.

Last edited by Lis (January 1, 2017 11:14 pm)

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 1, 2017 11:15 pm  #97

Someone on tumblr made screenshots of the texts John wrote in bed and those he made on the bus. It is not the same script. And not the same style of writing. They are not written to the same person. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 1, 2017 11:15 pm  #98

SusiGo wrote:

As for bus stop lady - she is much more than we think. She will come back in TLD, believe me. 

Yes, I expect her to be back, as well. Still, what we've seen of her and John so far tells us one or two things about John. He didn't throw her number away, he contacted her, he texted her in the middle of the night... where was all that coming from? It felt to me as if I don't know this John at all.

edit: Ah, interesting, Susi, thanks for mentioning this.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 1, 2017 11:17 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 1, 2017 11:15 pm  #99

SusiGo wrote:

Someone on tumblr made screenshots of the texts John wrote in bed and those he made on the bus. It is not the same script. And not the same style of writing. They are not written to the same person. 

But how can you tell?
Do you have a link?

-----

January 1, 2017 11:16 pm  #100

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

About the 'affair'. Which I did think seem a bit 'not okay' the way John was creeping about (and personally an 'almost affair' is still an affair to me).

But... didn't she sort of have a bit of Mary about her?

It sort of reminded me of a film I watched ages ago where a woman disguised herself and made her husband fall for her... to catch him cheating...

Well, I wondered if she was an agent hired by somebody.  But yes, she could have been hired by Mary.  Interesting thought.   Maybe that's what Mary is warning Sherlock about in the video. 

There really is more to this, I think. 

Board footera