BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2017 10:11 pm  #302

Re: First impressons and discussions

I had missed that. Thanks for the links!

​To be honest, the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the sharks was Magnussen.

"Now, Magnussen is like a shark. It's the only way I can describe him. Have you ever been to the shark tank at the London Aquarium, John? Stood close up to the glass? Those floating flat faces. Those dead eyes."

Just like old times...

January 2, 2017 10:11 pm  #303

Thank you for finding the links, Liberty!
I'm still confused, tho, and I fear it won't get better by the end of this season! xD

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 2, 2017 10:19 pm  #304

Lola Red wrote:

I also really feared for Mycroft in that moment. First when she took aim, because I feared that maybe she would surprise Sherlock by shooting Mycroft, showing her how very significant she is, taking out one, if not the, most powerful man in the country. Then again when the shot was fired and I just thought "Don't do something sentimental now Mycroft": Seeing Mary take the bullet was still sad, but I have to admit I was glad it was her and not Mycroft, Sherlock or Lestrade. We always knew Mary had to leave the show eventually.

​My thoughts exactly!

​My biggest fear is that they kill Mycroft (he's always been my fav character)

​Of course I knew Mary had to go but I didn't expect her to go so soon in the season, so when I saw Norbury shoot, all I thought was "Don't you shoot at Mycroft, you b****!" ​ and then, when I saw the bullet was aimed at Sherlock, "Oh, no, Mycroft, don't do that!"

​Mycroft is not the self-sacrificing type, but of course, Sherlock is the exception. I've always believed he'd do anything for Sherlock, anything. And I have no problem imagining him taking a bullet for him.

Just like old times...

January 2, 2017 10:25 pm  #305

Thanks for the links to the tweets.  Very silly and wacky, but I guess that's Mark for you.
I thought of Magnussen when I first saw the shots of the shark, too, since there are shots of a shark in that episode when Sherlock gives his description of Magnussen.

Clueing for looks.

January 2, 2017 11:06 pm  #306

Liberty wrote:

Somebody please explain sharks to me.  There have been shark hints for so long now, and now I've seen the episode, I still don't know what they're on about! 

In the scene where Sherlock confronts Mrs. Norbury she actually explains sharks, I think. She compares the world of sharks and its inhabitants to the world of agents and high politics where she was active for most of her life... she notes that they both live in the darkness, surrounded by cold or something similar and states that she is tired of it....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 2, 2017 11:37 pm  #307

Swanpride wrote:

Her point was that sharks are forced to keep swimming their whole life...when they stop, they die.

Yep, that was it! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2017 12:17 am  #308

I must admit I was disappointed yesterday. You've said it already: the episode felt off, the pacing was weird, John was sidelined... However, after the second viewing I like it (and I really surprised myself!). Not my favourite episode (and no tears), but I enjoyed it a lot. Suddenly it all worked for me, except Mary jumping in front of Sherlock, that is just hard to swallow since I haven't swallow the Sherlock-and-Mary-are-good-friends-and-honestly-love-each-other yet and I see Mary too selfish to do something like that. But who knows, maybe after tenth viewing I will accept it as well.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 3, 2017 12:52 am  #309

Hey guys, long time lurker here! Finally decided to jump on board because of this confusing mess of an episode.

I agree with so many of all, it just didn't feel right. The first half felt so fast and bouncy, but was fun, tho it could have been a little more moderately paced. The second half did a total 180 and could have been a separate episode entirely. So many of the characters felt OOC (tho this is canon, so I guess they technically weren't???)I don't know what to think about everything else honestly, I've read too many different theories about everything to have my own right now!

I'm really confused about the timeline of the episode. Not sure whether that's from only watching it once or all the flashbacks in the episode or a combination of both. I also really hope that none of this is MP or EMP, because I can see that being misused so easily to explains flaws in the plot.

Not sure about Sherrinford. At first ,I thought for sure that would be the "other one" Mycroft talked about, but I wouldn't be surprised if Moftiss just took fans speculation about it and twisted "Sherrinford" to be a code or something else. Who knows?

If Mary said she was Rosamind, why did her passport say Gabrielle, as in the G in "A.G.R.A"?

Mary dying actually surprised me a little (though I haven't read ACD in awhile). I'm not sure how I feel about her leaving, but her acting in that last scene was so on point. I was in tears.

Sad how little John did in this episode. It was pretty much possibly having an affair, watching the baby, and trying not to get mad/jealous at Mary and Sherlock. I can understand his grief a little bit, but come on John, Sherlock has stuck with you for a long time, please don't jump to conclusions that it was Sherlock's fault, especially since you walked in after she was shot.

I didn't see "Go to hell" bit as talking about a place at all. It wasn't angry, though maybe a little sinister?

I need Moriarty in this!

January 3, 2017 1:19 am  #310

Hi, I am new here, but I need to ask...

...Am I the only one, who thinks, that Sherlock never managed to fight A.J. in the pool, and the second half (even a bit more, to be precise) of the episode happens in his mind, when he is drowning? 
IMO - that's why in the beginning and in the end of the episode we see water, and that's why in the beginning "Appointment In Samarra" story is told - initially Sherlock believes, that he just avoided certain death, and he is wrong: death awaits him in UK. That's also why some moment episode becomes someway surrealistic - it is not reality, but the delusion, like in "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce.
My only doubt is because similarity between this story, and TAB - delusional Sherlock, again?
But except this, everything seems to fit perfectly together...

Last edited by Naavy (January 8, 2017 12:35 pm)

January 3, 2017 3:12 am  #311

I don't know if someone's already said this: I watched it for the second time today (and of course I cried even more}, and I just noticed that John popped his coat collar in the scenes with Toby My adorable babies! Honestly, this show

Last edited by i'm-so-cHAngeAbLE (January 3, 2017 3:12 am)

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

January 3, 2017 7:35 am  #312

Naavy wrote:

Hi, I am new here, but I need to ask...

...Am I the only one, who thinks, that Sherlock never managed to fight A.J. in the pool, and the second half (even a bit more, to be precise) of the episode happens in his mind, when he is drowning? 
IMO - that's why in the beginning and in the end of the episode we see water, and that's why in the beginning "meet Death in Samarra" story is told - initially Sherlock believes, that he just avoided certain death, and he is wrong: death awaits him in UK. That's also why some moment episode becomes someway surrealistic - it is not reality, but the delusion, like in "An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce.
My only doubt is because similarity between this story, and TAB - delusional Sherlock, again?
But except this, everything seems to fit perfectly together...

Love this!  Could be! 😃

Hi all, it's been awhile!

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's well thought-out comments!   I agree that many things are unsettling about this episode.   But overall, I am thrilled that there is new Sherlock to talk about.

Although the 'feel' of this episode is dreamlike and a bit off,. I did enjoy it.

Mary had to leave the story.   I forgive the writers for including her so much up to now-- mainly because the focus on the core of the stories *the incredible John/Sherlock iconic friendship*  is now ready to return, I hope.     Someone mentioned the many scenes not shown are also important-- unfortunately for us, John/Sherlock scenes were back-burnered this episode.  I do hope that's temporary, and that the contrast/current estrangement will re-ignite future chemistry between the two.

John is a mess right now, in his character arc.  Except his hair, which is fabulous. ( Note that during his amazing grief-wail his hair was featured front and center?.).  Sherlock is the target of his sad/madness right now, and I really hope/expect his anger subsides.  We all want the boys back.   But I guess they are not 'boys' any longer after all they've been through.  Maybe much more interesting though.

The manic first half, with rapid-fire cases, clever canon-nods, and plot points was in stark contrast with the second part, which pushed their story darkly onward.  It didn't always succeed with the pacing, and interactions, but  in general I was impressed (as always) with the symmetry in structure.  Not as brilliantly executed as in ASIB did, or others.. but I enjoyed the bookending start and finish  with aquarium/water (the pool scene being exactly midpoint).   And the merchant/death/Samarra fable.

Other impressions:
Loved Sherlock being almost invisible in the John/Mary intimate discussion in Iran (or wherever that was).. nice repeat of 'it's never twins', though Sherrinford is looming,.  the repeat of many themes, although noticeable in its omission were the mistaking-for-gay jokes..  really enjoyed young pirate Sherlock,. Noticed how the 221B scenes were mostly wide angle, non-personal..  that and the deflated red balloon made those scenes more disjointed and emotionally distant by design.  Great nuanced acting, as ever.
Loved that the Ophelia quirky actress shows up as bus lady...

It must be  tough to make these episodes continue to work as stand-alone movies, when so many plot threads are being addressed.    We may never again feel a gut-wrench like at the end of TRF, but they may surprise us yet!

January 3, 2017 8:32 am  #313

See Personally I am so well over TRF.
In the sense that I lost sympathy with John the moment he hit Sherlock.
My sympathy with Sherlock continued and continues...despite him being a murderer!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 9:26 am  #314

SolarSystem wrote:

Apart from that: Yes, not enough John, too much Mary, 221B felt totally alien to me... at this point I have completely lost touch with the show.

This sums up exactly how I feel.
That's all I can really say for now.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 3, 2017 9:28 am  #315

Tinks wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Apart from that: Yes, not enough John, too much Mary, 221B felt totally alien to me... at this point I have completely lost touch with the show.

This sums up exactly how I feel.
That's all I can really say for now.

But it's so good to read from you again, Tinks! 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 3, 2017 9:45 am  #316

Thanks, Solar

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

January 3, 2017 10:10 am  #317

My whole view of the episode changed when I saw it the second time. After seeing it for the first time I felt confused and overwhelmed. Everything felt "off", including the pacing and the content.

But then I watched it again the day after, and everything fell into place. I love the episode already, and am very excited to see where they are going for the remaining two.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 3, 2017 10:12 am  #318

A lot of things didn't feel right, I agree wholeheartedly about 221B. It didn't feel like 'home' so to say. It felt like a set from a play

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2017 10:16 am  #319

I imagine life with Sherlock is a daily drama.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2017 11:15 am  #320

I've also seen it twice now and the impression I had after seeing it the first time didn't really change. The first half hour is the most boring stuff I've ever encountered when it comes to "Sherlock", I'm constantly thinking 'Get on with it!'. John still doesn't work for me, 221B doesn't work for me. What I do love though in this episode is Sherlock (apart from those 'funny' scenes during the first 30 minutes...). It's very touching watching him try his very best to protect John and Mary, even more so when you're already sensing that he will fail. And he is the reason why the death scene works for me - watching him just standing there while John is crying and then yelling at him... 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera