BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 8, 2016 10:20 pm  #1

Question about Lady Carmichael

It took me several viewing until noticing, but does anybody put any significance into the fact that Lady Carmichael appears in Sherlock's airplane as part of the crew (pilot or whatever the uniform would be) when he comes out of his drug craze the first time? (I trust you had a pleasant flight?" she says.)  Don't know if the writers were just doing a 'he met the pilot when boarding and then gave Lady Carmichael her face in his drug fantasy'...or if there's more to it?  I tried to see if I would spot Lord Carmichael among that same crew, but didn't see him...

I lost count

June 8, 2016 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Question about Lady Carmichael

Oooh, I never noticed this. Are there any other similarities between them?

This might even lend credence to what I posted about earlier, in the tie thread. It's not that he gave Lady C the crewlady's face, but rather possibly the other way around.

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 8, 2016 11:27 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 9, 2016 12:10 am  #3

Yes, that would be very possible that it is the reverse.  Didn't notice anybody else matching...there's the security guy right before the pilot appears...I think one of Mycroft's men, but the face doesn't look familiar.

I lost count

June 9, 2016 5:53 am  #4

I did wonder if there was a tiny point about the pilot being a woman and the cabin crew being male, in view of the switch between 1895 and today (and the focus on women's emancipation in the mind palace sequences).   There's also the hint that he found her attractive (the conversation in the greenhouse).  If the plane sequences are still mind palace and he invented her, then there might also be some symbolism in her piloting the plane, related to either of the two points above!

June 24, 2016 3:25 pm  #5

Settercrazy wrote:

It took me several viewing until noticing, but does anybody put any significance into the fact that Lady Carmichael appears in Sherlock's airplane as part of the crew (pilot or whatever the uniform would be) when he comes out of his drug craze the first time? (I trust you had a pleasant flight?" she says.)  Don't know if the writers were just doing a 'he met the pilot when boarding and then gave Lady Carmichael her face in his drug fantasy'...or if there's more to it?  I tried to see if I would spot Lord Carmichael among that same crew, but didn't see him...

Isn't Lord Carmichael Dr. Frankland from THoB? He looks like him.

June 24, 2016 3:43 pm  #6

No, but it would have been fun if Sherlock had used more characters from "real life"!

Showing my age, but I think of Lord Carmichael as Percy from Blackadder and Dr Frankland as Mike from Casualty! 

June 24, 2016 3:53 pm  #7

I only watched the former, but yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 25, 2016 9:29 am  #8

Danielle80 wrote:

No, they are not.  Different actors.  :-)

I lost count

June 25, 2016 10:20 am  #9

Settercrazy wrote:

Danielle80 wrote:

No, they are not.  Different actors.  :-)

Oh, thats right :-)

Board footera