BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2016 7:25 pm  #161

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

It's not that I want to see more of Mary, not at all, but I agree that we simply need to know a bit more about her background. Otherwise so many things we saw in S3 will never make sense (to me). However, I'm not too thrilled about flashbacks in general, I think telling a story through flashbacks can be a tricky thing. Just like voice-overs, more often than not they don't really work.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 8, 2016 7:27 pm  #162

I do like them and I think if done properly, they can work well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 8, 2016 7:28 pm  #163

nakahara wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I am also having the feeling that the first episode may be flashback heavy.  What with particular actors we know are coming back.  I would like this myself.

And here I hoped that instead of rehashing the old ideas around and around, the show finally moves forward and we get some new exciting content...

The kind of flashbacks I want would not be rehashing.  They would be telling us things we need to know in order for the story to move forward and make sense.

Are you not bothered at all even by the gap between the Watson's domestic and what happened at Christmas?  That is a huge blank space in the story.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 8, 2016 7:35 pm  #164

I thought John explained it most eloquently at Christmas: he got over the shock and once he saw Sherlock forgave Mary, he was able to realise he still loved her and wanted to go forward with her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 8, 2016 7:36 pm  #165

I am curious about that, but I doubt the authors would ever return to that - the same way they never bothered explaining which version of "Lazarus" is the real one.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2016 7:39 pm  #166

Well for me it doesn't matter how Sherlock faked his death, he just did.
Similarly I'm not over bothered about getting other back stories.
But I could see why they'd want to and depending what happens in S4, back story may be needed.

April 8, 2016 7:46 pm  #167

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2016 7:51 pm  #168

besleybean wrote:

Well for me it doesn't matter how Sherlock faked his death, he just did.

Oh, Steven would be quite proud of you. That's exactly how he goes about so many things these days, especially in Doctor Who. "It's the Doctor, get over it!" is basically the explanation to everything. "It's Sherlock, he faked his death, get over it!" works just as well.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 8, 2016 7:54 pm  #169

Well I'm sorry.
I can pretend to care if you like, but I honestly don't.
All I was bothered about after TRF was The Reunion and then that was a major disappointment to me.
Besides, we've moved on so far since then.

April 8, 2016 7:57 pm  #170

It's all fine. I just don't care for sloppy writing, that's all, but that's my problem, of course.

April 8, 2016 7:59 pm  #171

I don't see it as sloppy writing.
I thought it was quite funny, the endless speculation...
And I laughed so hard at the fake resolutions and then the 'possible' real one.
But by then our boys were back together and that's all that mattered to me.

April 8, 2016 8:09 pm  #172

Vhanja wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

John and Sherlock will go see Ella together for pre-marital counseling.  

Sorry, I'll just go back to my corner and read some fic.

Bring this to your corner, a perfect read for this idea. The Norwood Love Builders 

Back to topic: Actually, John and Mary going together might fit, it could be the only hope left of trying to salvage their relationship. 

Good point.  A marriage counselor might be just what the Watsons need, and John already knows and trusts Ella.

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 8, 2016 8:18 pm)

April 8, 2016 8:11 pm  #173

tonnaree wrote:

I see your "ish" and raise you a "pha.......cough."  

I understand so much why (that's something John would not put on a t-shirt )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 8, 2016 8:13 pm  #174

besleybean wrote:

See I like her already and will be(depending on the circumstances)sad if she goes.
But at the end of the day, none of us matter, it's the affect on poor old John.

I agree.  The effect on John will indeed be very painful if he loses his wife and daughter!

April 8, 2016 8:16 pm  #175

nakahara wrote:

If it was up to me, I would definitelly prefer more of John´s past than any of Mary´s...

I agree!  Hint, hint, Moffat and Gatiss!  (I can definitely see a need to see enough of Mary's past to be able to make sense of her actions in Season 3, though.  But I most definitely want to see more of John's own past, now that we've seen some of Sherlock's!)

April 8, 2016 8:17 pm  #176

What else are people wanting to know about John's past?
How would those things be relevant to him and the story?

April 8, 2016 8:18 pm  #177

besleybean wrote:

I don't see it as sloppy writing.
I thought it was quite funny, the endless speculation...
And I laughed so hard at the fake resolutions and then the 'possible' real one.
But by then our boys were back together and that's all that mattered to me.

They were back together, and yet they weren't.

April 8, 2016 8:20 pm  #178

Well, Sherlock acknowledged he made an error in how to return to John...but he's not good with people.
But then John quite frankly really p-d me off, with his reaction to Sherlock.
But he eventually saw sense.

April 8, 2016 8:21 pm  #179

besleybean wrote:

What else are people wanting to know about John's past?
How would those things be relevant to him and the story?

Uh, who his parents were, for one thing?  What did they do for a living?  What kind of parents were they?  When did they die, and what of?   Did he have a pet, as a boy?  Does John have any other living relatives besides his sister and one cousin?  We know that he spent 3 years in Afghanistan--in Kandahar and the Helmand Province--and thanks to his CV, we also know where John was born and raised, and where he went to school and then to college.  But there's so much else we don't know, that at least some of us would like to.

Last edited by kgreen20 (April 8, 2016 8:25 pm)

April 8, 2016 8:24 pm  #180

I don't have any interest in those things and don't see how they are relevant to the story.
But I would like to know where John's anger issues come from.
Ha! 
Though I expect they are from his PTSD.

Board footera